Speculation: KHL after Sochi Games

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
What on earth are you talking about? I have no idea about Canada, but the number of registered players is growing in Finland.

It fluctuates annually and as has been explained in other threads before, in Finland that figure includes recreational players as well. Countries like Sweden and Russian don't include those players in their figures.

LeMAD

Mar 1, 2006
Montreal
lemad.freehostia.com
Holy crap, Kurri is a complete idiot. The level of talent in the NHL is way higher these days. Including 3rd and 4th line players and bottom pairing dmen. Same for goaltenders, as it's not rare to see teams who have 3-4 quality goalies.

When Kurri was playing, there was a ton of guys playing in the NHL that were completely talentless and barely able to skate.

And it's not that the KHL is a bad league, but how many KHLers would be good enough to be legit NHLers? 10? 20 maybe?

The top-3 goalscorers in the KHL are Steve Moses, Nigel Dawes and Stephane Da Costa ffs...

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Although there's clear signs of "singing the bosses song", in th full interview he mentioned KHL own problems. Financial set up being unrealistic, number of teams, the uncertain future of Jokerit. You know, the kind of stuff that gets one branded a KHL hater on this board by some people... ;)

loppa*

KHL own problems. Financial set up being unrealistic

But people have been saying that since day one. Congratulations on being one of the big proponents by only posting negative things. Way to go. No wonder rational people do not take you seriously.

You know, the kind of stuff that gets one branded a KHL hater on this board by some people... ;)

The thing is it highly depends on the manner of posting. If one is exclusively posting just bad stuff, then it is more than obvious that one does not like the league, that one wants bad stuff to the league. ANYONE and I mean anyone who is rational could see both some good and some bad in anything. But when one see's only bad then it's safe to assume some degree of blindness, stupidity, or maliciousness.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The thing is it highly depends on the manner of posting. If one is exclusively posting just bad stuff, then it is more than obvious that one does not like the league, that one wants bad stuff to the league. ANYONE and I mean anyone who is rational could see both some good and some bad in anything. But when one see's only bad then it's safe to assume some degree of blindness, stupidity, or maliciousness.

Development can come only through criticism. If there is some thing wrong, you point it out, you don't swipe it under the rug. Feel free to link any post where I have not pointed the unrealistic financial set up of the KHL, unrealistic expansion plans and said they need to focus on keeping Russian clubs healthy via smarter business model.

loppa*

Development can come only through criticism.

I disagree.
You see, in academia, at universities, one has an advisor. And sure, constructive criticism is good and necessary. However, when one is doing nothing but criticism, then one gets a reputation of being an @$$#0|4 ...
The reason such bad reputation is attributing to that is because there's something wrong there. One ought to give credit where credit is due. You don't do that man, you say nothing which in any way is remotely positive or suggestive of anything nice.

Development can come only through criticism.

Typically I don't reply to the same quote twice, but I have to emphasize this bold part. This is precisely where I disagree. It is an exhibition of exclusiveness... I don't think it's productive to be so exclusive, to be closed off to other things, to other possibilities. I am critical of some KHL stuff, I have been a number of times, but, I am not exclusively critical. I think a balance is needed, because being an extremist of optimism or an extremist of negativity is not good.

unrealistic ... plans

Well, it was unrealistic that the KHL would be where it is today, and I am sure that what we see in the future will also be unrealistic by yesterday's and today's standards.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Development can come only through criticism. If there is some thing wrong, you point it out, you don't swipe it under the rug. Feel free to link any post where I have not pointed the unrealistic financial set up of the KHL, unrealistic expansion plans and said they need to focus on keeping Russian clubs healthy via smarter business model.

Which is a reasonable assertion that most would agree with. It's perfectly reasonable to be critical while simultaneously providing opinion/advice thats positive and I dont see how your statements could really be interpreted in any other way in most cases....

Lets move along please. :)

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
There's a fine border between constructive criticism and your carping. As the mod said, let's move along.

And it's not that the KHL is a bad league, but how many KHLers would be good enough to be legit NHLers? 10? 20 maybe?
This is just a ridiculous opinion. You could just move SKA to the NHL and they would be a legit team.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
It fluctuates annually and as has been explained in other threads before, in Finland that figure includes recreational players as well. Countries like Sweden and Russian don't include those players in their figures.

It's irrelevant whether the figure includes recreational players or not, the overall number is still on rise and it's doubtful that it's the recreational players who are single-handedly growing it. I'm not sure what are you trying to argue about since according to the IIHF's player surveys, the number of registered players is growing almost everywhere. In 1990-91, USA Hockey's national membership stood at 195 125 players, and now 25 years later, it has grown to 519 417. Hell, you even have talent coming from California and Arizona these days.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It's irrelevant whether the figure includes recreational players or not, the overall number is still on rise and it's doubtful that it's the recreational players who are single-handedly growing it. I'm not sure what are you trying to argue about since according to the IIHF's player surveys, the number of registered players is growing almost everywhere. In 1990-91, USA Hockey's national membership stood at 195 125 players, and now 25 years later, it has grown to 519 417. Hell, you even have talent coming from California and Arizona these days.

Did I say anything about the US numbers declining? They have the big upper mid-class, that can afford the sport. Also, our numbers tend to fluctuate due to the number of children born into the age group. Just a few years ago we had a drop of 9000 players.

Last edited:

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Did I say anything about the US numbers declining? They have the big upper mid-class, that can afford the sport.

It doesn't matter whether the players are from Canada and USA, the talent pool is growing so I can see why they are planning to expand.

LeMAD

Mar 1, 2006
Montreal
lemad.freehostia.com
There's a fine border between constructive criticism and your carping. As the mod said, let's move along.

This is just a ridiculous opinion. You could just move SKA to the NHL and they would be a legit team.

The only team that might be worst on paper than CKA is the Sabres...because the Sabres were tanking for McDavid.

Again, how can you explain that the three best goal scorers of the KHL are AHL caliber players?

loppa*

I would suggest not comparing apples and oranges, alright? That's the problem with the anti-KHL individuals...

I forget the name of that NHL guy who went to Minsk or what team... he had like one point in nine games and got kicked out. I think he is or was on Winnipeg's team, but I don't have enough respect nor time to look him up.

punchonico99

Jan 2, 2014
Quebec
I would suggest not comparing apples and oranges, alright? That's the problem with the anti-KHL individuals...

I forget the name of that NHL guy who went to Minsk or what team... he had like one point in nine games and got kicked out. I think he is or was on Winnipeg's team, but I don't have enough respect nor time to look him up.

Evander Kane

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Fetisov, new member of KHL Board of Directors, to Admiral site:

google translate
I recall that I stood at the origins of the KHL. Back in 2005-2006, it was called the Euro-Asian Hockey League. This was a certain sense. After talking with the top leadership of the country, we planned that the development of the League would have to be specific. I know that lately Gennady Timchenko has spent quite a lot of meetings with the leadership of the Chinese sports. The two next Olympic Games will be held in the Asian continent, of course hockey will be of particular interest. Develop without us to a competitive level, they can not. The logic in the expansion to the East is. For hockey in general is developing new markets, serious prospects. It seems to me, is not far off the option that has been proposed for a long time: the creation of the Pacific Division, which will play teams from our neighboring countries. I think it's a matter of time.
http://www.hcadmiral.ru/news/1342/

Arlus

Apr 3, 2014
Europe
Fetisov, new member of KHL Board of Directors, to Admiral site:

google translate

http://www.hcadmiral.ru/news/1342/

Would be something, but till there are other aspects that should be addressed by KHL. Regarding 'foreign' clubs, they should do something to make the league attractive. At this point you can't even talk about an expansion and clubs like Lev, Donbass and maybe Slovan are not/or will not be in the league. It's ridiculous to think that increasing the prize money from revenues (which aren't impressive) will make a club to think at this option when the costs of playing in KHL are higher than their regular budget for a couple of seasons.

Unfortunately (from a perspective of seeing a league with more European clubs in), what I can see now, the tendency is to work for the Russian national team and on the financial aspect the situation is worrying as we will see a league even more unbalanced than the past season.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yes, yes, good Russian plan. Create KHL team in the country where nobody gives an eff about hockey, get bunch of cheap skill-less Canadians to play for it since they have no local players, beat the crap out of them on regular basis, feel superior and make motherland proud in the process. Oh and it's all for their good too since it's a huge help because "develop without us to a competitive level, they can not.".

Such great friends Russian comrades, such good plan, 10/10.

Sucro

Rhymesayers Fanboy
May 11, 2013
Vienna
Who likes Shanghai? :D

Mr. Chernyshenko

1. Japan and South Korea would be better candidates to join the league before China.
2. A team would have no Chinese-born players.
3. Beijing and Harbin would be more suitable for hockey in China.

The VHL, MHL-B or even Bandy Superleague would make a lot more sense for now in China.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki

I sure would. :clap:

Mr. Chernyshenko

1. Japan and South Korea would be better candidates to join the league before China.
2. A team would have no Chinese-born players.
3. Beijing and Harbin would be more suitable for hockey in China.

The VHL, MHL-B or even Bandy Superleague would make a lot more sense for now in China.

Bandy? That's not even an Olympic sport, why would the Chinese have any interest in investing in it?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00