Speculation: KHL after Sochi Games

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I sure would. :clap:
Good to hear that there are people who see KHL potential in chinese market. ;) KHL match in China next season should be a test of interest of chinese fans. Not done deal yet but the league want to play in China next season.

loppa*

Yup, they're decades apart from becoming an actual hockey nation. You just don't go from 0 to respectable in a few years in today's hockey world, South Korea's learned that.

Croatia also is not an actual hockey nation.

But the moral of the story that I get is that Russian media is full of ***** at some times. I mean, this can't be true, can it?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
What is Jokerit fans (not Jokerit/KHL haters) reaction to possible expansion into China?

Sucro

Rhymesayers Fanboy
May 11, 2013
Vienna
Bandy? That's not even an Olympic sport, why would the Chinese have any interest in investing in it?

There was an increased interest in bandy after its debut at Asian Winter Games in 2011 and there were talks on its further expansion in Asia. For some reason, it's not scheduled to be there again in 2017, but it may be back some time later.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
There was an increased interest in bandy after its debut at Asian Winter Games in 2011 and there were talks on its further expansion in Asia. For some reason, it's not scheduled to be there again in 2017, but it may be back some time later.

:laugh: Bandy's just about dead outside of Russia and Sweden. Nobody cares about it in Finland anymore.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Nobody replied, so I leave this here.

Chernyshenko was interviewed by TASS, he said

We have several potential candidates from Europe, with whom we work. They wont play next season, but season after next one there is a huge probability ( very likely). I am talking about famous brands from superhockey nations like Jokerit and Slovan .

punchonico99

Jan 2, 2014
Quebec
I wonder what team he is talking about. Maybe Sparta Praha? or a team in Switzerland, I know there were a few speculations about Genève in the past since Rotenberg is financing their new arena.

I'm suprised Chernysenko is talking about expansion though. I thought he was concentrating more on getting the league to a financially stable state before expanding.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I wonder what team he is talking about. Maybe Sparta Praha? or a team in Switzerland, I know there were a few speculations about Genève in the past since Rotenberg is financing their new arena.

I'm suprised Chernysenko is talking about expansion though. I thought he was concentrating more on getting the league to a financially stable state before expanding.

We have to know if his words about expansion are for real or only political statements. We dont know it, we have to analyse his speeches.

If his words are true, then he is talking about
1) top club/s
2) from "hockey countries" and
3) CHL club (does not have to be with A license)

IMO it does not have to be club/s which has been rumoured in past.

PS: Alessandro is right.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Hybrid rinks would have helped in developing better Russian defensemen.
:rolleyes: no, they wouldn't. If anything, they would create more limited defensemen who lack mobility that is needed on big ice. We have a lot of problems in developing defensmen, but I hardly consider ice size an important factor. All great Russian and Soviet defensers were trained on olympic ice too.

Btw, how can size even be hybrid?..

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
:rolleyes: no, they wouldn't. If anything, they would create more limited defensemen who lack mobility that is needed on big ice. We have a lot of problems in developing defensmen, but I hardly consider ice size an important factor. All great Russian and Soviet defensers were trained on olympic ice too.

Btw, how can size even be hybrid?..

Smaller rink would bring in more aggressive forechecking and help Russian defensemen get more familiar with that. Bigger rinks mean less forechecking and more passive style, which means defensemen are under less pressure at their own end. Russian defensemen these days have issues playing against harder forechecking.

Hybrid rinks mean the size between the NA and international size, 28m X 60m. Some mistakenly call it Finnish size. Not every rink in Finland is that size, there's huge variation. Czechs also have almost equal variations in their rinks.

Last edited:

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Smaller rink would bring in more aggressive forechecking and help Russian defensemen get more familiar with that. Bigger rinks mean less forechecking and more passive style, which means defensemen are under less pressure at their own end. Russian defensemen these days have issues playing against harder forechecking.

Big ice emphasizes passing and skating though. The problem of our defensmen is primarily a fundamental lack of skill, which is obvious at the international stage, it has nothing to do with ice size. Style isn't dictated by ice size only as well, or you can say that smaller ice means trapping and dump and chase.

I understand what it means, I just say that average isn't hybrid...

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Big ice emphasizes passing and skating though. The problem of our defensmen is primarily a fundamental lack of skill, which is obvious at the international stage, it has nothing to do with ice size. Style isn't dictated by ice size only as well, or you can say that smaller ice means trapping and dump and chase.

I understand what it means, I just say that average isn't hybrid...

That 2 meter difference doesn't increase percentages of dumping the puck. If you'd watch Finnish league games you'd know that pretty much all the teams try to play some variation of puck control hockey, no matter what their rink size is.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
The problem with defensemen is skating. Too few have speed, great balance on their skates, and ability to handle the puck. The result is being forced to back in and concede the zone to the oncoming attack instead of blunting the attack at the blue line, inability to take possession of the puck because of lack of speed, and the inability to safely clear the puck out of the zone and/or launch an attack up ice because of the inability to handle the puck.

Throughout the WHC (not just against Canada) we saw opposing teams continuously cycle the puck in the defensive zone, blasting away shot after shot on goal. Eventually, they start going in! Smaller ice doesn't fix the problem - IMO it makes it worse, because it diminishes the need for speed and quickness, and relieves them of responsibility for clearing the zone under control.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The problem with defensemen is skating. Too few have speed, great balance on their skates, and ability to handle the puck. The result is being forced to back in and concede the zone to the oncoming attack instead of blunting the attack at the blue line, inability to take possession of the puck because of lack of speed, and the inability to safely clear the puck out of the zone and/or launch an attack up ice because of the inability to handle the puck.

Throughout the WHC (not just against Canada) we saw opposing teams continuously cycle the puck in the defensive zone, blasting away shot after shot on goal. Eventually, they start going in! Smaller ice doesn't fix the problem - IMO it makes it worse, because it diminishes the need for speed and quickness, and relieves them of responsibility for clearing the zone under control.

Actually smaller ice increases the demand for quick decision making and ability to clear the puck under pressure. It's why e.g. Esa Lindell and Jyrki Jokipakka were much better at it at the Worlds than our KHL defensemen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad