Speculation: KHL after Sochi Games

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
KHL Board of Directors had a meeting today. There were three main topics at the meeting - strategy of development, revenue sharing and draft.

1.Strategy of development for next 3 years

- Hockey days on Rossiya 2 will be on Monday. That is a reason why play off games starts at the same time.

- "We have been developing best commercially succesful hockey league, which consists of russian clubs and is attractive for best clubs from former CCCP region, Europe and Asia" said Chernyshenko

- Strategy of development will be based on three principls: economically sustainable model, as best level of play as possible and league attractive for fans

2.revenue sharing

- KHL starts to share revenues with clubs, they will start with around 100 millions rubles.

- money, which are shared, will be divided into three categories.

Category 1 - every clubs gets the same amount of money.

Category 2 - attractiveness of tv product. Clubs, which television translations from its arena are more attractive, will get more money.

Category 3 - results. If you get to play off, you will get money. Dont know if they will increase amount of money for clubs which will get to finals or become champions.

Clubs will have to invest this money into hockey development, not for salary of GM.

3.draft

- Draft will be called "ярмаркa талантов" (yarmarka talentov), which means something like marketplace of/for talents.

- The change is that clubs can sign unrestricted amount of own 17y players since January 1 to April 30. Agents offers young players within this period contracts in CHL, league wants to stop leaving players to canadian juniors.

- minimal salary of young players, which sign the deal with parent clubs, will be 2 millions rubles (not 1 million) and entry contract will be for 3 years as now.

- Yarmarka talentov will take place first Saturday after IIHF World Championship.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
What is that supposed to mean?

Rossiya 2 sometimes broadcasts KHL in night, so tv rating are low. KHL wants to increase tv ratings, so Rossiya 2 will broadcast KHL on Monday primary. IMO derbies/best matches will be played on Monday.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
What do you think about new KHL policy (under Chernyshenko) on social media. I am not sure if KHL had verified account on twitter in Medvedev era, now the league has verified account.

League shares pics with stats of teams/players during playoff on social media. IMO it is good thing, the league is closer to fans.

E:
Plus more articles in english? As I right? And informations about meetings of Board of Directors/Executive Board. This type of info was not released under Medvedev.

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
KHL commercial rights and TV channel production put out for tender

The Kontinental hockey League is inviting tenders from companies interested in acquiring the commercial rights to the KHL, and in producing and distributing the KHL-TV and KHL-TV HD channels. The decision to place these services out to tender was made in order to maximize the commercial potential of the League and improve the quality of its services as stipulated by the KHL Development Strategy, adopted on the 27th of February, 2015.

The bidding process is to be conducted in Russian and is split into two stages: In the first tender, the League invites bids from professional sports marketing agencies which have proven international experience in the sale of media and commercial rights and also experience with the sport of hockey. The commercial rights being put out to tender include the rights to broadcasts of KHL games all across the world, excluding the Russian Federation. The League also invites bids from companies interested in attracting and liaising with sponsors of the KHL Championship.

The second tender invites applications from a professional company which can create and deliver a top-quality TV product, one which serves the development of the League by meeting the strictest international standards of quality in the field of sports broadcasting.

The deadline for all applications is the 15th of May, 2015.
http://en.khl.ru/news/2015/04/20/234143.html

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Fasel gave an interview to russian agency Rsport.

KHL clubs wont play CHL in its second season, again. Why is CHL not interesting for KHL?

You should ask KHL leadership about it. I know, that some clubs would like to play CHL. KHL has exhausting schedule, so many games. So I understand why KHL does not want to join another tournament. We will see, I have tried many times to persuade KHL leadership to join. We should continue to persuade them to come back to european family. I can say that it is difficult to crown champion of european club´s hockey if russian clubs does not join the tournament, I say it is pointless. Maybe we should change the concept/principles of CHL. IIHF has only 12% stake in CHL operating company. Majority belongs to clubs and leagues, and there is sometimes different opinion about CHL developing among IIHF and founder clubs/leagues of CHL. Future and fans will decide if CHL is successfull or not. There is too many clubs in CHL. If there are six to eight swedish and finnish clubs in CHL, then the tournament becomes essentially a competition of two countries. In princile it is good that such tournament exists in Europe, but we should rethink the concept of the CHL.

Do you think that first CHL season was successfull if we look at attendance?

No. Two swedish clubs played in final, so we should take this factor into account. The moment/time will come when all sit at one table to negotiate tournament which will be common and successfull for all european hockey. They will try to work together not one against another like now. Finally, fans will decide if this tournament is interesting for them. Attendance was low, media interest not so big, but there is a deal for three seasons, so we will see the results after those years.

loppa*

Is it known how many games will be played?

Any news of truncating of the euro hockey tour?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Is it known how many games will be played?

Any news of truncating of the euro hockey tour?

Euro Hockey Tour was two tournaments this season and also next season. It is expected to go back to 4 tournament after next season. Russian media publicized it as a done deal with all 4 federations in agreement but Finnish sources said the Czechs want to see how the double headers at home do.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Thread "Do you think the KHL champ can beat a NHL team?" is locked, so I leave this here...

@jhiitela · 25m 25 minutes ago

Jari Kurri, currently GM of KHL team Jokerit and board member of KHL had some interesting comments in our interview today….
@jhiitela · 25m 25 minutes ago

Kurri: "There’s been a lot of negative publicity surrounding KHL in last few years, but I’d be more worried about what’s happening in NHL."
@jhiitela · 24m 24 minutes ago

"Quality of game in NHL has decreased dramatically in last two decades. Lack of skill has meant that game’s entertainment value has…” (1/2)

”…flattened.” (2/2)
Kurri: "Game has changed a lot in last two decades."

Kurri: "In NHL size rink there isn’t just enough time and space anymore, players’ speed and physicality has improved so much."

”Kurri: "When there’s no space, you can’t create game. And I mean GAME. "

Kurri: "I’ve heard for NHL inner circles that they consider increasing the size of rink. That’s true story."

Kurri: "It’s not that hockey should be played in rinks size of an airfield…” (1/2)

Kurri: ”… but some kind of consensus should be reach between NHL rinks and traditional European rinks.” (2/2)
@jhiitela · 23m 23 minutes ago

Kurri: "KHL has it’s own problems, but game is in good shape. That helps a lot. With that, league can fix it’s other problems."

Kurri: "And what is top level in NHL anymore? Whatever it is, of course SKA St. Petersburg and CSKA Moscow could win best NHL teams."

Kurri: "There’s no doubt about that."
@jhiitela · 22m 22 minutes ago

"Of course NHL has most of the best players in the world, but in team level I don’t see much difference between top teams in NHL and KHL."

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Ive been saying that all along, SKA could beat ANY team in the NHL. In addition, NHL has not expanded in more than 15 years and hockey programs around the world continue to improve and provide more top calibre players than ever before... Result? Exactly what Kurri says - level of game decreases. NHL is too saturated, they need to increase by at least 5 teams to fix the problem, and there is proof. Scoring levels even in the last 5 years has dropped. No one even hit 90 points this year. Even 3 years ago, Malkin hit 109 points. That's a whopping 25 point differential between leading scorers. This is simply a result of too many top grade goaltenders and players in the league (ratio= top players/teams).

Furthermore, we see players transferring seamlessly from KHL to NHL and more NHL players flowing to KHL than 5 years ago. NHL needs to water down the level of play or else it will soon suffocate its top players. Ovechkin is the greatest scorer the game has ever seen, he should be netting around 60 goals a year as Bure was basically doing in his prime, not just 40/50. The end result of Bettman's fatal errors are a stronger KHL, as it will collect NHLs overflow. The only thing left to prove this are matches against the 2 leagues, which KHL has been persistent in developing while NHL has been equally persistent in turning down.

loppa*

Ive been saying that all along, SKA could beat ANY team in the NHL. In addition, NHL has not expanded in more than 15 years and hockey programs around the world continue to improve and provide more top calibre players than ever before... Result? Exactly what Kurri says - level of game decreases. NHL is too saturated, they need to increase by at least 5 teams to fix the problem, and there is proof. Scoring levels even in the last 5 years has dropped. No one even hit 90 points this year. Even 3 years ago, Malkin hit 109 points. That's a whopping 25 point differential between leading scorers. This is simply a result of too many top grade goaltenders and players in the league (ratio= top players/teams).

Furthermore, we see players transferring seamlessly from KHL to NHL and more NHL players flowing to KHL than 5 years ago. NHL needs to water down the level of play or else it will soon suffocate its top players. Ovechkin is the greatest scorer the game has ever seen, he should be netting around 60 goals a year as Bure was basically doing in his prime, not just 40/50. The end result of Bettman's fatal errors are a stronger KHL, as it will collect NHLs overflow. The only thing left to prove this are matches against the 2 leagues, which KHL has been persistent in developing while NHL has been equally persistent in turning down.

The NHL was very different when Gretzky and Bure played than it is today. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

As for the NHL, many say that the league's problem is that it has TOO MANY teams, and that as a result the quality of hockey is much less than it was in the past.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

NHL's problem is that there's too many teams (though not many), bringing in more teams would lower the quality of teams and play.

Also it needs to be pointed about the Kurri interview for Ilta-Sanomat that he couldn't even name the top teams in the NHL, which suggests that he doesn't really follow the NHL or watch games that much. Also worthy of mention from the same interview (paper version):

Q: In 3 years, will Jokerit be playing in the KHL or have they returned to Finland?

A: I don't know for certain. Impossible to answer, what with all the political problems still going on.

loppa*

Also it needs to be pointed about the Kurri interview for Ilta-Sanomat that he couldn't even name the top teams in the NHL, which suggests that he doesn't really follow the NHL or watch games that much.

The top team in the NHL in the last month or two was Ottawa. Yeah, Ottawa. Hence it is difficult to say what the top team is in the NHL. It is not like in the KHL where four teams in the east and four teams in the west are clearly ahead, in the NHL that difference is not so apparent, as has been seen in Ottawa's outstanding performance in their last 1/4 of the season.

Consider watching the NHL sometimes, you might get more insight that way- now yes I admit that it is difficult to follow from Europe due to the time difference. But if it is possible, consider doing that? That may be better than to repeat my points about the league size, because if you did that then you could contribute more interesting things, I think.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The top team in the NHL in the last month or two was Ottawa. Yeah, Ottawa. Hence it is difficult to say what the top team is in the NHL. It is not like in the KHL where four teams in the east and four teams in the west are clearly ahead, in the NHL that difference is not so apparent, as has been seen in Ottawa's outstanding performance in their last 1/4 of the season.

Consider watching the NHL sometimes, you might get more insight that way- now yes I admit that it is difficult to follow from Europe due to the time difference. But if it is possible, consider doing that? That may be better than to repeat my points about the league size, because if you did that then you could contribute more interesting things, I think.

I've watched a lot of games over the last couple of years since my part tiem gigs at the national post service ended due to their financial woes. I''ve watched the last 4 finals live via HD streams and I've watched most of Anaheim's games when Teemu was still playing. It's safe to say I've seen more NHL on tv over that last 4 yearrs than Kurri and I could easily say Blackhawks have been at the forefront of modern hockey in the world. Even several Finnish hockey journalists commented last year the the Western Conference Final had two of the most offensively modern teams playing it, a fact I mentioned several times on the main board thread here while watching the games.

loppa*

Psh, anyone can say that, I don't believe you, especially considering that you openly admitted that you like to criticize. Such an attitude has taken away your credibility.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Psh, anyone can say that, I don't believe you, especially considering that you openly admitted that you like to criticize. Such an attitude has taken away your credibility.

Feel free to search my posts from the GDTs over the years either from the main board or Anaheim's section, stats don't lie.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Kurri played hockey as a pro, he is professional, working in hockey whole life. On the other hand KHL haters are ordinary fans whose opinions are not worth of Kurris. Period.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
NHL's problem is that there's too many teams (though not many), bringing in more teams would lower the quality of teams and play.

This is backwards thinking, You think hockey is at the same level 15 years ago when the NHL last expanded, this is what you suggest? Back in those times their were many weak players in the league which is why Jagr could put up 120 (150 a few yrs prior) points in a year. Gary Roberts did a story about it too, how much stronger the players have gotten from when he entered and existed the league, how training has transformed the players. Now every player even down to the AHL is properly trained and can not look out of place in the NHL. Back 10 years ago this was not the case, still common for any goons, drinkers, etc.. to have a place in pro hockey.

In addition, look at hockey in Europe, the rebound of Russian hockey, the emergence of the Swiss and other smaller countries. Look even at the states, their hockey program has increased 3 fold. Where was the USHL 15 years ago, look at it today, constantly expanding and still increasing the amount of drafted players into the NHL. Production of pro calibre hockey players world wide has increased maybe by 5x(ballpark) since y2k. No way there shouldn't be more teams.

Conclusion: If you take qualitative analysis of players based on opinions from players, coaches etc and compare quantitative analysis (statistics of players), it is conclusive that there is evidence that the league has more stronger players per team than in the 15 yrs ago. NHL leading scorer should be hitting at least 100 points benchmark, otherwise the league is to deep.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
This is backwards thinking, You think hockey is at the same level 15 years ago when the NHL last expanded, this is what you suggest? Back in those times their were many weak players in the league which is why Jagr could put up 120 (150 a few yrs prior) points in a year. Gary Roberts did a story about it too, how much stronger the players have gotten from when he entered and existed the league, how training has transformed the players. Now every player even down to the AHL is properly trained and can not look out of place in the NHL. Back 10 years ago this was not the case, still common for any goons, drinkers, etc.. to have a place in pro hockey.

In addition, look at hockey in Europe, the rebound of Russian hockey, the emergence of the Swiss and other smaller countries. Look even at the states, their hockey program has increased 3 fold. Where was the USHL 15 years ago, look at it today, constantly expanding and still increasing the amount of drafted players into the NHL. Production of pro calibre hockey players world wide has increased maybe by 5x(ballpark) since y2k. No way there shouldn't be more teams.

Conclusion: If you take qualitative analysis of players based on opinions from players, coaches etc and compare quantitative analysis (statistics of players), it is conclusive that there is evidence that the league has more stronger players per team than in the 15 yrs ago. NHL leading scorer should be hitting at least 100 points benchmark, otherwise the league is to deep.

Great analysis and break down!

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

All of this doesn't take into account that hockey has become more expensive than ever and is becoming an upper middle class sport. Sooner or later it's going show in countries where hockey is among the tops sports. Canadians have already mentioned how kids are turning to soccer and in Finland the costs are driving kids to floorball because parents can't afford license fees and equipment costs.

Driving up the scoring diluting the quality of teams with expansion teams is absolutely an asinine idea. Besides, a common factor in all leagues is that defense wins championship, not offense. Therefore it's very likely that new teams would play very defensively against the big teams because defensive systems have developed more rapidly than offensive. Would NHL really be happy too the Blackhaws play a trapping Las Vegas team X times during the season?

loppa*

Excuse me. I disagree. I disagreed first, and I feel I should answer.

You see, the issue is that by the 1990s the NHL was already watered down significantly, in my opinion. Just look, we can see a whole string of teams joining the NHL during the 1990s...
San Jose joined in 1991. Tampa Bay and Ottawa joined in 1992. Anaheim joined in 1993. Nashville joined in 1998. Nashville joined in 1998. Columbus and Minnesota joined in 2000.
Jagr accumulated a lot of points only because he played with Lemieux.
What happened after this expansion/addition? I think it's more than fair to say that the quality of hockey went down a lot. We also saw a reduction in the point total scored, if I am not mistaken.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
All of this doesn't take into account that hockey has become more expensive than ever and is becoming an upper middle class sport. Sooner or later it's going show in countries where hockey is among the tops sports. Canadians have already mentioned how kids are turning to soccer and in Finland the costs are driving kids to floorball because parents can't afford license fees and equipment costs.

What on earth are you talking about? I have no idea about Canada, but the number of registered players is growing in Finland.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad