Rumor: Kevin Weekes Reports Allen Could Be Signed to Multi-Year Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
You can retain on 3 contracts max. With Drouin, Dadonov, Monahan & Byron in their final years, the Habs will only be able to retain on 3 of them. If you add Allen to that list, it would leave you with 5 players, so two of them would have to be traded without retention. And unfortunately, the goalie market doesn't always net you the best return.
If the extension is for small money, and he does well, Allen could have trade value anyway, notwithstandinbg deadline considerations.

If the extension is for not-so-small money, I'm against it. It can wait until the TDL time.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Fine with this, I wanted to trade him under the assumption he wouldn't be interested in sticking around but if he's happy to stay here then I'm perfectly fine with a 2-3 year deal (although I really hope it's 2). I don't really support the notion of just trotting out an absolute garbage tandem during a rebuild, and Allen makes sense as a guy who can stick around as a starter for now and then settle into a 1A/1B tandem with hopefully Primeau eventually.
As @JoelWarlord said to me in another chat.. it's important for the development of young players to not have terrible goaltending behind them, so every mistake is a goal against.
Damn that guy sounds smart

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Extending him seems pretty useless. Why not wait for the offseason or deadline? He will be 33 at the start of next season. There is plenty of Jake Allen in the NHL. We could always trade him at the tdl and get him back for 1 year after.

Also trying to find a new #1 should be the goal. With Montombeau and Primeau it's not happening so they gotta find him somewhere else.
Plenty of Jake Allens you say?

Name me three others of his caliber and price tag that are available please :)

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you because getting some assets back at TDL would be nice, but there is no guarantee we get to re-sign him after. I am not comfortable moving forward with Primeau and Montembault lol. We need someone in net as a stop gap while we try to find our future starter.

Allen is good enough for that role, plus he's cheap. So I think re-signing him is our best bet here for the short term.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
There is a market for him, that's not the issue. Why would they trade him for a 3rd round pick or similar just to be out on the hunt for another goalie when Price is out? He's as good as what's out there for trade right now.

Yes, that's what I mean when I say there isn't much of a market. A 3rd rounder doesn't benefit us enough to move him. If someone were offering a 1st, then I'd move him.

Reactions: Guy Larose

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Yes, that's what I mean when I say there isn't much of a market. A 3rd rounder doesn't benefit us enough to move him. If someone were offering a 1st, then I'd move him.
True, Even if its a 2nd round pick it will be from a contender and likely be 50th overall or later. No point when he would have to be replaced anyway.

Reactions: viceroy and 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
True, Even if its a 2nd round pick it will be from a contender and likely be 50th overall or later. No point when he would have to be replaced anyway.

Yeah I think playing in from of decent goaltending helps the youth develop. So even if we could get a lower level replacement on the waiver wire, or ufa market next summer, probably better to forgo adding a 2nd and keep the solid vet.

But late 2nds can be good. We recently got Hutson and Kidney at the end of the 2nd round

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
The way things are currently going, goalies remain valuable even when late in their careers.

There is a shortage of quality goaltending in the league. I'm not afraid of keeping Ray Allen for 2 or 3 years until we find our new goalie. I'm pretty sure he'll still be tradeable down the road.
I don't think anyone here wants to see Ray Allen in goal. :sarcasm:

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
As @JoelWarlord said to me in another chat.. it's important for the development of young players to not have terrible goaltending behind them, so every mistake is a goal against.

Allen is certainly capable of being good enough to do that.
100%. That's why most expansion teams historically have secured strong goaltending right out of the gate.

An environment where a team is always out of the game early because of bad goaltending isn't good for anyone.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
After the Primeau deal - I don't see an Allen extension. Should see what is offered come deadline first.

Allen - 1 year
Monty - 2 years
Primeau - 3 years

Price is off fishing on the coast of Robidas island.

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

Jul 6, 2016
After the Primeau deal - I don't see an Allen extension. Should see what is offered come deadline first.

Allen - 1 year
Monty - 2 years
Primeau - 3 years

Price is off fishing on the coast of Robidas island.
It's gonna give lots of time to evaluate Dobes, Dichow, Vrbetic and Croteau.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
A solid backup 1B goalie is harder to find than some of you seem to realize. Toronto, Edmonton, Ottawa are going for it with goalies who are no better than Allen, but are more expensive. Minnesota is relying on 38-year old Fleury.

We're not winning a Cup with Allen alone, but he could be part of a winning tandem when the Habs begin trending up in a couple of years. A decent extension will solidify our backend while we see what we have with Primeau/Dobes/Dichow.
Did Habs draft a goalie this year? Habs really should have good scouting on Goalies at all times and draft one every year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Did Habs draft a goalie this year? You really should have good scouting on Goalies at all times and draft one every year.

Last time the Habs didn't draft a goalie was in 2018.

In the last 4 drafts:
Croteau (2022)
Vrbetic (2021)
Dobes (2020)
Dichow (2019)

Reactions: Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad