Rumor: Kevin Weekes Reports Allen Could Be Signed to Multi-Year Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Would be pretty damn silly to have two tweets like that to announce a 3rd string goalie. Might be a bigger move but you have to think that we would have delayed the press conference today if that was the case.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
We don't really have much in the pipeline for goaltending so I understand the reasoning behind keeping Allen. Just don't know why it's happening now instead of waiting until the deadline. That's not to say that he definitely won't get traded although it's unlikely at this point.

frapp10

Feb 21, 2015
Allen’s next contract will start when he’s 33. 2 years max and hopefully he won’t regress. In that time we will need to find a legit starter for the future

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Someone really need to explain this emoji thing to Kevin Weekes. "Keep an eye :eyeemoji: on" is redundant, either type "eye" or use the eye emoji not both, Kevin.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Why would we sign him? He will be very valuable with 50% at the TDL and he can’t possibly be the solution mid/long term…
He could be very well liked in the locker room, especially with the young core. That alone may factor in keeping him around.

Him for another 2-3 years or a slightly better goalie that may or may not jive with our players? Stick to what you know and expect, we’re not exactly in a position to contend.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I'm good with Allen and Monty. Both compete hard and care, but they don't do a good enough job to win you games. With this tandem last year, Habs still finished last.
Allen was great for us and singlehandedly got us points in the standings. If it weren't for injuries (such as the time Petry tried to kill him by pushing Larkin into him) we would have had a couple more wins. The defense is still atrocious so I don't see us being outside the bottom 5 anyways, but I feel like we could have got a nice asset with him retained at 50% and we got another stop-gap instead.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Why would we sign him? He will be very valuable with 50% at the TDL and he can’t possibly be the solution mid/long term…

You can retain on 3 contracts max. With Drouin, Dadonov, Monahan & Byron in their final years, the Habs will only be able to retain on 3 of them. If you add Allen to that list, it would leave you with 5 players, so two of them would have to be traded without retention. And unfortunately, the goalie market doesn't always net you the best return.

Reactions: viceroy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad