Rumor: Kevin Weekes Reports Allen Could Be Signed to Multi-Year Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Extending him seems pretty useless. Why not wait for the offseason or deadline? He will be 33 at the start of next season. There is plenty of Jake Allen in the NHL. We could always trade him at the tdl and get him back for 1 year after.

Also trying to find a new #1 should be the goal. With Montombeau and Primeau it's not happening so they gotta find him somewhere else.

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
Allen seems like a good guy to keep around. He can be the starter for now, and then a mentor later. His advice was integral to Primeau’s AHL playoff success.

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
I wanna say I called it but don’t think I actually posted it here lol. I was thinking for a while now that it makes sense to resign Allen. You can’t throw your prospects to the wolves.

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Since Weekes is making it seem like a big deal, I decided to start its own thread. Mods can choose to delete it if they want to.

At 4:30 this afternoon, Weekes tweeted this:

Then he tweeted a picture of the city of Montreal:

Then tweeted a picture of an empty net at the Bell Center:

Then tweeted this:

I like Kevin Weekes and all. But he's too self conscious about who gets "the scoop."

We care about the news and the quality of reporting, not about who broke it first.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Allen won't steal that many games for us, but he'll keep us from being embaressed most nights, which will be important for our young guys the next few years. He will be a good bridge to whoever is hopefully our next long term starter.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Veteran who is good in the room and happy to take a back seat and be a back up if one of the young kids emerge.

Imagine the cap hit and term is low so can still be traded at any time necessary.

Reactions: Andy

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I’ve been saying for awhile Allen is more valuable to our team then in a trade. He can be a Cristobal Huet type stop gap until we find a long term solution. Bad goaltending is not good for the morale of the team. Allen’s cheap and can do the job for a few years.
He's a leader in the room also apparently so I'm not really surprised if he gets a 3-year deal or something.

Reactions: DailyKaizen

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Why would we sign him? He will be very valuable with 50% at the TDL and he can’t possibly be the solution mid/long term…
True but we need a veteran to guide a young goalie when they come up to the NHL and I don't think you want a crappy one which will put all the pressure on the young goalie.

HostileCapSpace

Jul 1, 2019
Montreal
I like Allen and they'll need some veteran presence in goal moving forward if they can't find a clear cut number one. Just not sure why the rush to extend him now - what happens if he's plagued with injuries this season? Not the end of the world but seems risky for an aging G that's not necessarily going to be a hot commodity on the free market moving forward - especially with the numbers he'll post with our terrible D corps this year. But yeah, as far as backups or 1Bs go and veteran presence, he's solid IMO.

Reactions: BLONG7

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
Montreal should target Hugo Alnefelt from Tampa Bay its not ideal for his development with Vasi running the show in Tampa as nr 1 and will play 60 games or more potential 6-7 years from now.He would fit more into Montreal schedule with a new starter in 1-2 years.

Think Hugo has a lot more upside then Primeau has.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Now why would we want to extend Allen? Can’t we find a better starter than him?
I didn’t anticipate this happening and don’t see the urgency of signing what amounts to a goalie who is only at his best in a back up capacity.

I get that he’s an upstanding guy with great character, a good mentor and is selfless. Maybe there’s the appeal of an affordable extension at a reasonable term? In the grand scheme, you still need veteran players but he’s not durable and is getting on, age-wise. Maybe there is a short term deal to be had, I don’t know.

It’s just odd that Weekes would go through all of this rigamarole just to announce the possible deal of a player already under contract with the same team when Weekes’ usual breaking news are major trades and new signings by organizations.

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I don’t understand why Allan gets resigned. Hughes himself said he didn’t see a number one goalie in Montreal, last year. With Monty under a 2 year deal, Primeau should be a full time NHLer next year, and Allan I’m the last year of a very tradable contract, re-signing him now seems very odd.

Reactions: Runner77

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
If it wasn’t for Allen the Habs don’t make the playoffs in the covid year , which would mean no cup run. He’s been excellent for the Habs, stats don’t tell the whole story.
True, but being in the bad division of Cdn teams, and playing 56 games is what actually made it happen.
Allen and the team were barely ok during the season.

I didn’t anticipate this happening and don’t see the urgency of signing what amounts to a goalie who is only at his best in a back up capacity.

I get that he’s an upstanding guy with great character, a good mentor and is selfless. Maybe there’s the appeal of an affordable extension at a reasonable term? In the grand scheme, you still need veteran players but he’s not durable and is getting on, age-wise. Maybe there is a short term deal to be had, I don’t know.

It’s just odd that Weekes would go through all of this rigamarole just to announce the possible deal of a player already under contract with the same team when Weekes’ usual breaking news are major trades and new signings by organizations.
A trade involving Allen is more likely than an extension....you would think.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Montreal should target Hugo Alnefelt from Tampa Bay its not ideal for his development with Vasi running the show in Tampa as nr 1 and will play 60 games or more potential 6-7 years from now.He would fit more into Montreal schedule with a new starter in 1-2 years.

Think Hugo has a lot more upside then Primeau has.

He's not really any better than Dobes or Dichow.

Dostal is the guy you wanna target out of Anaheim if they are gonna stay with Gibson.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Stupid move signing Allen. Habs could get asset for him. About a Beck or Hutson caliber pick.

Allen decent player but not make team a good team. He'll improve Montreal slightly. But just enough to costs us couple/three slots in draft. Habs want to try for Bedard not patch it up to slightly improve. In 3 or 4 years Montreal be good team. Shot at a Cup you want the star player. Hard to win without one.

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
Stupid move signing Allen. Habs could get asset for him. About a Beck or Hutson caliber pick.

Allen decent player but not make team a good team. He'll improve Montreal slightly. But just enough to costs us couple/three slots in draft. Habs want to try for Bedard not patch it up to slightly improve. In 3 or 4 years Montreal be good team. Shot at a Cup you want the star player. Hard to win without one.
Allen is an asset. We need an nhl goalie sorry to say. Andrew Hammond was our best goalie when Allen was injured. I don’t want anything after Allen in the depth chart and I’m sure the players would rather play in close games and not worry about what shot will go in from anywhere on the ice with the trash we have in net after Allen. It gives the team confidence and competitiveness and prevent bad habits such as constantly in defence mode which would actually hurt development. Primeau could end up being something but so far he’s been terrible. Can we stop with bedard? We aren’t close to the worst team in the league. There’s at least 5 teams below us as the billion man games lost last year due to injury which shattered the NHL record. You can pray for more injuries if you want

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad