News Article: Kevin Maxwell and Chris Morehouse leave the Rangers

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Everyone talks about the McLIrath and Jessiman but really the later was part of a different regime before the 2005-06 reboot.

Sanguinetti over Giroux and Del Zotto over Carlson (I was 10000% certain they were taking Carlson) are on par with McLIrath.

The Rangers drafted a lot of decent to good players for a long time and the record and deep playoff runs back that up. However it's time to fix the center problem and draft some skills guys and new voices are needed in the room.

With that I'm not too upset that Maxwell and Morehouse are gone. The infrastructure needs a shift. Bring it on.

Reactions: leetch99

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Everyone talks about the McLIrath and Jessiman but really the later was part of a different regime before the 2005-06 reboot.

Sanguinetti over Giroux and Del Zotto over Carlson (I was 10000% certain they were taking Carlson) are on par with McLIrath.

The Rangers drafted a lot of decent to good players for a long time and the record and deep playoff runs back that up. However it's time to fix the center problem and draft some skills guys and new voices are needed in the room.

With that I'm not too upset that Maxwell and Morehouse are gone. The infrastructure needs a shift. Bring it on.

Morehouse was here for 2 years.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Meh. The big difference is that in that 2017 draft, the obvious candidates haven't really proven to be significantly better.

With McIlrath, we're talking about missing out on Jaden Schwartz, Vladimir, Tarasenko, Evgeny Kuznetsov and Cam Fowler.

With Jessiman, it's Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, Dustin Brown, Brent Seabrook and Brent Burns.

The 2017 draft, we missed out on Casey Mittelstadt, Owen Tippett, Gabriel Vilardi and Michael Rasmussen. While better than Lias Andersson, hardly on the same level as those others. And those 4 were in the conversation for that 7th overall pick. Yeah, it was a bad pick but even if we had gone based on the most common draft rankings we still wouldn't have a top-6 player. Guys like Suzuki, Thomas or Norris.

Lias Andersson was ranked higher than Miro Heiskanen by the way.
Was this the Ranger's list?!? Miro is unanimously ranked higher than Lias in all the draft rankings I could find. Pronman had Lias higher than Makar, Petterson, and Necas though 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: TheGortonConspiracy

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Was this the Ranger's list?!? Miro is unanimously ranked higher than Lias in all the draft rankings I could find. Pronman had Lias higher than Makar, Petterson, and Necas though 🤣

No, Lias was ranked higher than Heiskanen by the Central Scouting

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Not my job to figure that out...we have a new GM who continues to gut the front office for a reason. He obviously realized they have been underperforming on the scouting side. Hopefully he realizes the PD staff has also been lacking & rectifies that as well.

That's not what happened here with Maxwell and Morehouse. They weren't "gutted by Drury".

Also, Glass and Ortmeyer have been with the organisation 3 years. Players who made the team since, who they were in direct contact with:

K'Andre Miller
Zac Jones
Nils Lundkvist
Braden Schneider
Morgan Barron

Others who reports have been positive about so far:

Brennan Othmann
Will Cuylle
Adam Edström
Matt Rempe
Ryder Korczak
Brett Berard
Matthew Robertson
Hunter Skinner

All things considered, their track record is better than fans make it out to be. People just obsess over the fact that they were 4th liners themselves when they were in the NHL, when I've already shown that that is irrelevant when looking at what can arguably be considered the best developmental organisations in the league.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
That's not what happened here with Maxwell and Morehouse. They weren't "gutted by Drury".

Also, Glass and Ortmeyer have been with the organisation 3 years. Players who made the team since, who they were in direct contact with:

K'Andre Miller
Zac Jones
Nils Lundkvist
Braden Schneider
Morgan Barron

Others who reports have been positive about so far:

Brennan Othmann
Will Cuylle
Adam Edström
Matt Rempe
Ryder Korczak
Brett Berard
Matthew Robertson
Hunter Skinner

All things considered, their track record is better than fans make it out to be. People just obsess over the fact that they were 4th liners themselves when they were in the NHL, when I've already shown that that is irrelevant when looking at what can arguably be considered the best developmental organisations in the league.

The Rangers have been a B+ organization with development for almost 20 years now. The dark ages stigma is over and anyone who makes a statement "they're bad at drafting" is contrarian and lazy.

The issue is they need to develop some elite scorers from scratch. They've literally had two homegrown players hit 30 goals since the 2005-06 lockout. Kreider this past year is the highest scoring homegrown forward they've had since maybe Amonte?

It's not easy but if every other franchise can do it, it's time to get new minds in here to break that streak.

We know they can develop goalies and DMen and two way middle 6ers.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The Rangers have been a B+ organization with development for almost 20 years now. The dark ages stigma is over and anyone who makes a statement "they're bad at drafting" is contrarian and lazy.

The issue is they need to develop some elite scorers from scratch. They've literally had two homegrown players hit 30 goals since the 2005-06 lockout. Kreider this past year is the highest scoring homegrown forward they've had since maybe Amonte?

It's not easy but if every other franchise can do it, it's time to get new minds in here to break that streak.

We know they can develop goalies and DMen and two way middle 6ers.

But Glass and Ortmeyer are relatively new. We can't really say they failed when the players they have tried to develop aren't even 3-4 years removed from their draft. Guys like Ciccolini, Hughes and Kjellberg are still in college. Cuylle, Korczak, Rempe, Henriksson, Chytil, Edström, Jones, Miller, Robertson and Schneider will all be in the NHL or AHL and none of them are older than 22.

Tanner Glass has been in his current role for 2 years
Jed Ortmeyer has been here for 5 years

Some people are talking about these guys as if they've been here as long as Glen Sather. Glass and Ortmeyer basically talk to any prospect not on the Rangers. College, juniors, Europe, AHL. Their track-record isn't as doom and gloom as people think.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
But Glass and Ortmeyer are relatively new. We can't really say they failed when the players they have tried to develop aren't even 3-4 years removed from their draft. Guys like Ciccolini, Hughes and Kjellberg are still in college. Cuylle, Korczak, Rempe, Henriksson, Chytil, Edström, Jones, Miller, Robertson and Schneider will all be in the NHL or AHL and none of them are older than 22.

Tanner Glass has been in his current role for 2 years
Jed Ortmeyer has been here for 5 years

Some people are talking about these guys as if they've been here as long as Glen Sather. Glass and Ortmeyer basically talk to any prospect not on the Rangers. College, juniors, Europe, AHL. Their track-record isn't as doom and gloom as people think.
Glass and Ortmeyer are fine. I'm not calling for their heads.

New minds are needed in draft strategy and skills development. I'm looking more at Ciaccao.

They finally drafted centers this year, it's a start.

Every other team has drafted players that turn into Kempes or Ahos. It's time for the Rangers to start having those and figure out what the problem is.

It's time to not have a string of prospects leave Hartford.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Flyers picked Giroux after Rangers took Sanguinetti.

Bobby Clarke--Philly's GM was flummoxed at the podium and botched Giroux's name. The Rangers had upstaged him. He wanted Sanguinetti too. Which is to say that the Flyers had they been in the position the Rangers were would have absolutely taken Sanguinetti. That they weren't and didn't and ended up with the much better player is kind of a lucky accident of draft history for them.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
The team's record at drafting quality NHL players, at least in the past couple decades, is pretty strong. They have failed to draft true star-caliber skaters, for sure, but we've done a pretty consistently good job churning out players with picks from the mid and late rounds.

Really, it's the McIlrath and Jessiman picks (particularly the latter) that color the perception of the terrible drafting. Had they drafted Tarasenko instead of McIlrath, like all the fans wanted, and picked basically any player other than Jessiman--then I think most people would look at this organization as one that drafts well. Like keep all the players the same but swap the two I mentioned for Tarasenko and one of Getzlaf, Dustin Brown, or Parise, and it probably seems way better. I'm not suggesting anyone excuse or overlook those picks, I just think it's really interesting how two high-profile whiffs in 20 or so years really makes everything look so bad.
If they did what you just outlined, we more than likely would NOT be an original 6 team w one cup in 80 years and yes, that would drastically change the view of our scouting and drafting.

Reactions: Shadowtron

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Flyers picked Giroux after Rangers took Sanguinetti.

Bobby Clarke--Philly's GM was flummoxed at the podium and botched Giroux's name. The Rangers had upstaged him. He wanted Sanguinetti too. Which is to say that the Flyers had they been in the position the Rangers were would have absolutely taken Sanguinetti. That they weren't and didn't and ended up with the much better player is kind of a lucky accident of draft history for them.

"Much better" is a vast understatement lol

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY

I'm not really upset about Giroux, nobody really had him on their radar. Flyers were going to take Sanguinetti in fact. Flyers only picked Giroux by accident and luck after we took the player they wanted.

Del Zotto over Carlson is a different story, though.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
All-Draft Team 2000-2018. Lots to like. Then add the UDFAs like MZA and Girardi.

Kreider-Stepan-Buchnevich
J.T. Miller-Dubinsky-Callahan
Duclair-Chytil-Fast
Hagelin-Anisimov-Weise

Staal-Zidlicky
Skjei-Del Zotto
Graves-K. Miller
Sauer 😔

Lundqvist
Shesterkin
Genuinely surprised that I find the F group way more impressive than the D.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers website added a few new names. Ari Vuori is the Rangers director of European scouting. He had the same position with the Maple Leafs. John Lilley worked with Vuori in the Maple Leafs organization.

They hired a few new scouts.

Doug Gasper-Former Brandon(WHL) GM. Former Canucks scout.
Derek Richard-Former Canucks scout.
Pierre Rioux-Former Leafs scout. GM of Q team.
Ernie Vargas-Former Wild scout. He covered the US.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4