Kevin Lowes sorry record for the Oilers...

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
Does anyone else hold out hope that this hiring of Messier as a consultant may mark the end of the Lowe era?

I mean, if there was ever a guy who'd cut his best friend's throat to win some hockey games, its Messier. No one else in the old boy's club is gonna do it.

I'm hoping he comes in, looks around, then pulls Katz aside and says, 'this guy's gotta go'.

Unlikely? Improbable? Crazy? Yeah... I know... It goes to show how sad things have gotten that this is the best chance I can see to get rid of this cancer.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Kevin Lowe has an issue with his temper.

He's been known to smash computers in his office when things aren't going his way.

For real? That would certainly fit with the arrogant personality and the mistreatment of players.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Flames fan coming in peace. We had the same issue with Sutter bringing in all of his brothers and cousins and it made for unaccountable place of nepotism. While I was one of many who wanted Ken King moved or gone, we at least got him taking less of a role in hockey. While Burke has its critics, we're just happy there was something done. We feel for you in this regard if people believe its a problem.

Best of luck and hopefully the BoA will return to its glory!

Thanks, I would love to see the rivalry with the intensity of the glory days.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Does anyone else hold out hope that this hiring of Messier as a consultant may mark the end of the Lowe era?

I mean, if there was ever a guy who'd cut his best friend's throat to win some hockey games, its Messier. No one else in the old boy's club is gonna do it.

I'm hoping he comes in, looks around, then pulls Katz aside and says, 'this guy's gotta go'.

Unlikely? Improbable? Crazy? Yeah... I know... It goes to show how sad things have gotten that this is the best chance I can see to get rid of this cancer.
These guys friendship goes back almost 35 years. It's very important to all of them. It looks like a sanctuary for all of them. Messier isn't going to come in here and demand Lowe or anybody else be removed. Even if he did, how would that change anything? We'd be going from one guy who has already proven he is in over his head to another guy with ZERO experience in running a hockey team at any level. You want to waste another dozen years watching another unqualified guy exhaust every option he can think of? Unless the next guy is an experienced executive with no ties to this organization things around here will never change.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth

Burke was right about Lowe running the team into the sewers. At the end of the clip its cut off but Lowe calls Bobby Ryan a suspect pick at number 2 overall and goes on about how Anaheim has no prospects.

Wow, I forgot about this video. I'm blown away that he had the audacity to not only attack Burke, but Bobby Ryan (who I can only wish was an Oiler), Keenan etc.

This team will Never win anything with this clown in the organization, and another year of loosing, might just see the attendance start to wane. I have heard that there are a number of vacant luxury boxes this year, I wonder if this is true.

FelixPotvin29

Oct 21, 2012
Curious question Oilers fans... in the video Kevin Lowe says the Oilers are in year 3 of the rebuild prior to this season.

Is that correct?

I realize what he is saying chasing "the dream" perhaps with an inferior team but didn't this rebuild happen 5 years ago?

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Curious question Oilers fans... in the video Kevin Lowe says the Oilers are in year 3 of the rebuild prior to this season.

Is that correct?

I realize what he is saying chasing "the dream" perhaps with an inferior team but didn't this rebuild happen 5 years ago?

They like to rewrite history in this city.

Laodongxi

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
You forgot Vanek. Imagine Ebb's, MPS, Hall and RNH on Buffalo.

How in the world Regier never jumped on that offer sheet is pretty amazing in hindsight. And he still has his job too. Probably not for a great deal longer though.

Gives me the horrors just thinking about that scenario. It hasn't really been discussed that much it seems. Buffalo fans should be pissed.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Amazing that people on this board still thumb their nose at Burke who has a far, far better overall track record and rebuilt the Leafs in a shorter time span with the benefit of zero top 3 picks.

Just watch him re-build the Flames even faster around Monahan and Baertschi. Burke is bold when it comes to trades and he wins most of the them.

Ironlife

Jul 13, 2011
Calgary
One Playoff performance more than the Oilers, im sure 99% of this fan base would KILL for one playoff appearance.

Some of you fans deserve a winning team after so many years of crap.

I donno about the rest of the oilers fans, but I am sick of seeing that stupid futurama flames head in a jar. Go back to your own board. Don't need your pity here.

edit- you ruined a good show for me...

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

How in the world Regier never jumped on that offer sheet is pretty amazing in hindsight. And he still has his job too. Probably not for a great deal longer though.

Gives me the horrors just thinking about that scenario. It hasn't really been discussed that much it seems. Buffalo fans should be pissed.

Eberle was taken with Anaheim's first rounder from Pronger trade. The Oiler's 1st rounder went to Anaheim (Penner OS) and eventually wound up in Bufallo (Myers). It's possible they would have had MPS. They definitely would not have had Hall and RNH, as the Oilers would not be nearly as bad with Vanek and other veterans. Could be something like Burmistrov and Murphy instead of Hall and RNH.

Laodongxi

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Yes, there's no way to say who those players would have turned out to be. But 4 first round picks. That's a lot of picks. To have rejected that out of hand seems pretty dumb now no?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

Is that correct?

He didn't count the first four years where we were horrible but actually trying to win. Those four years are what made the logical thinking fans question whether a Kevin Lowe led rebuild was ever going to lead anywhere. It's clearly a sensitive issue with him.
As far as he's concerned he doesn't consider the rebuild to have started until the team actually announced to the public that that is what their big plan was going to be and that happened very late in the 2009-2010 season.

Last edited:

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011

Sabres fan here. The major reason we matched was that we just lost Drury/Briere. If the Sabres didnt match the would have been torches and pitchforks at the arena the next morning. Darcy had no choice he had to match, which makes the offer sheet all the more a head scratcher.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
It's funny because with Katz owning the team it doesn't matter what people think about Lowe. He's a fan boy from the 80's, Lowe has the ultimate job security. I feel like he'll eventually leave from embarrassment but let's all be honest, Messier or someone else would just take his place.

Laodongxi

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Sabres fan here. The major reason we matched was that we just lost Drury/Briere. If the Sabres didnt match the would have been torches and pitchforks at the arena the next morning. Darcy had no choice he had to match, which makes the offer sheet all the more a head scratcher.

Yes, a head scratcher indeed! Which speaks volumes about the Kevin Lowe's "Sorry Record for the Oilers". What was he thinking!!!

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
How is your oil supposed to change if you're always using the old oil?

We're like the Bill Wirtz era Blackhawks. Holy crap, so many ****ing years of unnecessary suckage.

FelixPotvin29

Oct 21, 2012
They like to rewrite history in this city.

He didn't count the first four years where we were horrible but actually trying to win. Those four years are what made the logical thinking fans question whether a Kevin Lowe led rebuild was ever going to lead anywhere. It's clearly a sensitive issue with him.
As far as he's concerned he doesn't consider the rebuild to have started until the team actually announced to the public that that is what their big plan was going to be and that happened very late in the 2009-2010 season.

Thanks guys!

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

Burke was right about Lowe running the team into the sewers. At the end of the clip its cut off but Lowe calls Bobby Ryan a suspect pick at number 2 overall and goes on about how Anaheim has no prospects.

What this video shows is that not only has Kevin Lowe been wrong about his own team he was completely wrong about Vancouver and Anaheim as well. It doesn't illustrate much of a grasp of what's going on in the NHL by a guy who is actually the head of one of the franchises. Absolutely stunning and baffling that he continues to hold onto his job.

t0mf00lery

Sep 12, 2003
Barrie, Ontario
Visit site
I realize that this is not a popular sentiment around here, but my guess is that the Oilers will eventually have at least a modicum of success and Kevin Lowe will be there, front and centre, smiling as they win, with all the bad times having been forgotten by Oilers management. Many of the fans will forget their harsh feelings for the man while they revel in the success of the team as well. There will only be a few of the bitter, jaded fans who will resent Kevin at that point.

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
It's gone from

"gee whiz, these guys are gonna be so great with all that talent, you better watch out for them!"

to an unfunny experiment in compounding/endless failure. it's not funny because it's happening to me. but it is hilariously sad to an outside observer. all from a town with such a rich NHL history to this...

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I'd love to see how many people have been fired since 1998 when Lowe joined. Somehow through all mediocrity this idiot is still here.

Mutagenesis

Nucks/Isles
Jul 21, 2013
Representin' the ABQ
I realize that this is not a popular sentiment around here, but my guess is that the Oilers will eventually have at least a modicum of success and Kevin Lowe will be there, front and centre, smiling as they win, with all the bad times having been forgotten by Oilers management. Many of the fans will forget their harsh feelings for the man while they revel in the success of the team as well. There will only be a few of the bitter, jaded fans who will resent Kevin at that point.

For the love of God I hope not. You guys deserve a better outcome, you sure do. But not under Lowe, that POS. :shakehead

Success will come when he is gone, fired and far away. Book it.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
Remember..............?

Just watch him re-build the Flames even faster around Monahan and Baertschi. Burke is bold when it comes to trades and he wins most of the them.

Please remember that Burke was not on board with Calgary when Monahan and Baertschi were drafted..........!!!

Feaster was the GM.........!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad