Kevin Lowes sorry record for the Oilers...

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I realize that this is not a popular sentiment around here, but my guess is that the Oilers will eventually have at least a modicum of success and Kevin Lowe will be there, front and centre, smiling as they win, with all the bad times having been forgotten by Oilers management. Many of the fans will forget their harsh feelings for the man while they revel in the success of the team as well. There will only be a few of the bitter, jaded fans who will resent Kevin at that point.

You are probably correct, after 20 years of awful management and screw ups to fill a barrell the team will finally do something monumental like getting to a cup final and people will ******* Lowe for 'building' a great team.

One thing to take note of. The bitter and jaded fans on this site have been right far far more often than the overly optomisitic ones over the last 6 or 7 years.

Captain Catatomic

SuprstitionCondition
Jun 25, 2013
Whos the other guy with more cup rings than Lowe?

Im gonna guess Larry Robinson, with the SJ Sharts. 6 with the Habs and 3 with the Devs. Why didn't we hire this guy as coach? ohhh... righht.. shhh..

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Whos the other guy with more cup rings than Lowe?

Im gonna guess Larry Robinson, with the SJ Sharts. 6 with the Habs and 3 with the Devs. Why didn't we hire this guy as coach? ohhh... righht.. shhh..

This and BTW who has more cup rings as part of management, Lowe or Burke? Gee with 6 rings it's gotta be Lowe??

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
What I don't understand is how people can continue to spend money on Season tickets, even though they hate Kevin Lowe, threaten to burn their tickets, and continue to go to games.

Nobody is forcing those guys to go to the games. Or support the team. Yet they do it.

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
I don't even know how much Lowe has to do with the on-ice product anymore. We were told he no longer has a hand in it, but when they showed Craig MacTavish shaking his head after the overtime goal in Toronto, Lowe was there in the press box right beside him.

Anyway. I don't really think Lowe has much hand in the on-ice product anymore, but I don't care. He just ought to go. His continued presence is just an endorsement of failure and an ongoing reminder of the past 7 years of dismal management.

HBSauce

Dirts McGirts
Apr 30, 2011
Alberta, Canada
What I don't understand is how people can continue to spend money on Season tickets, even though they hate Kevin Lowe, threaten to burn their tickets, and continue to go to games.

Nobody is forcing those guys to go to the games. Or support the team. Yet they do it.

This.

As long as people keep paying a premium for mediocrity why would you change a thing?

As a sharks fan I don't frequent here much obviously, but I am an Edmontonian so an Oilers fan by default. It's stupid to see how everything has changed with the team over the last 4-5 years yet there is 2 constants; Kevin Lowe and losing. After watching the Brian Burke interview by K Lowe it was funny that he also brought up the "6 rings" he won, just when he had to tell everyone during the Mac T was introduced as GM press conference. What has he done the 10 yrs +? Probably a lot of polishing of those rings.

I guess the most I can do to help out the Oilers is not to buy tickets to the games or memorabilia, and try to support other E Town teams like the Rush or Eskimos ( The Eskies suck just as much though...). If they stop making money, they'll have to change.....right?

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
I don't even know how much Lowe has to do with the on-ice product anymore. We were told he no longer has a hand in it, but when they showed Craig MacTavish shaking his head after the overtime goal in Toronto, Lowe was there in the press box right beside him.

Anyway. I don't really think Lowe has much hand in the on-ice product anymore, but I don't care. He just ought to go. His continued presence is just an endorsement of failure and an ongoing reminder of the past 7 years of dismal management.

Anyone who believes he doesn't have a hand in things, isn't involved in some fairly major capacity is fooling themselves. He is the president of hockey ops, and is around the team daily, in a pressbox seemingly every game with MacT and whoever else. There's no way he's just idly standing by making casual observations. He's actively involved.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Lowe, Mac T etc know how to do their jobs they just need a bit more time...
Mac T is responsible for player movement and he has only been on the job a couple months. They need more time, might sound crazy but I think its true.
Hate to be the odd man out, but I do like Lowe, and I like a lot of the moves he's made over the years, many forced by players not liking Edmonton. He would do anything for this club, including fighting Burke in a barn. He is Oilers to the core and has given his all to the team and city.
I don't think he's the problem, just a good scapegoat.
Now is not the time to hit reset.

My problem with this organization at this point of time is player development (take out #1 picks and who has developed into a top player)

Drafting a decent goalie - too inconsistent

The boys on the bus should have been gone long time ago

Katz worst owner is essentially Bill Wertz he cares about money and trust me i have been a season holder been to functions these guys are major league phony ****ing *******s. You as afan doesnt matter Katz would just threaten to move the team if there was a fan revolt of not coming out to games.

EIG may have not had money but they were good honest caring people about the fans experience

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth

Well, it's pretty clear that you believe the Oilers and KLowe are one. You are stating one cannot be a fan of the team if they first don't chose to love KLowe. I get your his biggest supporter, but really, you can't see how people separate the two?

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
Well, it's pretty clear that you believe the Oilers and KLowe are one. You are stating one cannot be a fan of the team if they first don't chose to love KLowe. I get your his biggest supporter, but really, you can't see how people separate the two?
No, he's saying that by continuing to buy season tickets to watch the Oilers play, you're financially supporting Katz, who is directly in charge of deciding whether KLowe remains with the team.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
No, he's saying that by continuing to buy season tickets to watch the Oilers play, you're financially supporting Katz, who is directly in charge of deciding whether KLowe remains with the team.

You get it.

The poster that responded to my post needs to learn to read a bit better. Not even remotely close.

Not once did I say you must love Klowe to be a fan. :laugh:

n7

Oct 15, 2011
Edmonton

Burke was right about Lowe running the team into the sewers. At the end of the clip its cut off but Lowe calls Bobby Ryan a suspect pick at number 2 overall and goes on about how Anaheim has no prospects.

Wow that's just hilarious...what a joke this clown is.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The fans revolted against Peter Pocklington to the point there were only 6500 people in the seats and the end result of that was almost losing the team. It has been drilled into everybody's head in Edmonton for twenty years that if the team isn't supported it will be moved. It can certainly be argued whether that threat is real or not today but that's why people still go.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
The fans revolted against Peter Pocklington to the point there were only 6500 people in the seats and the end result of that was almost losing the team. It has been drilled into everybody's head in Edmonton for twenty years that if the team isn't supported it will be moved. It can certainly be argued whether that threat is real or not today but that's why people still go.

If season ticket holders honestly think they are forced to buy tickets to save the team, then they have ego issues and a huge sense of entitlement.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth

Exactly, and the latest dirtbag to pull this threat of moving the team if he doesn't get his was Katz.

Isaak16

The Universe Is Here
May 7, 2013
Alberta
"He won a Stanley cup? I've won 6 Stanley cups. You wanna count rings?"

Tier 1 dbag

Pretty much every Oiler fan was excited about those offer sheets and had Lowe's back due to him taking us to the finals the year before. If he was a "Tier 1 dbag" for defending his actions (which were within the rules) against the public slandering of his reputation then most of us are dbags. You don't like Lowe or his personality? That's cool, but you picked a poor example.

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003

Do you honestly think that's why season ticket holders continue to renew each year? Fear that if they don't, the team will move? Like they're doing some grand duty to keep the team here?

No they're doing it because they either enjoy going to the games, they sell the tickets and make money, or they use the tickets for corporate purposes.

Have you gone to any games in the past few years? Did you go to solely to ensure the team stays in Edmonton?

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Pretty much every Oiler fan was excited about those offer sheets and had Lowe's back due to him taking us to the finals the year before.
QFT. This board was unanimous in their support of Lowe and called Burke a crybaby and a sore loser.
I guess Beerfish wasn't around back then :sarcasm:

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Amazing that people on this board still thumb their nose at Burke who has a far, far better overall track record and rebuilt the Leafs in a shorter time span with the benefit of zero top 3 picks.

He's got a paper tiger in Toronto... they aren't winning anything anytime soon. Group of horribly mediocre players aside from 2-3, playing in a weak conference.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
"He won a Stanley cup? I've won 6 Stanley cups. You wanna count rings?"

Tier 1 dbag

And that was right after Burke won the Cup. This guy was JUST hoisting the Cup over his head in victory, and Lowe is bringing up his wins from the 80's, which he never would have touched if it weren't for HoF superstars on the team.

I'm running out of ****s to give at this point. Lowe isn't going anywhere unless we storm Oil HQ like a bunch of peasants revolting.

Nepotism is killing this organization and it's making fans like me actually start to dislike the team. Try watching some other teams play, it's crazy. I almost forgot what good hockey teams looked like. Nepotism does not belong at this level, Oilers should be more professional. It's one thing to get your idiot cousin a job at Mickey D's when you're 16, it's another thing to hire your buddies when you're essentially running an organization worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

I'm starting to feel bad for the young guys having to be a part of this org. I wouldn't even blame them if they start requesting trades, as sad as that is.

Lowe might get a 7th Cup, but he'll be a shaky, drooling old man and will have no hand in the team winning.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Pretty much every Oiler fan was excited about those offer sheets and had Lowe's back due to him taking us to the finals the year before. If he was a "Tier 1 dbag" for defending his actions (which were within the rules) against the public slandering of his reputation then most of us are dbags. You don't like Lowe or his personality? That's cool, but you picked a poor example.

Um, un, noooo, not every Oiler fan.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Funny looking back on the whole Burke-Lowe thing..

His two comments at the end of that video are just hilarious.

1. "Here's a fact, he left Dave Nonis nothing in Vancouver. Nothing! He destroyed that team." Hmm, fast forward 2 years after the interview and Lowe does the same to Tambellini.

2. Calls out Burke for the Ryan draft pick.. yea, good call there Lowe.

:biglaugh:

The guy is embarrassing to our organization and the fans. I can't believe he is still here. He's got to be one of the most arrogant people in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad