Proposal: Kevin Hayes to Calgary

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
While I am a Ranger fan and hope they can either turn Hayes into some good deadline return or extend him to something that makes some sense, I would not be so sure about using last year's trade market and Nash as examples of what may become this trade deadline and Hayes.

Maybe it will be similar, maybe there will be more rentals out there, maybe the buyers are more conservative, or less of them. Maybe Boston liked Nash more than any team will like Hayes.

Maybe it will be a better sellers market. Maybe Hayes will prove to have more value.

Maybe Hayes is allowed to talk extension with the team interested in him before a trade and that effects his return one way or another or even effects what the Rangers may offer in an extension.

Point being it's kind of a fluid situation, but yes, biased on last years market I'd expect a late 1st plus something back for him should the Rangers also be willing to take back some stuff the acquiring team does not want.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
You clearly don't understand player's values.
I said they'd get a late first at the deadline. That was what they got for Stastny last year. As a rental Hayes is no better than Stastny. There are plenty of other rental examples. Contender giving up their late first and some long shots prospect for help.

Are you expecting to get some blue Chip or good established nhler for him? Only a Homer or a moron would think that.

I understand the NHL trades very well thank you.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I said they'd get a late first at the deadline. That was what they got for Stastny last year. As a rental Hayes is no better than Stastny. There are plenty of other rental examples. Contender giving up their late first and some long shots prospect for help.

Are you expecting to get some blue Chip or good established nhler for him? Only a Homer or a moron would think that.

I understand the NHL trades very well thank you.

Stastny was traded for a conditional 1st, 4th, and forward prospect Foley. He's 32.

Only a moron would expect an established NHLer for a 26 year old, two way center who put up 25G last season? Really?

Yeeaaaaaa, you clearly don't understand value. It's pretty obvious.

giphy.gif

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Forwards in expiring deals rarely end up getting the bank truck backed up for them at the deadline. Especially on this deadline where there’s the potential to be a number of higher profile FA’s.

IE if the ask is a first plus B prospect, I’d do that later in the season. If higher, I shoot for significantly better players in Stone or Duchene.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Forwards in expiring deals rarely end up getting the bank truck backed up for them at the deadline. Especially on this deadline where there’s the potential to be a number of higher profile FA’s.

IE if the ask is a first plus B prospect, I’d do that later in the season. If higher, I shoot for significantly better players in Stone or Duchene.

Is a 1st and a prospect equivalent to a bank truck?

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Is it today or at the TDL and who is the prospect?

Today it is. No reason to give any team a potential lotto ball.

Deadline. Prospects chips contains no blue particles.

The Rangers didn’t get a bonafide blue chipper for Nash, Grabner, or McDonagh. They got quality prospects in Howden, Lindgren, Rykov and Hajek. Not expecting a 1st plus blue chipper for Hayes.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Are you saying rentals dont get 1sts?
They do, but rarely do they from a team that just missed the playoffs before the season starts. Context matters and in this case it wouldn't make sense for the Flames

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
They do, but rarely do they from a team that just missed the playoffs before the season starts. Context matters and in this case it wouldn't make sense for the Flames
I don't know how accurate that statement is.

Flames only missed the playoffs because Mike Smith got hurt and their goaltending imploded. They are also in the worst division in the league. There a recipe for a team that should be aggressive at the deadline

There is no reason the Rangers cant get a 1st for Hayes, especially at the deadline. Whether its Calgary or not doesnt make a difference to me, but its certainly not an unfair ask.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't know how accurate that statement is.

Flames only missed the playoffs because Mike Smith got hurt and their goaltending imploded. They are also in the worst division in the league. There a recipe for a team that should be aggressive at the deadline

There is no reason the Rangers cant get a 1st for Hayes, especially at the deadline. Whether its Calgary or not doesnt make a difference to me, but its certainly not an unfair ask.
As I stated in my post BEFORE THE SEASON STARTS, I never suggested it couldn't happen at the deadline.

The Flames unachieved last year after trading their first round pick and as a result of the poor season we made a shitload of changes and while we should be better. However, better on paper and better on the ice are two very different things. So until we are firmly in a playoff spot, I do not see the Flames even considering moving their first.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
While I am a Ranger fan and hope they can either turn Hayes into some good deadline return or extend him to something that makes some sense, I would not be so sure about using last year's trade market and Nash as examples of what may become this trade deadline and Hayes.

Maybe it will be similar, maybe there will be more rentals out there, maybe the buyers are more conservative, or less of them. Maybe Boston liked Nash more than any team will like Hayes.

Maybe it will be a better sellers market. Maybe Hayes will prove to have more value.

Maybe Hayes is allowed to talk extension with the team interested in him before a trade and that effects his return one way or another or even effects what the Rangers may offer in an extension.

Point being it's kind of a fluid situation, but yes, biased on last years market I'd expect a late 1st plus something back for him should the Rangers also be willing to take back some stuff the acquiring team does not want.

Good post.

GMs have been reluctant to part with FRPs at that time of year. We’re talking a pretty decent sample size here. Going back 10 years:

YearGuaranteedConditional TotalPlayers Dealt
2009101Comrie (Traded With RFA Campoli, Though)
2010101Kovalchuk
2011101Kaberle
2012101Gaustad
2013224Iginla, Miller (Condition On Other Pick Not Met), Jagr
2015303Sekera, Vermette, Franson
2016112Ladd, Russell (Condition Not Met)
2017213Hanzal, Shattenkirk, Eaves
2018213Kane, Nash, Stastny
Average1.40.51.9
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

From teams that didn’t make the playoffs in 2018, the class of 2019 includes Seguin/Duchene at center, Lee/Skinner/Pacioretty/Stone/Eberle on the wing and Karlsson on defense. Expand out to those teams that could fall off in 2019 (teams that didn’t finish Top 2 in their division in 2018 for the purpose of objectivity) and you add E. Staal, Panarin, Simmonds and Bobrovsky.

Many of the players listed will either re-sign or play out their contracts with their current teams. Still, there are only so many picks to go around. Too much competition and the supply forces the price down for the 2nd tier names listed.

I do think Hayes is a solid bet to return a 1st as the market thins, but it’s not a slam dunk. There’s some inconsistency in player quality year to year. Paul Gaustad is worth a 1st one year and Derek Roy is worth a 2nd + the next. Ryan Miller is worth a massive package one year and Ben Bishop is worth relative scraps a few years later. A near PPG Thomas Vanek somehow only returned a 2nd +.

Reactions: Off Sides

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
no thanks

Bennett has not met expectations, so no one will take him unless cheap as a gamble/reclamation.

I was initially POed by the 1 yr to Hayes, who I still say stays long term.
But upon reflection, I could see them moving Zib sooner than later, keeping Hayes to the last minute, then still getting good rental value for him as he does a Yankees' Chapman fetching a haul and then returning.

When we selected Andersson, we did not know Chytil would still be available later. Chytil has that sniper upside and NY will consensus on him. If Andersson got top top top dollar comparable to his 7OA now, I would consider moving him now, along with Zib on paper selling high in a market short on pivots, esp righty shot pivots, at decent term/$. However, if a team w/a high enough pick does not want to swap out out their comparable 2019 for Andersson, I'm good with letting Andy develop and see what develops. I expect Zib to be out, and Hayes, Nieves and presumably Andersson to be our pivots, along w/Chytil, tho he may slide to W if C depth is added.
{The mutual backscratch on Andersson being dealt is he is ready to play now for the acquiring team, and NY would able to repurpose his value in 2019 draft with acceptably high pick.}

We are still seeing equivalent of 1st value as min for rentals, the standard in recent years [Hanzal, etc.]. If a 2nd instead of a 1st, there must be a very high prospect in lieu of, e.g., Rykov + 2nd for Grabner.
Hayes will get much more. CGY must expect to offer highest bid to top competition, and OP is not it.

Something around Hayes + for Hanifin +.

Hayes + for Hanifin +

hahahahahahahahahaha Hayes + Andersson for Hanifin + 7th rounder

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Stastny was traded for a conditional 1st, 4th, and forward prospect Foley. He's 32.

Only a moron would expect an established NHLer for a 26 year old, two way center who put up 25G last season? Really?

Yeeaaaaaa, you clearly don't understand value. It's pretty obvious.

giphy.gif

Yes, good luck with getting equal value for a UFA with average skillset and production. Only a moron would expect more than a 1st for Hayes. If someone really wants to pay, they go after Mark Stone not freaking Kevin Hayes

And wtf does age have anything to do with UFA rental? As a rental Stastny>>>Hayes

You obviously do not understand UFA rental

tenor.gif

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-10_17-10-28.jpeg
    upload_2018-8-10_17-10-28.jpeg
    8.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Yes, good luck with getting equal value for a UFA with average skillset and production. Only a moron would expect more than a 1st for Hayes. If someone really wants to pay, they go after Mark Stone not freaking Kevin Hayes

And wtf does age have anything to do with UFA rental? As a rental Stastny>>>Hayes

You obviously do not understand UFA rental

tenor.gif

There were about 27 center in the league last year that scored more goals than Hayes. He was about 60th in TOI. He was utilized in defensive situations.

Claiming Kevin Hayes is average is a great way to announce you don’t know who Kevin Hayes even is. Give yourself a nice firm and supportive tap on you back for that glorious statement.

How many Mark Stones will be available next deadline? Are there like 3 or 4 if them...?

Maybe you can explain to me why Rick Nash essentially got a 1st + a prospect last deadline? Hayes plays a more important position. He’s younger. And he’s more productive at this stage in his career.

A 1 dimensional winger (Grabner) got a 2nd and a prospect last deadline.

Look at what ****ig Hanzal got last deadline when he was traded.

Yea, you clearly don’t understand value.

tenor.gif

Reactions: The S5

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I think he’d slot in perfectly in Calgary’s top-6, but I don’t really see anything I’d want from the Flames that’s reasonably available. I don’t think they would deal Valimaki or Andersson, and I don’t think we’ll see Bennett take that next step in his development.

I think he’d be a much better fit in Colorado, and they have better assets to move in a deal.

He would not slot perfectly at all we already have 6 guys better than him in the top 6 and his already overblown salary doesn't come close to fitting either.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
There were about 27 center in the league last year that scored more goals than Hayes. He was about 60th in TOI. He was utilized in defensive situations.

Claiming Kevin Hayes is average is a great way to announce you don’t know who Kevin Hayes even is. Give yourself a nice firm and supportive tap on you back for that glorious statement.

How many Mark Stones will be available next deadline? Are there like 3 or 4 if them...?

Maybe you can explain to me why Rick Nash essentially got a 1st + a prospect last deadline? Hayes plays a more important position. He’s younger. And he’s more productive at this stage in his career.

A 1 dimensional winger (Grabner) got a 2nd and a prospect last deadline.

Look at what ****ig Hanzal got last deadline when he was traded.

Yea, you clearly don’t understand value.

tenor.gif

OK genius, since the Wild was stupid once, that doesnt set the standard for "value"

If guys like Hayes (20/40 scorer ,UFA to be looking for a big payday) are so valuable can you name a few other deals that return a "windfall" that you perceive?

If you cant, go back to basketball...maybe you know something there.

And I repeat, only a moron would expect Hayes to return something better than Stastny

DentalWillingBudgie-small.gif

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
OK genius, since the Wild was stupid once, that doesnt set the standard for "value"

If guys like Hayes (20/40 scorer UFA to be) are so valuable can you name a few other deals that return a "windfall" that you perceive?

Just quit dude, as usual you are wrong. If the Rangers move Hayes at the deadline, they will very possibly get a 1st for him. It's not a guarantee because the market fluctuates, but it is likely. Saying he definitely won't is just flat our wrong.

I've always claimed you don't pay attention to the game and just come around to stir stuff up and it's this kind of garbage that has led to that opinion.

So you want examples of similar guys who have landed first round picks?

Picks from 2018 Draft:
Brayden Schenn (before the season, second of 2 first rounders)
Derick Brassard
Rick Nash
Ryan Hartman (RFA, but never reached 35 points)
Paul Stastny
Tomas Tatar

Picks from 2017 Draft:
Derek Stepan (before the season)
Martin Hanzal
Brayden Schenn (at the draft, first of 2 first rounders)
Patrick Eaves

That is just the last two drafts. Educate yourself and maybe you wouldn't look like a complete fool.

Reactions: NewYorkNick

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

If guys like Hayes (20/40 scorer UFA to be) are so valuable can you name a few other deals that return a "windfall" that you perceive?

DentalWillingBudgie-small.gif
I don’t watch basketball. But, I showed you other players last deadline that fetched a decent return, all of which were less valuable than Hayes.

We’re not miles apart here. We both agree he’s worth a 1st. I think there will be more than 1 team interested in him during the deadline, and that value will be decided by which prospect is offered.

Is that really that far fetched...? A late 1st and a decent prospect..?

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Just quit dude, as usual you are wrong. If the Rangers move Hayes at the deadline, they will very possibly get a 1st for him. It's not a guarantee because the market fluctuates, but it is likely. Saying he definitely won't is just flat our wrong.

I've always claimed you don't pay attention to the game and just come around to stir stuff up and it's this kind of garbage that has led to that opinion.

So you want examples of similar guys who have landed first round picks?

Picks from 2018 Draft:
Brayden Schenn (before the season, second of 2 first rounders)
Derick Brassard
Rick Nash
Ryan Hartman (RFA, but never reached 35 points)
Paul Stastny
Tomas Tatar

Picks from 2017 Draft:
Derek Stepan (before the season)
Martin Hanzal
Brayden Schenn (at the draft, first of 2 first rounders)
Patrick Eaves

That is just the last two drafts. Educate yourself and maybe you wouldn't look like a complete fool.

Did you bother to read my posts or as usual just being an ass and jump on people

I clearly said the return for Hayes would be a low 1st rounder from a contender at the deadline.

The other guys is claiming he is worth much more.

It's a f***ing embarrassment the way you pretend to know it all. Face it you know nothing more than anybody on here

Last edited:

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

I don’t think it is far fetched at all because there are always desperate/dumb teams at the deadline but that isn’t close to what I would willing to give up for him.

Reactions: No Draft

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I don’t watch basketball. But, I showed you other players last deadline that fetched a decent return, all of which were less valuable than Hayes.

We’re not miles apart here. We both agree he’s worth a 1st. I think there will be more than 1 team interested in him during the deadline, and that value will be decided by the prospect is offered.

That I can agree. I have always maintained he will return a 1st, I dont see it far fetched if someone throw in a few mid/low level prospect.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Seems pretty underwhelming for NYR.

That's probably because I'd put Bennett's value at ~late 1st at most-early 2nd. And Kulak's value at a late 2nd at most.

If that were the price, I would have easily matched on my team's end (prior to Tavares).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad