Proposal: Kevin Hayes to Calgary

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Flames are trying to compete and add offense. Rangers are rebuilding.

Proposal

To the Rangers:
Sam Bennett
Brett Kulak

To the Flames:
Kevin Hayes

Flames get a guy who's played with Gaudreau before and who can play wing or centre. Rangers get a guy who's played at a third-line level in Calgary but who still has lots of room to grow plus a defenseman who's stuck behind a ton of guys for now but who has played well in limited minutes -- and who only scores against the Rangers.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Flames are trying to compete and add offense. Rangers are rebuilding.

Proposal

To the Rangers:
Sam Bennett
Brett Kulak

To the Flames:
Kevin Hayes

Flames get a guy who's played with Gaudreau before and who can play wing or centre. Rangers get a guy who's played at a third-line level in Calgary but who still has lots of room to grow plus a defenseman who's stuck behind a ton of guys for now but who has played well in limited minutes -- and who only scores against the Rangers.

You might not have noticed but Jeff Gorton is giving you the finger. Rangers have 0.00% interest in Kulak. They have about 5 left handed defenseman prospects a heck of a lot more talented than that guy. Bennett is for the most part, a bust.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
No thanks,
I like Calgary's chances of signing Hayes as a UFA should we have an interest in his services.

Bennett will prove his worth this season.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Pass

I have no interest in Hayes at all and really don't see where he fits in the line-up especially for that salary.

I don't really care about Kulak but Bennett at least is a good fit and has potential left even if it isn't the same level that it was when drafted.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Not a fan of either team but what do you think rentals fetch?

Not a fan of the player? Fine say that but to insinuate that a 1st is somehow an outrageous price for a rental just makes you look bad.
You don't give up a 1st for a rental before the season starts, when you are coming off a season where you missed the post-season.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Calgary should just see what they have offensively first before making more moves. They added Neal, Lindholm, Czarnik, and Ryan.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
You don't give up a 1st for a rental before the season starts, when you are coming off a season where you missed the post-season.

You do if you believe that player can help you make the playoffs. It's not just 1 player here anyway, Flames have made some off season moves, so if that rental pushes you in the right direction it's not as bad as you're making it out to be. Whether Hayes is that player is not the point here.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
As a Rangers fan i am hoping we resign Hayes in January to a 3-4 yr deal .

I don't see that happening if he's going to ask for 6 million on his next deal. If we're interested in signing him it's because he did as well, if not better than last season. #RaiseforHayes

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
No thanks,
I like Calgary's chances of signing Hayes as a UFA should we have an interest in his services.

Bennett will prove his worth this season.

Calgary has no more cap money to sign any additional FA any time soon

As for the original deal, Hayes is not a difference maker. They would be better of keeping Bennett even for a lesser role. He is cheap and useful even if he has no upside left.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
no thanks

Bennett has not met expectations, so no one will take him unless cheap as a gamble/reclamation.

I was initially POed by the 1 yr to Hayes, who I still say stays long term.
But upon reflection, I could see them moving Zib sooner than later, keeping Hayes to the last minute, then still getting good rental value for him as he does a Yankees' Chapman fetching a haul and then returning.

When we selected Andersson, we did not know Chytil would still be available later. Chytil has that sniper upside and NY will consensus on him. If Andersson got top top top dollar comparable to his 7OA now, I would consider moving him now, along with Zib on paper selling high in a market short on pivots, esp righty shot pivots, at decent term/$. However, if a team w/a high enough pick does not want to swap out out their comparable 2019 for Andersson, I'm good with letting Andy develop and see what develops. I expect Zib to be out, and Hayes, Nieves and presumably Andersson to be our pivots, along w/Chytil, tho he may slide to W if C depth is added.
{The mutual backscratch on Andersson being dealt is he is ready to play now for the acquiring team, and NY would able to repurpose his value in 2019 draft with acceptably high pick.}

We are still seeing equivalent of 1st value as min for rentals, the standard in recent years [Hanzal, etc.]. If a 2nd instead of a 1st, there must be a very high prospect in lieu of, e.g., Rykov + 2nd for Grabner.
Hayes will get much more. CGY must expect to offer highest bid to top competition, and OP is not it.

Something around Hayes + for Hanifin +.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
As a Rangers fan i am hoping we resign Hayes in January to a 3-4 yr deal .
I like hayes a lot but it isn't happening. They spent months trying to get a deal with him and ultimately decided on a 1 year deal for a reason. Both Hayes and the Rangers know he is gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $370.00