Proposal: Kevin Hayes to Calgary

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Other than Hayes and Gaudreau being friends and have good chemistry, I don't think Calgary is a good fit to trade Hayes to. There likely are teams that want/need Hayes a lot more and would be willing to give more.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
People said the same thing about Yakupov. Age isn't indicative of a players likeliness to succeed.
I'm not saying it is, but not everyone breaks out young. I am a firm believer you can't write a player off until they are 25 or have been so bad that they can't get an NHL job. Just because people were right about Yakupov, doesn't mean they are right about other players.

Reactions: Monument

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I'm not saying it is, but not everyone breaks out young. I am a firm believer you can't write a player off until they are 25 or have been so bad that they can't get an NHL job. Just because people were right about Yakupov, doesn't mean they are right about other players.

Do you want to drift away with Elias?

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Clearly you missed my point. Anyone calling a 22 year old kid a bust is a moron. I don't care what fan base they are apart of.

I wouldn't say Bennett is a bust, but he's gotta start doing something real soon. I'd think his time in Calgary is probably over if he doesn't show them something this season.

He'll get a chance to prove himself elsewhere after but he'll be on a very short leash.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I wouldn't say Bennett is a bust, but he's gotta start doing something real soon. I'd think his time in Calgary is probably over if he doesn't show them something this season.

He'll get a chance to prove himself elsewhere after but he'll be on a very short leash.
I'm going to guess that your Bennett viewing experience is limited to 2-3 games because your ability to read his situation is pretty poor.

Let me try and make a few things clear regarding him.

The only disappointing parts of Bennett's game are his offensive production and the number of minor penalties he takes. The kid creates scoring chances, he is consistently physical, he's not a liability defensively and is becoming a good penalty killer.

What does this mean? This means this is not a Nail Yakupov or Gilbert Brule situation, where the player is useless at the NHL level. This is more of a Sean Couturier situation, where he brings something to the table that makes him worth keeping and you just hope he finally grows offensively.

It is very unlikely Bennett will be moved after this season, or at all, even if he puts up another 25 point season. The reason for that, is because the assets he does bring, will most likely be worth more than whatever pick we can get for him.

Reactions: CaptainCrunch67

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

He teased them often enough so they are going to keep him for awhile.

Nobody is going to pay enough to make it worthwhile for them. Either another prospect about to bust or some mid/low pick is all they are going to get for him at this time.

Not saying that wont change but that's what he is at this time.

And for the guy that compares him to Cout. Cout can do plenty of things well. He is elite two ways. Bennett only other redeeming quality is he can play physical but in a dumb way. Bennett wont be a complete bust, he can be a useful support/energy player but he aint no Cout...the guy cant even play center lol

tenor.gif

Last edited:

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I'm going to guess that your Bennett viewing experience is limited to 2-3 games because your ability to read his situation is pretty poor.

Nah, a lot more than that, but a player with one year left on his deal that's an RFA after this year is going to have to take the next step offensively after 2 down years that followed a decent rookie year.

That isn't some assessment, that's concrete.

Let me try and make a few things clear regarding him.

The only disappointing parts of Bennett's game are his offensive production and the number of minor penalties he takes. The kid creates scoring chances, he is consistently physical, he's not a liability defensively and is becoming a good penalty killer.

When did I ever say that he wasn't physical or that he's a liability defensively? Waiting...

What does this mean? This means this is not a Nail Yakupov or Gilbert Brule situation, where the player is useless at the NHL level. This is more of a Sean Couturier situation, where he brings something to the table that makes him worth keeping and you just hope he finally grows offensively.

When in the blue hell did I say that he was a Yakupov or a Brule? So instead of asking me what I meant by what I said in my post, you honestly thought it was a more sound strategy to just put words in my mouth to drive your point?

I have no problem with you pointing out what you have, but if you think even for a minute he's anywhere close to Couturier defensively before he broke out, you're fooling yourself. Couturier was an elite defender for a while before he rounded out his game offensively.

It is very unlikely Bennett will be moved after this season, or at all, even if he puts up another 25 point season. The reason for that, is because the assets he does bring, will most likely be worth more than whatever pick we can get for him.

That's fine, all fair points. I could totally be wrong and Calgary management could say that even though he might never live up to his draft position, we'll gladly keep a useful young bottom-6 player around and hope he develops offensively. I've been wrong before, I'm not afraid to say that.

However, to totally dismiss the point I made and then try to put words in my mouth and tell me that he mirrors Couturier's situation? Hogwash, at best.

I don't like to speak in absolutes, but I can't imagine Calgary's management chomping at the bit to give a new contract to a player who put up back to back 26 point seasons (without missing significant time) after a 36 point rookie season, especially when he's 22 years old and already making 1.95 million a year.

Time will tell.

Reactions: No Draft

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I don't like to speak in absolutes, but I can't imagine Calgary's management chomping at the bit to give a new contract to a player who put up back to back 26 point seasons (without missing significant time) after a 36 point rookie season, especially when he's 22 years old and already making 1.95 million a year.

Time will tell.

You think they are going to let him walk or trade him for peanuts? If the guys who liked him enough to draft him 4th overall don't want him who is going to give anything up for him?

I guess anything is possible but I would be shocked if he isn't with the Flames after next year and could only see an overpay from another team to get him away.

There is nothing to indicate that the current management team are frustrated or tired of him at all. It seems like a weird take from a guy that seems to have little insight into the situation at all.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
You think they are going to let him walk or trade him for peanuts? If the guys who liked him enough to draft him 4th overall don't want him who is going to give anything up for him?

Did I say peanuts? I just don't know how you got that, because I never said it. You never know who is going to give up what in a trade. Did anyone expect Skinner to get that poor of a return?

I guess anything is possible but I would be shocked if he isn't with the Flames after next year and could only see an overpay from another team to get him away.

There is nothing to indicate that the current management team are frustrated or tired of him at all. It seems like a weird take from a guy that seems to have little insight into the situation at all.

Could I be off? Sure, I'd just imagine with decreased production for 2 straight years after a decent rookie year that they might explore moving him. I'd think this has to not necessarily be a "make or break year" for Bennett, but he has to show something more offensively.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Did I say peanuts? I just don't know how you got that, because I never said it. You never know who is going to give up what in a trade. Did anyone expect Skinner to get that poor of a return?

Could I be off? Sure, I'd just imagine with decreased production for 2 straight years after a decent rookie year that they might explore moving him. I'd think this has to not necessarily be a "make or break year" for Bennett, but he has to show something more offensively.

You may not have said peanuts but if the guys that drafted and liked him enough then and then to keep him up early and still like him now want to get rid of him who is giving something of value to get him and why?

It just seems odd that you keep thinking they may be looking to move him whe there is absolutely nothing to indicate that they would want to do that at all.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
You may not have said peanuts but if the guys that drafted and liked him enough then and then to keep him up early and still like him now want to get rid of him who is giving something of value to get him and why?

It just seems odd that you keep thinking they may be looking to move him whe there is absolutely nothing to indicate that they would want to do that at all.

All I'm saying that it's a possibility. You don't have to agree, it's fine. I'd just imagine that if he doesn't make progress, they'd explore moving him.

Do you honestly see them giving him a raise?

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
All I'm saying that it's a possibility. You don't have to agree, it's fine. I'd just imagine that if he doesn't make progress, they'd explore moving him.

Do you honestly see them giving him a raise?

You are certainly welcome to your opinion I just found it odd that a guy in NY that seems to be a Rangers fan has such a strong feeling about Bennett leaving when most Flames fans feel the opposite.

I think it would depend largely on the size of the raise and the type of season that he had. As I said I find it very hard to see them moving him though so the raise would have to be pretty big for them to move on from him.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm not sure, I'm not a general manager.

Is anyone sure of what they'd move him for?

Well it’s either going to be a 2nd or some form of undesirable draft picks, or a low ceiling prospect or a player that has struggled equally as much as Sam. So my question is, what’s the point in trading him?

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Well it’s either going to be a 2nd or some form of undesirable draft picks, or a low ceiling prospect or a player that has struggled equally as much as Sam. So my question is, what’s the point in trading him?

If he has a good season, they could look to keep him. All I'm doing is saying that there's a possibility. I don't know what he'll be moved for or even if he will, no one knows. We can try to put 2 and 2 together and hope we have the answer, but no one really knows.

As for the point of trading him, if he falters, maybe at some point management decides that he needs a change of scenery? I don't have the answers nor do I claim to.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Nah, a lot more than that, but a player with one year left on his deal that's an RFA after this year is going to have to take the next step offensively after 2 down years that followed a decent rookie year.

That isn't some assessment, that's concrete.
It's not an assessment? It's concrete? It's the furthest thing from concrete, you need to get over yourself if you think anything is concrete.

When did I ever say that he wasn't physical or that he's a liability defensively? Waiting...
I never said you said anything. I was giving you an assessment as to why Bennett is unlikely to be traded.

When in the blue hell did I say that he was a Yakupov or a Brule? So instead of asking me what I meant by what I said in my post, you honestly thought it was a more sound strategy to just put words in my mouth to drive your point?

I have no problem with you pointing out what you have, but if you think even for a minute he's anywhere close to Couturier defensively before he broke out, you're fooling yourself. Couturier was an elite defender for a while before he rounded out his game offensively.
Again, I never said you said anything. You need to stop worrying about what you think I am claiming you said and actually read what I said. I simply used examples of players that brought nothing without producing and someone who brought something without producing.

I also never claimed Bennett was as good as Courturier defensively, I actually never compared them as players at all. I compared situations and even stated and I quote:

This is more of a Sean Couturier situation, where he brings something to the table that makes him worth keeping and you just hope he finally grows offensively.

take note of the bolded.

That's fine, all fair points. I could totally be wrong and Calgary management could say that even though he might never live up to his draft position, we'll gladly keep a useful young bottom-6 player around and hope he develops offensively. I've been wrong before, I'm not afraid to say that.

However, to totally dismiss the point I made and then try to put words in my mouth and tell me that he mirrors Couturier's situation? Hogwash, at best.

Time will tell.
Again, I never claimed you said anything and never said it mirrors anything, said it was similar and why it was similar. I gave MY ASSESSMENT of the Bennett situation as someone that follows the Flames very closely, not an outsider reading stats sheets and catching the occasional game.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Didn’t Kulak pass through waivers recently? How does he become a trade asset all of a sudden?
He cleared waivers most likely because he was within 48 hours of an arbitration hearing, anyone claiming him wouldn't have had time to put together a solid case. I'm not the biggest Kulak fan, but he's a solid #6 and is young, he's definitely a tradeable asset.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Didn’t Kulak pass through waivers recently? How does he become a trade asset all of a sudden?

FYI GMs hate arbitration.
Anyone picking Kulak on waivers essentially had two days to figure out a contract or go to court.

Now he’s a cheap 6D

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I wouldn’t deal Bennett for Hayes. Hayes is great, but I think Bennett brings more to the table.
Hayes is better offensively, defensively, better goal scorer, 6’6, can actually play C, etc etc. Bennett certainly does not bring more to the table than Hayes

Reactions: bernmeister

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->