Player Discussion Kevin Hayes Part III

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I am in the minority though and thought he was really good last year and is once again really good this year. I don't see much of a difference though other than he seems a lot better at penalty killing and that he improved tremendously on faceoffs.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I am in the minority though and thought he was really good last year and is once again really good this year. I don't see much of a difference though other than he seems a lot better at penalty killing and that he improved tremendously on faceoffs.
He's getting like twice as many d-zone starts as well. I think he actually leads the team in d-zone start % at 40%

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
With Zibanejad coming back, maybe Hayes will see fewer defensive zone starts and his possession numbers might rebound. Zib's probably better equipped to take those draws anyway.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
With Zibanejad coming back, maybe Hayes will see fewer defensive zone starts and his possession numbers might rebound. Zib's probably better equipped to take those draws anyway.
Yep, pretty sure Mika was getting most of the d-zone face-offs before he went down.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
So.. no one has an opinion. I guess

not a lot of us check player discussions much mostly after games or before them for myself. he's having the best season he's ever had. Him and Miller quietly took their line from being the third line to a top six a/b line

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Interesting article about Hayes on SI.com

http://www.si.com/nhl/2017/03/15/kevin-hayes-rangers-happy-place?xid=socialflow_twitter_si

I especially liked this part:

So, whenever hockey ultimately ends, Hayes could always transition from the ice to the big screen, or even one of those dimly lit comedy clubs around Manhattan. Recently, for instance, a group of Rangers got so into binge-watching Game of Thrones that they nicknamed each other based on the characters. “[Rookie] Jimmy Vesey is Brienne of Tarth,” Hayes says. “Millsie is the Hound. [Forward Derek Stepan] is Samwell Tarly. All inside jokes.” For his part, Hayes says he owns the role of handsome, noble, northern-born Rob Stark.

Why, exactly? “Cause I’m a stud,” he cracks.

Reactions: Ori

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Interested in seeing how he plays over the next few weeks. He's been one of the team's worst forwards for a while. I'd almost want to sit him a game if that will help.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Pretty well every player sucks when the team sucks. Hayes has had his moments of not so good, but I agree he seems determined and has held up his end of the bargain. The team itself does not look close to solving their problems, which are very fundamental.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
One of my favorite things about hockey is watching a players development.

Kevin Hayes development hasn’t been perfect, but I’m thrilled to see his progress over the years.

Hayes is not a 1C. He’s not elite. He never has been. But he is a talented player. One that plays the most important forward position on the ice. A player that has very appealing attributes. Size + Talent. He’s a natural playmaker, but he also has a very underrated shot when he decides to shoot. And he’s improved pretty darn nicely defensively.

It’s been nice seeing him learn from his mistakes. We saw an improvement from him last season (y’all know he lost 20lbs???). And we’re seeing him take another step forward this year. Especially with his play away from the puck, and decision making.

It’s fun joking about his IQ. Mocking him dabbing. And labeling him with funny stoner names like purple haze.

I don’t think he’s as dumb as we might assume. (Lol). He’s trending very well right now and he probably still has more room for growth.

Keep it up, Kush Master Flex. Only a matter of time till you’re on hot 97, as a Guru, talkin it up with Ebro, Laura Stylz, and Rosenberg.

:thumbu:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Hayes has literally improved his defensive side of the game 10x from where he started. He is going up again the other teams top lines almost every night now and is doing a great job. I can't really remember a player on the Rangers make such a defensive improvement like he has in 2 years. Yea his offensive isn't as good as last year, but he was going against 3rd lines last year and they could barely get into our zone.

Though i believe i read he has the most ES points on the team, so maybe his offensive isn't as much lower than it looks. Plus I forgot AV didnt give him any PP the first month of the season since DD was so deserving of that.

Reactions: bl02

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Kevin "200 foot game" Hayes. To me he's one the most maligned players when he doesn't perform well but on flip side doesn't get the credit he deserves when he does well. Its probably a 10-15 game stretch now he's been terrific at both ends of the ice.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Kevin "200 foot game" Hayes. To me he's one the most maligned players when he doesn't perform well but on flip side doesn't get the credit he deserves when he does well. Its probably a 10-15 game stretch now he's been terrific at both ends of the ice.
I like the nick name :laugh:

Reactions: bl02

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Been crapping all over Vesey on this board, but I did want to take a minute to be positive. Kevin Hayes has been...WWWOOORRRLLLDDSSS better this year. It's like he's a totally different player than years gone by...I think the single biggest thing is between his ears...the kid is doing 1 thing better...he's not forcing plays that arent there.

Over the last few years he would hold pucks, hold pucks, and then try to thread a pass through 3 players to a guy for a slam dunk..it would work 1 time out of 100, and the other 99 times it would be a turnover.

Now, if that pass isnt there clean, or with less obstruction..he's making the safer plays..passing it to the D to reset...turning around and flinging it in behind th enet for the weakside winger to come in and get it. he's also playing smarter in his offensive zone positioning to be able to be a safety valve for his defenseman...he's playing MUCH smarter hockey...I really havent looked to see if the stats back it up, but in terms of the sheer eye test, he looks absolutely terrific out there on most nights...and this isnt just about who hes playing with (Rick Nash is a terrific hockey player)...this is about Hayes himself...he's playing really really well. TBH I dont miss Stepan at all. Hayes has been terrific in his spot. 3rd line centers can be found elsewhere.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad