Player Discussion Kevin Hayes Part III

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
We're bottom 5 in possession for the second year in a row. Somebody around here is going to be terrible.

Yea, 101 point season last year and on pace for 110 points this season despite having a 1/3 of our top offensive players injured. We are terrible and everyone sucks.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Him and Miller are like a tag-team of terrible the last few weeks.

Miller looks injured to me though. Hayes just looks like his usual stupid self.

Minus the scraggly beard. Otherwise, when he opens his mouth.......yeah, the same.

I do think he has a really good chance of becoming better. His lack of speed will always be a detrimen, but thats not his game anyway. His big body and reach separates he from defenders, ice vision is excellent, but his decisions are sometimes bad and makes the same moves all the time!

There is ALWAYS an opp for him to shoot at some point, but choses to hold onto the puck too long and the opp is long gone with NO SHOT. EVENTUALLY, we all hope that he figures that out........and then we have that gem.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Minus the scraggly beard. Otherwise, when he opens his mouth.......yeah, the same.

I do think he has a really good chance of becoming better. His lack of speed will always be a detrimen, but thats not his game anyway. His big body and reach separates he from defenders, ice vision is excellent, but his decisions are sometimes bad and makes the same moves all the time!

There is ALWAYS an opp for him to shoot at some point, but choses to hold onto the puck too long and the opp is long gone with NO SHOT. EVENTUALLY, we all hope that he figures that out........and then we have that gem.

I truly believe Hayes is suffering the same fate as Miller and Grabner the past month. Due to injuries especially to Nash and being forced to play Top 6 minutes when your skill set is for being more of a Top 9 guy.

I can't emphasize more than I have on a few different threads that the injury to Nash has been THE most deflating for the Rangers offense than even Zibs or Buch. When Nash is in lineup, he immediatly makes whoever plays with him 2nd line top 6 worthy and that includes Hayes, Vesey or Miller.

So even with Zibs and Buch out, you have a top line of Step,Kreider and Zucc. With Nash healthy, you have him, Vesey and let's just say Hayes. Even tho Hayes is not a top 6 guy, if he has Nash with him and Vesey, he is plausable there.

You than can have a 3rd line of Miller,Grabs and lets say Fast. It's a whole domino effect Nash has on the lineup.

Obviously once we get Zibs and Buch back, Hayes, Miller and Grabner become that much more effective as a 3rd line facing 3rd line opposition which they are cleary superior than and showed they were when we were at full strength. Get Nash back in lineup and I feel strongly Hayes will be back to his productive self.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Posted this in the roster building thread but want it here also because of how fast that thread turns over.

Kevin Hayes since Zbad broke his leg 11/20/16:

24GP, 5G, 10A, +1, 49 shots, 0.625 PPG

OrbitalDynamics

#Unsurprised
May 22, 2008
Stalag Luft JFK
Yea, 101 point season last year and on pace for 110 points this season despite having a 1/3 of our top offensive players injured. We are terrible and everyone sucks.

That 101 point season last year didn't impress Mike Sullivan or the rest of the Penguins did it? They took the Rangers out like the trash in 5 games.

I'm fairly certain that whatever final point number they end up with this year won't be overly impressive if they get unceremoniously dumped out of the playoffs in 4 or 5 games.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Posted this in the roster building thread but want it here also because of how fast that thread turns over.

Kevin Hayes since Zbad broke his leg 11/20/16:

24GP, 5G, 10A, +1, 49 shots, 0.625 PPG

Which would be on pace for 50+ point season. Not bad at all.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
That 101 point season last year didn't impress Mike Sullivan or the rest of the Penguins did it? They took the Rangers out like the trash in 5 games.

I'm fairly certain that whatever final point number they end up with this year won't be overly impressive if they get unceremoniously dumped out of the playoffs in 4 or 5 games.

Great example. We got crushed by the Stanley Cup champs who happened to be firing on all cylinders going into the playoffs while we were playing terrible hockey.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
I don't get why Hayes' possession numbers are bad this year. He posted positive relative corsi percentages in each of his first two seasons.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I don't get why Hayes' possession numbers are bad this year. He posted positive relative corsi percentages in each of his first two seasons.

I don't get it either. I think he misses Hagelin who was a perfect fit for him. Hagelin-Hayes-Miller was an amazing line.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Great example. We got crushed by the Stanley Cup champs who happened to be firing on all cylinders going into the playoffs while we were playing terrible hockey.
They were doing that all season.

Wondering how much is because of this:

ECTFLVA.png

I think his 40% d-zone starts actually leads all Rangers lol.

Last edited:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
They were doing that all season.

Wondering how much is because of this:

ECTFLVA.png

I think his 40% d-zone starts actually leads all Rangers lol.

We were not playing horrible hockey like that all season. Our defense disappeared in the playoffs and we had no idea how to score on Murry.

Once again I don't give a crap what the stupid fancy stats say which mean absolutely nothing to me. I respect if other people rely on them, I just don't.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
We were not playing horrible hockey like that all season. Our defense disappeared in the playoffs and we had no idea how to score on Murry.

Once again I don't give a crap what the stupid fancy stats say which mean absolutely nothing to me. I respect if other people rely on them, I just don't.

Thats not true at all. We did play bad for long stretches last season but won alot because we scored on everything and pretty much created all our chances off the rush, along with having great goaltending. Everyone who actually looked at our season last season could see an early playoff exit coming, which is why i wanted us to trade Yandle because we were never going to win but ofc we traded for a veteran which was a horrible move...
Say what you want about corsi but its a usefull stat. You dont have to have great cf% to be effective but when you are Girardi bad its a huge problem. Its more that the stat proves what everyone is seeing. If you have bad cf% you are getting outshot on a regular basis and thats not good, specially when its by a big margin. Its also a team driven stat so what you might look for is players that stand out positively or negatively.
Toronto last season was an example of a team that had pretty good cf% as a team but lacked the skill to finish it off and actually convert chances into goals.
I dont rely on them but completely ignoring them when they are usefull in determine if a team or players scoring etc is sustainable i would argue is pretty ignorant. Its not a coincidence that Pens was second in cf% last season.

Last edited:

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
I don't get it either. I think he misses Hagelin who was a perfect fit for him. Hagelin-Hayes-Miller was an amazing line.

Hayes is having his best season yet--he's playing in all situations (he looks pretty damn good on the penalty kills), he's greatly improved on face-offs and he's tied for the lead in points on the team. He meshes well with several of the players on the team, including Grabner (who's as fast as almost any player I have seen in the NHL). I don't think he's missing Hagelin at all.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
While Hayes wasn't nearly as bad as some made him out to be last year, it sure is great to see him "rebound" and kick all kinds of ass this season. That Forsberg attempt last night brought a tear of joy to my eye.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I don't really think Hayes is rebounding from anything. He's just scoring more points because he's getting more PP time and playing about 17 minutes a game when last year he was at about 13 and a half. All his rates are almost exactly the same.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Hayes point per 60 rates and possession numbers are down from the first couple seasons for him. SA16 is right that he's producing more because of ice time. Not necessarily because he's playing better.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Well clearly losing that weight has improved his quickness/speed and not surprisingly he seems to be playing with more confidence...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad