Player Discussion Kevin Hayes Part III

darko

Feb 16, 2009
He is really starting to control the game during his shifts. Maybe it’s more due to matchups or something but I like to think he’s improving. He always had good vision but now he’s starting to make those good smart passes from all kinds of positions on the ice. And he’s also getting his body positioned great.

Doubt it's match ups. Pretty sure he gets the hardest assignments on the team.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
To me the last couple months he's become a real leader on the team in that the team looks to him now for goals and points and the coaching staff looks at him for the hardest defensive assignments. He should get an 'A' next year.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
As much as Vesey hasn't lived up to the hype I'm sure Hayes has. He has progressed beautifully at both ends of the ice this season.
Now he's putting up points but if you've watched all year his play has improved in many areas not just his production.
Really from November on. There is no one else on this team that has like he has.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
To me the last couple months he's become a real leader on the team in that the team looks to him now for goals and points and the coaching staff looks at him for the hardest defensive assignments. He should get an 'A' next year.
Was just going to say this...what looks different is his entire demeanor...he looks like he wants to be...the man...rather than just be one of the guys. Hes being very forceful with his game and it's paying off...I a very real sense he's reminding me of the transformation of Blake wheeler...went from being a good support piece to an absolute stud by being handed more leadership and higher leverage situations.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
4 years at 4-4.5M per would be fair IMO. He's had a very nice season and I would have no problem with him being here for the long haul. Would love to see him have a legit goalscorer on his line too, he's never had that.
If he did, I'd go out on a limb and say he would be at least a ppg guy. Anyway, I think i may have been one of the few NEVER wanting him to be gone. Imo, he just has that special full ice awareness, but his main fault was holding onto the puck too long and not shooting enough. He seems to have recognized that and improved in those areas. A big skilled Center like him, you don't give up on, UNLESS you have 3 that are even bigger/better. Happy he is making me right. Hes grown up, while his "kiddie friends" are now gone. (MDZ, JT and I forgot whom else) Zuccha still here.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Should definitely keep him imo. Putting up good points recently but even without that he’s blossomed into a very solid matchup center. Any team that wants to be even half decent in the near future needs a center who can take hard minutes and play them effectively.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
A year ago I hated Hayes more than Miller, thought he was lazy, didn’t have a great attitude, inconsistent, etc. but he’s took tremendous strides this season. He’s an absolute beast and is emerging as one of the leaders of this team. One of the most underrated players in the league today

We’re about to be so stacked at Center, I don’t want to move any of them though. Center depth has definitely been one of the biggest factors in who’s won the cup in recent memory. Fortunately a lot of our C’s are versatile and can play the wing. I think moving forward Zibanejad moves to the wing, where I think he could really find himself as a player and perhaps even emerge into a bit of an Ovi-lite.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
You could tell his 'workout/training' has helped him immensely. Same for Vesey. They're both going strong when compared to last year they were just gassed

I see some numbers being thrown around like 5-6M$per.. I was hoping for 4-4.5 area with 4-5 years.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I have ZERO proof, but I just wonder if FO thought maybe moving JT would better Hayes. Maybe they were trouble outside of the garden. Too much fun and not enough business. I may be soooo wrong, and not trying to start any hurricanes here, it was just something that I've wondered "could be" in the eventual movement of JT. I seriously question as to WHY THE HELL would they move JT, if this wasn't the case. If the problem was between JT and AV, then replacing AV (which supposedly we will do) makes the situation instantly better.
Trading JT, was very bad for me. Don't like it, even though I do like Namestikov, I'd prefer JT and what he could've brought in the future.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I don't think they ever wanted to give both Hayes & Miller long deals this offseason. The trade probably tipped their hat on they felt about who they would give it to.

I would sign him in the offseason, not trade him. 4-5 years, 4.5-5m. 4/20 or 5/22.

Gorton said it himself, you can't have an entire team constructed of all players in the same age bracket. Sign him to 4-5 years, takes him to age 30-31.

If we trade him, Spooner, Zucc, and Names all this offseason, you're in for a 5 year rebuild. We don't have to close to enough prospects ready to even fill lineups much less compete. We'll end up with kids and all 30 yr olds on 1 year deals as a roster.

I also think it would be colossally stupid to go into next season clearing out all the Cs and just throwing the burden on Chytil and Lias. They may struggle. They're young.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I have ZERO proof, but I just wonder if FO thought maybe moving JT would better Hayes. Maybe they were trouble outside of the garden. Too much fun and not enough business. I may be soooo wrong, and not trying to start any hurricanes here, it was just something that I've wondered "could be" in the eventual movement of JT. I seriously question as to WHY THE HELL would they move JT, if this wasn't the case. If the problem was between JT and AV, then replacing AV (which supposedly we will do) makes the situation instantly better.
Trading JT, was very bad for me. Don't like it, even though I do like Namestikov, I'd prefer JT and what he could've brought in the future.
I think its really as simple as they both needed to prove they deserved their next contract this year - Hayes grew in multiple ways and Miller floated half the season. Hayes earned another deal here and Miller didn't despite putting up pretty good points for the minutes he was playing. They likely didn't want to pay big money and term to someone they thought was unreliable and inconsistent in their effort. Fairly understandable. Do wish we moved him separately for something better than Vlad though.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I still believe that Miller should've been retained and part of the new core that's solidifying now with Hayes, Kreider, Zibanejad, and Fast. Miller can beast if motivated, and he wasn't fully committed for whatever reason or cause. Sure, he's racking up points now in Tampa, being on the top line with two world-class players. But for all the "shotgun riding" arguments against Miller, one still has to execute the plays, at the end of the day. Yeah, so he gets fed slam-dunk goals, but how many times have we seen players miss on gaping nets--especially ours? Miller has made the plays and lived up to his billing down south.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I still believe that Miller should've been retained and part of the new core that's solidifying now with Hayes, Kreider, Zibanejad, and Fast. Miller can beast if motivated, and he wasn't fully committed for whatever reason or cause. Sure, he's racking up points now in Tampa, being on the top line with two world-class players. But for all the "shotgun riding" arguments against Miller, one still has to execute the plays, at the end of the day. Yeah, so he gets fed slam-dunk goals, but how many times have we seen players miss on gaping nets--especially ours? Miller has made the plays and lived up to his billing down south.

I think the reason Gorton wanted Namestnikov is the recent departure of Nash and Grabner. We were lacking 2-way forwards. Guys who are defensively responsible.

Yes, Miller is having a great few weeks in Tampa but as aufheben pointed out, he's shooting at 24%. That'll never stick. Miller is not a bad player, but I feel Namestnikov is a better fit for this team long-term, also with a lower AAV on his next deal.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I think the reason Gorton wanted Namestnikov is the recent departure of Nash and Grabner. We were lacking 2-way forwards. Guys who are defensively responsible.

Yes, Miller is having a great few weeks in Tampa but as aufheben pointed out, he's shooting at 24%. That'll never stick. Miller is not a bad player, but I feel Namestnikov is a better fit for this team long-term, also with a lower AAV on his next deal.

I think two-way players are easier to find and develop than offensive talents. Namestnikov would be a good addition, and maybe a running mate with Andersson going forward. I just don't think it should've Miller that was given up. Or vice versa, Miller should've returned a similar or an equivalent offensive talent.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
A year ago I hated Hayes more than Miller, thought he was lazy, didn’t have a great attitude, inconsistent, etc. but he’s took tremendous strides this season. He’s an absolute beast and is emerging as one of the leaders of this team. One of the most underrated players in the league today

We’re about to be so stacked at Center, I don’t want to move any of them though. Center depth has definitely been one of the biggest factors in who’s won the cup in recent memory. Fortunately a lot of our C’s are versatile and can play the wing. I think moving forward Zibanejad moves to the wing, where I think he could really find himself as a player and perhaps even emerge into a bit of an Ovi-lite.

You were not wrong. I thought Miller was the best of the American bunch of Kreider, Hayes, Vesey, etc. But we're seeing both Hayes and Kreider really jacking it up to the next level, which I hope is not a blip going into next season.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I don’t see why Hayes can’t have a Wheeler esque step in development

Since returning from injury
30-13-11-23 67sog

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Doesn’t really say much in the interview

Carp not exactly coming with good questions.

I was not aware that Hayes had an injury in college that almost resulted in his leg getting amputated

Scary stuff

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I don't read a lot of the articles that I expect to be "fluff" and just filled with cliche and rhetoric, so I may be more susceptible to falling for it; but this sounds like it's sincere on Hayes' part.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
MFW the Rangers didn't sign Hayes long-term this year and he posts 50-60 points this year and they tied their hands and are forced to deal him at the deadline

giphy.gif

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
MFW the Rangers didn't sign Hayes long-term this year and he posts 50-60 points this year and they tied their hands and are forced to deal him at the deadline

giphy.gif
I don't think they'll be forced to deal him at the deadline, if they even move him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->