Friedman: Kevin Hayes Linked to Boston & Colorado

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I've read posts from multiple Rangers fans suggesting it would take either A) Cale Makar(Laughable) B) 1st + Kaut(Again ridiculous) C) 1st + Jost/Timmins

Hayes, as an impending UFA with a career high of 45 points is not getting a Mid 1st round pick and a B+ level prospect/young NHLer. He'd be lucky to get one of those pieces and an add at all.

49 in 76 is his high but thats besides the point.

The 1st will be later than mid and that secondary piece is going to be better than you think. Maybe not one of those guys, but it'll be relatively significant.

It'll be closer to some of those "ridiculous" returns than what I've read on your board.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
OK Avs and Bruins fans... how are the following doing?

COL: Timmins, Meloche
BOS: Zboril, Vaakanainen

Both are injured currently. Zboril is probably available, but Vaak was the first call up when Boston needed a d-man. Sweeney & Co. are very high on him. Rumor is they see Vaak as McAvoy's future partner on the top pairing.

Reactions: wintersej

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Let me echo this.

Hayes was not interested in signing with Boston due to how his brother AND family were treated by local media and fan base.

My understanding of the situation today is that not much has changed.

Since he cannot dictate where he gets traded, Boston IS a possibility, but beyond this year, I highly doubt he is there long term while h the Bruins know and as such will reflect that in any offer

Exactly why Boston won't come close to bringing an offer the Rangers would take. Bad blood and they know he won't re-sign. Unless they feel like he's the missing piece to a cup appearance, they would offer pennies on the dollar.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'd do Kaut and 2nd.

I wouldn't do Kaut alone.

I guess I should probably clarify. I haven't really bought into the Avs being a very good team yet. So I'm not as confident that our 1st is going to be as late as some. Also besides Compher and MacK, Kaut is the only other impact forward we have coming who is right handed. Hes also heating up in the AHL as a 19 year old. Hes exactly what we need to coming into this team as a right handed winger who has a nasty shot, and has size with a strong two way game.

Hayes just isn't someone I'm willing to sell any significant futures for. I'm also one who is skeptical that 1st round picks are going to be tossed around. I see less 1st rounders being moved at the TDL going forward unless they come with fairly clear cut conditions.

I'm also not a fan of what guys like Hayes are getting paid. At 5M or so hes probably fine, but the price to extend him won't be favorable IMO. Especially because I don't view him as a #2C on a contending team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bender

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
The Avs first could be in play. There is zero chance Jost, Kaut or Timmins will be attached to it for an UFA. We need a player to play WITH Jost, Kaut has made great progress and we just picked him in the middle of the first round and Timmins is concussed so don’t hold your breathe for any of that group even if you do us such a swell favor and change the first out to a second.

The Avs are in no rush to spend multiple top assets on UFAs. Hayes is a really nice piece. He doesn’t put us level with Nashville, Winnipeg or any of the top Western teams. We are young, we aren’t cashing in on UFAs yet for a Cup run.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
49 in 76 is his high but thats besides the point.

The 1st will be later than mid and that secondary piece is going to be better than you think. Maybe not one of those guys, but it'll be relatively significant.

It'll be closer to some of those "ridiculous" returns than what I've read on your board.

Pot. Meet kettle. Your seriously going to come storming in here on your high horse telling everybody what you will and will not offer based on getting all lathered up going to a team specific board and reading their internal banterings? You gonna call the fairness cops on those posters?

If you don’t want to get all pissy, don’t spend your time lurking on team specific fan boards. Not sure what you were expecting. I’m sure all Avs fan will bring your ultimatums to their own trade rumors thread and quickly realize the error of their ways.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
I will give Rangers fans credit; none of them have asked for Ottawa's first in this thread yet. Respect.

I like Hayes. More importantly, I think the Avs really like Hayes and would be willing to be put some decent pieces out there for him. A lot of Avs fans wouldn't do COL 1st in 2019 but I have a feeling Sakic would, with the expectation that Hayes would re-sign.

(In before bern comes in talking about Chapman.)

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
I will give Rangers fans credit; none of them have asked for Ottawa's first in this thread yet. Respect.

I like Hayes. More importantly, I think the Avs really like Hayes and would be willing to be put some decent pieces out there for him. A lot of Avs fans wouldn't do COL 1st in 2019 but I have a feeling Sakic would, with the expectation that Hayes would re-sign.

(In before bern comes in talking about Chapman.)

Feeling is Sakic definitely views that 1st as expendable. I wish he didn't.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Similar to other Avs fans I would rather go after him in UFA if he makes it there rather than pay for him now (unless he comes at a price less than most expect). Hayes isn’t the kind of guy I spend a 1st on, at least not for a team in Colorado’s position. I would be mad if the team did spend that 2019 1st but I’ll admit it wouldn’t be shocking, the team certainly seems to like him if the rumours are to be believed.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
FTR, I fully expect Sakic would move the 2019 1st (with something like a top 10 protection on it as we’ve seen recently) + something for Hayes, but I don’t think for an instant that “something” would be an equal or higher value piece to the 1st. It’d be a B piece, making up a traditional 1st+B asset for rental deal.

Reactions: Lion Hound

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

They better put conditions on it if it's moved, and not that it would be unprotected the following year or some crap. I think SJ made the near perfect rental trade with Kane. That needs to be the model IMO.

Speedtrials

May 31, 2006
BB
Unless we get a package that you can't say no to, I really want the Rangers to try and resign him. Hayes has just hit his prime and continues to improve. Outside of Lundqvist he has easily been the best Ranger over the past couple of seasons.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013

I could live with it if it's protected. I'm just trying to separate what I would do from what I think Sakic would do. I just think he really likes Hayes and it makes too much sense.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Hayes + depth player for 1st + Timmins + Capdump for this year and potentially next year if applicable. Hayes would be an incredible fit on your 2nd line behind the MacK

Chytiljuicee

Jul 16, 2017
Makar and Kaut would be untouchable in a trade for Hayes but he's every bit worth a 1st and a plus prospect. Contending teams pay premiums all the time to bolster their top 6. Jeff Gorton is not trading Hayes for less than Rick Nash fetched last February. Hayes is more than his points suggest, you'd have to watch him play to realize his value. Wins puck battles consistently and it's very hard to take the puck off his stick. It seems most of his production is from him extending plays most don't. He's obviously not a point per game player and never will be but he's got more value than what his hockey db page says.

Reactions: bernmeister

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Obviously Joe/Avs management really like Hayes, so like others have said I could see them trading their 1st + something else with him, but the 1st would be the main piece. Most Avs fans, however, would prefer to go big game hunting for a forward like Mark Stone or something, potentially in free agency. I have faith in Joe, and if we get a guy like Podkolzin with Ott's pick I could see it making more sense.

I don't mind Haye, I just don't like the idea of having too many guys in the middle 6 making 5M+ moving forward, that's how you get into cap trouble. Give me Mark Stone for the extra 3M

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Avs for Jost and the Avs 1st

Avs wouldn't pay that for Skinner, why would they for Hayes?

He will be traded for all the hopes and dreams of the entire Rangers fan base. In one collective sigh they will all be disappointed in the late 1st or 2nd + decent NHLer he returns. Anything more and the team getting him will be the one disappointed.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Avs wouldn't pay that for Skinner, why would they for Hayes?

He will be traded for all the hopes and dreams of the entire Rangers fan base. In one collective sigh they will all be disappointed in the late 1st or 2nd + decent NHLer he returns. Anything more and the team getting him will be the one disappointed.
You haven’t watched Hayes then, he’s not the same player he was even a year ago. If I were a contending team I’d gladly offer up a 1st++
I wouldn’t pursue Hayes if I’m the Avs though, they’re not a cup contender just yet and I get why they don’t want to move significant pieces for Hayes, better off just keeping those future pieces to round out the team for the future

Reactions: Skjeibutter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad