Value of: Kevin Hayes - Jets

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
1st, Appleton, Virtanen.
This is comparable to the return NYR got for Nash (1st, Lindgren, OGara) but without the Spooner/Beleskey Cap dumps
Hayes also doesn't have Nash's pedigree and history of being an NHL superstar/name recognition. Also dumping over 6 million in salary would have inflated the price BOS would have had to pay significantly. I don't see anyway the Jet's remotely close to that. That's more value than they paid for Statsny.

Reactions: kylbaz and Snowman

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Hayes also doesn't have Nash's pedigree and history of being an NHL superstar/name recognition. Also dumping over 6 million in salary would have inflated the price BOS would have had to pay significantly. I don't see anyway the Jet's remotely close to that. That's more value than they paid for Statsny.

Agreed

Chevy would get roasted if he gave that up for Hayes.

Reactions: Pongs21 and Snowman

Pongs21

Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Taking a quick look from 2010 to present for trade deadline, there's an average of 2.3 1st rounders traded. Considering the names available this year, along with expansion on the horizon, I wouldn't be so certain Hayes' is returning a 1st IMHO. Not saying he won't but IF he does I would wager it's going to be a conditional 1st.

McDLT

I'm a style boy for life
Mar 1, 2016
Calgary
lmao
2s8rcr.jpg

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Taking a quick look from 2010 to present for trade deadline, there's an average of 2.3 1st rounders traded. Considering the names available this year, along with expansion on the horizon, I wouldn't be so certain Hayes' is returning a 1st IMHO. Not saying he won't but IF he does I would wager it's going to be a conditional 1st.

Simmonds will get one for sure. Duchene as well if he doesn't sign with the Sens. Those are about the only two guaranteed firsts as far as forwards go IMHO. There are a lot of players in the tier under those guys available.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I really cannot envision a situation where he doesn't return a first unless it's because the return is built around a highly valued prospect who holds very similar value to an upcoming first. There is no way a player like Hayes gets a condition first or less as the main piece of a deadline deal.

Pongs21

Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Simmonds will get one for sure. Duchene as well if he doesn't sign with the Sens. Those are about the only two guaranteed firsts as far as forwards go IMHO. There are a lot of players in the tier under those guys available.
Douchene, Stone, Panarin, Ferland off the top of my head. I'm not sure if Simmonds will return a 1st, but I feel he'd be more likely to return one than Hayes given his pedigree.

Reactions: Deuce Awesome

Pongs21

Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
I really cannot envision a situation where he doesn't return a first unless it's because the return is built around a highly valued prospect who holds very similar value to an upcoming first. There is no way a player like Hayes gets a condition first or less as the main piece of a deadline deal.
See E. Kane deal last year. Conditional 1st, prospect, 4th. I could see something similar where the 1st is conditional on resigning.

Reactions: Heldig

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
*****ene, Stone, Panarin, Ferland off the top of my head. I'm not sure if Simmonds will return a 1st, but I feel he'd be more likely to return one than Hayes given his pedigree.

Forgot about those other guys. Yeah for sure if Panarin is available he will get one.

I feel Simmonds will get a first for sure. He's the kind of player you want for the playoffs. I could see Boston going in on him, I would love for Toronto to but Babcock is allergic to sandpaper. Ferland fits into this category as well although not quite as proven.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Welcome to NYR player valuation lol

1st plus 2 good prospects for a rental
That price isn't terribly off for a deadline rental.

However, that is exactly why you should not f***ing go for them at all.

I find it funny how people were enamoured with Stastny last year. There was the #2C we need... and we casually gave up a pick that could realistically have gotten us Veleno. Now Stastny is a Jet no more, the 'hole' at 2C is still open, and people actually wonder what we could do to it with our barren pipeline down the middle.

Reactions: a mangy Meowth

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Sorry if your ignorance offends you. Roslovic lead his NCAA team in scoring his draft+1 year. He lead his AHL team in scoring his draft+2 year. When he was called up last year he was leading the AHL in scoring.

Does that sound like a player available for a rental because they haven't scored playing a 4th line role?

For Kevin Hayes, yes it does.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
See E. Kane deal last year. Conditional 1st, prospect, 4th. I could see something similar where the 1st is conditional on resigning.
This.

Hayes does not have the upside nor history (career high is what, 49 points?) to command a 1st + +. Not sure how he is an upgrade on Little. And then what do the Jets do with (overpaid) Little? Play him on the 4th line?

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010

However, that is exactly why you should not ****ing go for them at all.

I find it funny how people were enamoured with Stastny last year. There was the #2C we need... and we casually gave up a pick that could realistically have gotten us Veleno. Now Stastny is a Jet no more, the 'hole' at 2C is still open, and people actually wonder what we could do to it with our barren pipeline down the middle.

Well he got you guys 15 points in 17 games in what was a hell of a playoff run.

Thats the very definition of a rental that worked out. In this day and age there aren't really dynasty teams anymore, so when you are close to the top you go for it.

Reactions: BatVader

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.

However, that is exactly why you should not ****ing go for them at all.

I think Chevy and others thought we could re-sign Stastny, and he was a great fit between Ehlers and Laine. We really miss having a dependable second scoring line.

I'm not interested in spending a first for a rental this year though, maybe someone with term. If not, then just go with the guys we got.

Reactions: BatVader

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I can only see it if we don't trade Hayes until the last day possible. We have 14 games left before the trade deadline, that's a lot of time for a cold streak, an injury, or something to go wrong from the great play he's had.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

Thats the very definition of a rental that worked out. In this day and age there aren't really dynasty teams anymore, so when you are close to the top you go for it.

he was good, but the Jets have 0 to show for the trade now.

i don't think it is smart to go big game hunting at the TDL every year and definitely not move a 1st in consecutive years.

Id be on board if Chevy does a move to get another vet C or LHD in, value akin to what WSH moved for Kempny last year.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

I could not named five rentals who worked out better.

I also do not think he was worth the price. Not anywhere near, to be honest.

If you have a hole at a position in both the short term and the long term, why settle for a short-term fix? Get someone with team control, like... Joe Veleno?

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
I could not named five rentals who worked out better.

I also do not think he was worth the price. Not anywhere near, to be honest.

If you have a hole at a position in both the short term and the long term, why settle for a short-term fix? Get someone with team control, like... Joe Veleno?

A big reason for the Jets to go after a big rental this deadline is the amount of money they will owe their RFAs will drastically change the makeup of their team going forward, their window certainly isn't closing by any means but they are among the top teams in the west and a cap crunch is coming very soon. They have a legitimately good shot for a run at the cup, and in a salary cap league you need to take your shot when you get the opportunity.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
A big reason for the Jets to go after a big rental this deadline is the amount of money they will owe their RFAs will drastically change the makeup of their team going forward, their window certainly isn't closing by any means but they are among the top teams in the west and a cap crunch is coming very soon. They have a legitimately good shot for a run at the cup, and in a salary cap league you need to take your shot when you get the opportunity.
We don't have a good shot. The underlying numbers suggest that we are far from the best teams. Hayes does not change that.

What you seem to overrate to a great extent is the impact one rental has. That impact is ridiculously small, seeing as much of what happens in the playoffs is driven by luck. Heck, even the favourite is seriously unlikely to win in any given year.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
We don't have a good shot. The underlying numbers suggest that we are far from the best teams. Hayes does not change that.

What you seem to overrate to a great extent is the impact one rental has. That impact is ridiculously small, seeing as much of what happens in the playoffs is driven by luck. Heck, even the favourite is seriously unlikely to win in any given year.

Given I have watched Hayes grow as a player over the past 4 season, and considering his impressive play thus far, he could have that sort of impact on your team and its depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00