Value of: Kevin Hayes - Jets

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
This thread is about Hayes, not Zuc, who is another ?.
That said, 'peg doesn't wanna pay a 1st let alone +, for pretty much anybody,
NY doesn't wanna take alternate comp

If I have not overlooked something, let this thread die a natural death before more of the same results in \.

They got 1st only because they took back a cap dump.

Kane got a conditional 2nd
Buffallo didnt give up a 1stf for skinner.

The only way rangers get a 1dt is if they take back multi year salary dump or itts condition on An extention or team advances to semis

Reactions: Pongs21

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

The only way rangers get a 1dt is if they take back multi year salary dump or itts condition on An extention or team advances to semis

not enuf recent exceptions
so rule is still a 1st for quality rental

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016

Hayes is a young, big center who has scored in the mid 40's while being mostly relegated to a 3rd line C. He is a 2nd line C this season. There should be little doubt he can return a 1st at the TDL w/o a dump coming back. That seems silly to even suggest it in a serious tone.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Hayes is a young, big center who has scored in the mid 40's while being mostly relegated to a 3rd line C. He is a 2nd line C this season. There should be little doubt he can return a 1st at the TDL w/o a dump coming back. That seems silly to even suggest it in a serious tone.

What players have returned 1st round picks at the TDL in the last 4 years that were UFAs at season's end? Honestly, is Hayes in that category?

2018 -Stasney, Nash (Brassard had 40% retained and had another year on his deal, Kane got a 2nd rounder with a conditional 1st if he signed an extension, Hartman was an RFA)
2017 - Shattenkirk, Hanzal
2016 - Ladd
2015 - Vermette (Coburn and Perron still had an additional year on their deals)

So there are 1 or 2 trades per year for UFAs that do return a 1st. Most often it's a 2nd + now. You can look at the Hanzel and Vermette trades and hope someone does something similar with Hayes but I think most people thought that Hanzal trade was terrible for the Wild. Is Hayes the only available center at the deadline like Vermette was? (Duchesne says hi)

There were a couple other bigger trades with multiple pieces heading each way where part of the return was a 1st but not for just the rental. I would be shocked if someone gave up a 1st for Hayes. I think it's fine for the Rangers to hope for a 1st for Hayes. I will be surprised if someone pays that price and don't agree that there is "little doubt" he can return a 1st. All those above players were 1st line players on the teams trading them away.

Hayes is a valuable piece. I'd love for the Jets to add him. I wouldn't pay a 1st rounder for him and if that's what it took I'd walk away.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The Rangers kind of use Hayes like the Flyers have used Sean Couturier. A shut down all situations centerman who can provide some offense. Hayes is big and very strong and moves well. Good hockey IQ. Excellent PK guy. 50/50 face-offs. One of his issues is he passes up shot opportunities to make plays. He can be a beast. He knows how to use his body to shield opponents away from the puck. He's a good skater and has great balance with a long reach and you're not going through him. He is patient with the puck and a very good passer. Last season AV wouldn't play him on the power play--at least not until the last couple months of the season. He got tons of penalty kill time. He still finished with 25 goals and 44 points but very little of it is power play production. He's a really good player and to be honest I wouldn't be bothered at all if the Rangers decided to re-sign him. To me 5 years at $5.5 mil per would be pretty fair. If he gets to free agency I think he'll get at least that.

In a trade I'd want more than just a late 1st. I'd want more than we got for Rick Nash who IMO wasn't nearly as good a player as Hayes.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
What players have returned 1st round picks at the TDL in the last 4 years that were UFAs at season's end? Honestly, is Hayes in that category?

2018 -Stasney, Nash (Brassard had 40% retained and had another year on his deal, Kane got a 2nd rounder with a conditional 1st if he signed an extension, Hartman was an RFA)
2016 - Ladd

So there are 1 or 2 trades per year for UFAs that do return a 1st. Most often it's a 2nd + now. You can look at the Hanzel and Vermette trades and hope someone does something similar with Hayes but I think most people thought that Hanzal trade was terrible for the Wild. Is Hayes the only available center at the deadline like Vermette was? (Duchesne says hi)

There were a couple other bigger trades with multiple pieces heading each way where part of the return was a 1st but not for just the rental. I would be shocked if someone gave up a 1st for Hayes. I think it's fine for the Rangers to hope for a 1st for Hayes. I will be surprised if someone pays that price and don't agree that there is "little doubt" he can return a 1st. All those above players were 1st line players on the teams trading them away.

Hayes is a valuable piece. I'd love for the Jets to add him. I wouldn't pay a 1st rounder for him and if that's what it took I'd walk away.

Something tells me when a top 6 centre with size, who is 26 is available at the TDL as a UFA, the acquiring team most likely will want to retain him.........that warrants a 1st. There is no question. Most of those guys you listed were 30+ yrs at the time of acquisition, they were true rentals. That is when a team doesn't want to give up a first. You obviously don't and that is fine. The Rangers aren't going to sell low on a top 6 centre.

Reactions: NewYorkNick

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.

2016 - Ladd

I think I’d rather the Jets go after Eric Staal if the Wild are out of it at by the trade deadline.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
This trade just seems so obvious for Jets. With all the possible problems seen this season...

Best possible center fit for them.

Possible but really depends on what other teams are offering for him.....he’s a rental guy who is a 40+ point guy historically that is having a career year at 26 yrs old. UFA this summer. I suspect other teams would far out bid the Jets.....for his services. As all things, depends on the cost.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Not sure the Jets should be trading a 1st and/or a good young player for a UFA. They need entry level players to deal with salary cap issues starting next summer. Giving up a Roslovic or Appleton type player is a bad idea. I would rather they stay the course this season and see if experience helps them in the playoffs. If Laine cant figure out his game I doubt adding a decent C is going to fix it either. Then they have bigger issues to deal with in the off season.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Possible but really depends on what other teams are offering for him.....he’s a rental guy who is a 40+ point guy historically that is having a career year at 26 yrs old. UFA this summer. I suspect other teams would far out bid the Jets.....for his services. As all things, depends on the cost.
Most guys take 4 years to figure out the league. Bigger guys can take longer, so a 5th year breakout for Hayes is not that surprising. Still need to see if it sticks but if it does stick, his value will skyrocket.

Anyway, I think he’d be a good fit on the Jets.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Most guys take 4 years to figure out the league. Bigger guys can take longer, so a 5th year breakout for Hayes is not that surprising. Still need to see if it sticks but if it does stick, his value will skyrocket.

Anyway, I think he’d be a good fit on the Jets.

LoTs of guys would be a good fit on the Jets......all depends on the price. Rumour is Chevy is looking at a lot of players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->