Player Discussion Kevin Fiala

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think, at best, you were hoping Seto would be the winger version of what Hartman provides this year offensively. That is very different than Fiala.

Yeah this (Hartman) is a much better comp. You were hoping Setoguchi could be a fine complementary player that could get 25-30 goals. Fiala is a fully fledged line driver capable of way more than Setoguchi ever was.

Reactions: Slotski

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I know it’s going to be hard seeing him go and he has been really good lately, but reminder that he is getting prime time opportunities against the opponents weaker players. The line driver thing is a bit questionable considering most were upset with his production last year and this year before he got Boldy, when he was on an island and was supposed to drive offense alone. The GREEF line and Kaprizov line take a majority of the big matchups leaving Fiala to feast on 3rd pair d men and bottom 6 forwards in most cases. He does really well with that, but this is not a situation that most teams can ever maintain for very long. It is a very nice luxury, but just not one we can really budget for long term.

7dayBender

Jun 4, 2021
SW Minnesota
I know it’s going to be hard seeing him go and he has been really good lately, but reminder that he is getting prime time opportunities against the opponents weaker players. The line driver thing is a bit questionable considering most were upset with his production last year and this year before he got Boldy, when he was on an island and was supposed to drive offense alone. The GREEF line and Kaprizov line take a majority of the big matchups leaving Fiala to feast on 3rd pair d men and bottom 6 forwards in most cases. He does really well with that, but this is not a situation that most teams can ever maintain for very long. It is a very nice luxury, but just not one we can really budget for long term.

This sums up what I have thought about the whole situation. Fiala is great to have, but not necessarily worth what he wants considering our cap.

How hard would it be to get through to Fiala that if he takes a bridge until he's 28 we can pay him then? I know you can't tell a player when they deserve certain contracts, but at 23 Kucherov took a bridge deal from 16-19 where he was only making $4.76M. Ended up working out ok for him.

If Fiala took a 3/4 year deal at something like $5.2-5.8M and he started scoring like Kucherov he could get north of $80M for the max deal that would take him to 36. Would you take Fiala at that number with a full NMC if he were willing to sign? I certainly would.

Burakovsky is the closest contract based on games and points. That was a one year deal signed in 2019 for $3.25M. he is currently on a two year $4.9M deal.

I personally think Fiala is better than Burakovsky, but not $2.5M+ per year better.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Fiala seems very happy on the ice these days. His joy at goals for him or teammates is off the charts.

I am a fan of the Fiala Gaudreau Boldy line. Freddy G is quietly putting up .5 pts a game, and hell he can snipe when he chooses to shoot. Most dependable center on the draw as well.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota

I was never upset with him pacing 69 and 65 points the last two seasons, nor should anyone have been. He had a carousel of linemates with the most common being Johansson last season. Putting numbers up like this with that is the epitome of driving a line.

And I couldn’t care less who his line is being matched up against, the entire goal of roster construction is to have this depth of scoring and be able to exploit a matchup. That’s literally the point. We’re finally at a place where we have 4 skilled wingers that can produce in our top 6, and we’re going to just chalk that up to, “oh well, this isn’t normal?”

Having a skilled 2nd line is not a luxury, it’s the f***ing goal, and it doesn’t/didn’t have go down this way, but when we choose an overpaid and wildly mediocre Matt Dumba, we’re going to regret it.

Last edited:

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
I was so upset with Fiala when he would choose to play with the part of Parise's ghost still stuck in his body and whatever non-Ek center wasn't quite as good as Victor Rask.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'm gonna miss him
Assuming we land around 10th pick (give or take 2)... how much work needs to be done from either side in a trade? Also have boston 1st that could be used and add 1 of our forward prospects.

Last edited:

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Assuming we land around 10th pick (give or take 2)... how much work needs to be done from either side in a trade? Also have boston 1st that could be used and add 1 of our forward prospects.
Honestly, I'd be pumped with a high(ish) 1st for Fiala, given that the Wild can't afford to re-sign him. I also hope it's 9th overall, as it would complete a pretty neat trade "tree". The Wild would have turned a 9th overall pick into Granlund, into Fiala, into 9th overall pick again. Can't imagine perfectly straight lines like that happen often in trades.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Honestly, I'd be pumped with a high(ish) 1st for Fiala, given that the Wild can't afford to re-sign him. I also hope it's 9th overall, as it would complete a pretty neat trade "tree". The Wild would have turned a 9th overall pick into Granlund, into Fiala, into 9th overall pick again. Can't imagine perfectly straight lines like that happen often in trades.
Ya given the situation the 9-11th prob a bit high, but I feel like fiala is a top 10 pick caliber player. we basically be hoping to get a fiala with that pick. I feel like we could do Boston 1st + perreault/comtois/pastujov/Tracey type deal and be in the running value wise. Ya I’m sure there is some sort of wiggle room , wild add sweetener etc but I think it’s doable as a base.

Having fiala and terry on zegras and mctavish wings would be money

7dayBender

Jun 4, 2021
SW Minnesota
Would you trade Fiala for Bertuzzi? If so, who adds, or do you think it would be a straight up trade?

(assuming bertuzzi's number is closer to 6 than Fiala's)

Southern Minny

Nov 29, 2021
This may be pie in the sky here, but what if they offered Fiala a 5-year, first 3 years at 5M, year 4 at 7M and year 5 at 8M for total 30M for 5 years?

ShortPeter6

Feb 8, 2022
This may be pie in the sky here, but what if they offered Fiala a 5-year, first 3 years at 5M, year 4 at 7M and year 5 at 8M for total 30M for 5 years?
Unless he just really loves being here no way he accepts. With the way he’s been producing, probably looking for 8 mill avg.

It sucks but only way we can really afford him is to move Dumba, Talbot and either Zucc or a Combo of others. The extra 8 mill of dead cap makes it almost impossible to keep him.

Reactions: Southern Minny
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad