Kevin Fiala, reborn (23 points in last 10 games)

Teppo

Mar 3, 2008
I have seen every minute of every game both Fiala and Kaprizov have played for the Wild, and I have reached the conclusion that Peak Fiala > Peak Kaprizov - yeah I said it.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Off the topic of the thread, why would Addison need to carry the pair. He'd almost certainly be paired with Brodin while Spurgeon and Middleton remain together.
are you sure? I think they might try to overload and do Spurge and Brodin vs top lines. I'm not super optimistic about us being able to cover a less able D with more scoring if that's the route we're going, especially if that D is less able to move the puck, too. I do like Middleton but it's a very small sample size right now.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
I have seen every minute of every game both Fiala and Kaprizov have played for the Wild, and I have reached the conclusion that Peak Fiala > Peak Kaprizov - yeah I said it.
i think you're wrong, but even if you were correct Fiala off his peak is<<<Kaprizov off his peak, and Fiala is off his peak more than he's on.

possibly in Fiala's favor but how has the quality of competition lined up during this Hot Fiala period vs Kaprizov and zone start percentage etc?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
i think you're wrong, but even if you were correct Fiala off his peak is<<<Kaprizov off his peak, and Fiala is off his peak more than he's on.

possibly in Fiala's favor but how has the quality of competition lined up during this Hot Fiala period vs Kaprizov and zone start percentage etc?

Yeah, I don't think this is true.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Yeah, I don't think this is true.
if fiala was at peak most of the time we wouldn't even be arguing about this and he would have $8m/yr already. to soften this a little it IS possible he's now unlocked consistency.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
if fiala was at peak most of the time we wouldn't even be arguing about this and he would have $8m/yr already. to soften this a little it IS possible he's now unlocked consistency.

We shouldn't be, and he should.

In his first full season here, he had 1 point 9 games, then 53 in 55. That's ~86% on and ~14% off.

In his second full season here, he had 0 points in 4 games, then 40 in 46. That's ~92% on and 8% off.

In his current season, he had 3 points in 8 games, then 74 in 69. That's ~90% on and ~10% off.

And this is before getting into the linemates aspect of things.

Last edited:
Reactions: BruinLVGA

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
We shouldn't be, and he should.

In his first full season here, he had 1 point 9 games, then 53 in 55. That's ~86% on and ~14% off.

In his second full season here, he had 0 points in 4 games, then 40 in 46. That's ~92% on and 8% off.

In his current season, he had 3 points in 8 games, then 74 in 69. That's ~90% on and ~10% off.

And this is before getting into the linemates aspect of things.
there were large chunks of inconsistent games in there (or bad series of shifts which limited his TOI for a game), which is why he didn't get the ice time people think he deserved. I've already said I think he's going to get $8m and and this last "prove it" (or whatever they're spinning it as) contract was 100% a great thing for him. I think there's a great chance he's not going to look as good outside this situation if he's THE main scoring threat. I'd definitely pay him if I were MIN with a full cap. Just don't think it's wise to got the Edmonton route for us.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
there were large chunks of inconsistent games in there (or bad series of shifts which limited his TOI for a game), which is why he didn't get the ice time people think he deserved. I've already said I think he's going to get $8m and and this last "prove it" (or whatever they're spinning it as) contract was 100% a great thing for him. I think there's a great chance he's not going to look as good outside this situation if he's THE main scoring threat. I'd definitely pay him if I were MIN with a full cap. Just don't think it's wise to got the Edmonton route for us.

It's still not really the Edmonton route, since we'll still have a good/solid bottom 6 and good defenders.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Ridley Greig is looking pretty good.

Hard-nosed player with offensive skill - 26 goals and 63 points in 39 games in the WHL.

Was picked for the Canadian WJC team.

Your 1st and Grieg is a very fair offer. I know you have the cap space, but is OTT willing to use it to sign Fiala? things must be in flux there will Melnyk's passing. Some MN fans have a bit of a thing for Pinto, also.

Last edited:

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
It's still not really the Edmonton route, since we'll still have a good/solid bottom 6 and good defenders.
i think we'd be degrading both for the sake of maintaining that scoring. I'd like to keep the balance and hope Boldy/Rossi will make up for Fiala's loss more than bank on Addison making up for Dumba's. I think we'd be swapping out a couple of our bottom six too if we're making room by selling off Dumba. Not sure what the return would be for him (Dumba) but it wouldn't be a proven good player I think or if it is it would be an ELC type we would have to pay more before the Bad Times were over and plan accordingly.

I'll not be terribly upset either way TBH. There's enough uncertainty (for me) with either method to make it viable or not--neither path immediately heralds doom.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
i think we'd be degrading both for the sake of maintaining that scoring. I'd like to keep the balance and hope Boldy/Rossi will make up for Fiala's loss more than bank on Addison making up for Dumba's. I think we'd be swapping out a couple of our bottom six too if we're making room by selling off Dumba. Not sure what the return would be for him (Dumba) but it wouldn't be a proven good player I think or if it is it would be an ELC type we would have to pay more before the Bad Times were over and plan accordingly.

I'll not be terribly upset either way TBH. There's enough uncertainty (for me) with either method to make it viable or not--neither path immediately heralds doom.

Maybe not doom, but it probably caps our potential at what Dallas currently is for a couple years, and then relies extremely heavily on what Rossi becomes.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Maybe not doom, but it probably caps our potential at what Dallas currently is for a couple years, and then relies extremely heavily on what Rossi becomes.
it does, but then it seems like forwards are easier to "hit" on than D because we generally have more in the basket. Also taking a hit on dynamic D is going to lessen the effectiveness of our solid bottom six.

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
Didn't think Fiala would get this good when he was traded for Granny, though didn't think that much about Grandlund either but he has been solid as well.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
No they don't.

Ottawa has a top 10 pick and then who will they trade?
I believe Ottawa is highly ranked in the prospect world, so just because you aren't aware of the talent , doesn't mean it's not there . A 1st plus one of their better prospects ( obviously not Sanderson) would likely be in the ballpark if hes truly available/Ottawa opens purse strings.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I believe Ottawa is highly ranked in the prospect world, so just because you aren't aware of the talent , doesn't mean it's not there . A 1st plus one of their better prospects ( obviously not Sanderson) would likely be in the ballpark if hes truly available/Ottawa opens purse strings.
Without Sanderson being available, which he wouldn’t be, the Sens have 1 “A” prospect in Grieg.

Then they have depth guys in Thomson, Brannstrom, JBD, Sokolov, Jarventie, etc.

Boucher is a year removed from being picked at 10th overall, but his value wouldn’t remotely compare to a 10th overall/1st.

The Sens prospect pool right now after Sanderson is league average at best.

All their top prospects have made the jump already (Pinto, Noris, Stutzle, Formenton)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Without Sanderson being available, which he wouldn’t be, the Sens have 1 “A” prospect in Grieg.

Then they have depth guys in Thomson, Brannstrom, JBD, Sokolov, Jarventie, etc.

Boucher is a year removed from being picked at 10th overall, but his value wouldn’t remotely compare to a 10th overall/1st.

The Sens prospect pool right now after Sanderson is league average at best.

All their top prospects have made the jump already (Pinto, Noris, Stutzle, Formenton)
Boucher is just the sort of guy that Guerin would like. Big, nasty...if he was a main part of a Fiala return then MN fans on here would riot.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
They were ranked 22nd overall in THN. Grieg doesn't do much for me personally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad