NBA Kevin Durant requests a trade

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I don't feel sorry for them at all. Both guys were divas before they came to the Nets.

I guess where I'm coming from is this: It's one thing to never win with these guys. Trade requests are another possibility that they could have seen coming.

But Tsai has wasted a lot of money for nothing between Kyrie's holdout, Durant's rehab, luxury tax, and Simmons' holdout. They gave up a ton of future assets for Harden only to have to flip him a year later. It now looks like Durant won't retire, but if that happened the franchise would be completely screwed.

There are bad outcomes, and then there are 99th percentile worst case scenarios. I'm an actuary, and part of my job is assessing these heavy tail risks and planning ahead. I imagine sports franchises are less proactive and held to lower regulatory standards than my industry. You never expect shit like this to happen ever, let alone have no protection for it.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
I guess where I'm coming from is this: It's one thing to never win with these guys. Trade requests are another possibility that they could have seen coming.

But Tsai has wasted a lot of money for nothing between Kyrie's holdout, Durant's rehab, luxury tax, and Simmons' holdout. They gave up a ton of future assets for Harden only to have to flip him a year later. It now looks like Durant won't retire, but if that happened the franchise would be completely screwed.

There are bad outcomes, and then there are 99th percentile worst case scenarios. I'm an actuary, and part of my job is assessing these heavy tail risks and planning ahead. I imagine sports franchises are less proactive and held to lower regulatory standards than my industry. You never expect shit like this to happen ever, let alone have no protection for it.

If Durant retires well then he gives up the 200 million so it can't be all that bad for the Nets, they just enter rebuild

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm all for player autonomy but i don't blame the owners for finally trying to take a stand.

Shit has gotten out of control with guys like Durant trying to force their way out of a multiyear commitment, Simmons being a mental midget and then Zion allegedly trying to run the show in New Orleans (to which he's since 180'd, but still)

CBA negotiations are going to be ugly.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
I'm all for player autonomy but i don't blame the owners for finally trying to take a stand.

Shit has gotten out of control with guys like Durant trying to force their way out of a multiyear commitment, Simmons being a mental midget and then Zion allegedly trying to run the show in New Orleans (to which he's since 180'd, but still)

CBA negotiations are going to be ugly.
I agree. I like how the players utilized their leverage, but unfortunately they got too arrogant and took it too far. Now that they've overplayed their hand, the owners will be out for blood during the 2024 CBA negotiations.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
If they actually play, I think KD/Kyrie/Simmons can be a really good trio. The fact that Simmons has less responsibility, especially on the offensive end, is absolutely a positive thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad