Kevin Bieksa appreciation thread

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
not to dredge up old wounds or long forgotten anger, but bieksa:

The Canucks blueliner credits the team's brief run in last year's playoffs with laying the foundation for his current elevated play.

"You always have confidence in yourself," he said. "I thought last year I had a pretty solid playoffs and I was happy with it and you just try to get better every year."

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=367171

srsly?

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
kb has ressurected himself. after 2 freak injuries. pairing up with the hammer has done wonders for him.

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
Bumpppp

+10 so far, with the next highest being +4 on a team with a -1 goal differential. Leading the team in hits and second for blocked shots.

Has been solid in both ends of the ice and working his magic in OT. I think he'll get credited for the OT winner last night.

yoss

May 25, 2011
Bieksa hasn't been appreciated since 2011. Dominant game from him against Islanders. ^ Hope he does get credit for that goal, looked like he slapped it in there to me.

Betamax*

Bieksa hasn't been appreciated since 2011. Dominant game from him against Islanders. ^ Hope he does get credit for that goal, looked like he slapped it in there to me.

Coach Torts appreciates Bieksa:

Bieksa shines bright in ugly win
Defenceman set up OT winner, has been a 'warrior' for new head coach John Tortorella
By Brad Ziemer, Vancouver Sun October 23, 2013

Source: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Bieksa+shines+bright+ugly/9070773/story.html

Excerpts (from post game Press Conference):

Bieksa, who has never seen an offensive zone pinch he didn't like, had another strong game for the Canucks. He was only credited with one assist, but was on the ice for Vancouver's final three goals, including the gamewinner by Brad Richardson. "I just think he is a warrior," Tortorella said. "We all know what he brings. I think we need more of that strut within our team. At times he gets sloppy, but in these types of situations he is the type of guy you want on the ice.

"I think we can correct some of the things and teach how we want him to play a little bit more defensively in certain situations. But he is a gunslinger and I like that. We need more gunslingers."

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
Love his work gaining/holding the zone this year. Seems to just barge his way down the boards and get the puck deep almost every single time he tries. Always liked Bieksa as a person but Bieksa the hockey player tends to be a bit of an enigma at times. Here's hoping his early season form is not an illusion.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
I was discussing Bieksa with a friend of mine, a Flames fan incidentally. He said he thought Bieksa could not be part of a Stanley Cup winning team because he doesn't think Bieksa can play air tight hockey. His aggressive play has led directly to us winning a few games this season and he's risen to the moment a number of times before in big games as well. Will Torts be able to coach Bieksa to a point that he can play a mistake free game when we need him to? I do think that there is something to the notion that to win a Cup you need players that are capable of doing all the little things right.

How Ya Drouin

12/08/13 GM GamesRIP
Apr 24, 2013
Ontario
Does anybody find it funny the last post before today was June 1, 2011... the day a certain series started?

I don't. I find it sad :cry:

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
I still have mixed feelings about Bieksa.

I've hated him most of is tenure here. Now he's outplaying Hamhuis with consistency.

I'm going to hold off until the half way mark and see where he's at before I decide I might like him a little..

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
there's Bieksa-As-HF-Boards-See-Him and actual Bieksa, who is actually a very useful hockey player.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Here's a bit of a story on Bieksa.
My son wanted to get a Canuck's jersey and he loved Bieksa because he would drop the gloves. That was the season all of the rumours were swirling about him being traded. I debated whether to try to talk him into getting another jersey but kept my mouth shut. 4 or 5 years later Bieksa is still on the team and the jersey looks great! :)

Over the years Bieksa has become one of my favourite Canucks. AV loved the guy and so does Torts. He plays with passion and an edge that this team really needs.

Betamax*

Here's a bit of a story on Bieksa.
My son wanted to get a Canuck's jersey and he loved Bieksa because he would drop the gloves. That was the season all of the rumours were swirling about him being traded. I debated whether to try to talk him into getting another jersey but kept my mouth shut. 4 or 5 years later Bieksa is still on the team and the jersey looks great! :)

Over the years Bieksa has become one of my favourite Canucks. AV loved the guy and so does Torts. He plays with passion and an edge that this team really needs.

I stated this in another post on these boards but I've been a Bieksa backer.

I thought when Bobby Lu relinquished the captaincy, Bieksa was my choice to be the Team Captain, followe by Kesler.

As it turned out, Henrik was probably the better choice given the consistency and high level play he has shown after taken over that role. But who's not to say if the 'C' was given to Bieksa he may have corrected some of the habits Tort's alluded to in his quote?

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011

I thought when Bobby Lu relinquished the captaincy, Bieksa was my choice to be the Team Captain, followe by Kesler.

As it turned out, Henrik was probably the better choice given the consistency and high level play he has shown after taken over that role. But who's not to say if the 'C' was given to Bieksa he may have corrected some of the habits Tort's alluded to in his quote?
Not with AV and his goonsquad running the show. Thank goodness Tortz and co. are here to get edler and bieksa's heads back on straight.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

it probably wouldnt have made a difference

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Bieksa regularly alternates between being one of our best defensemen and one of our worst (or at least most frustrating) on a year-to-year basis.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4