Kevin Bieksa appreciation thread

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
I hate on Bieksa a lot. He infuriates me to no end. However, Tortz and co. seem to have gotten him and Edler's heads back on straight. It just shows how much damage AV was causing as coach of this team.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
Watching that video it's amusing to see so many unsuspecting inexperienced fighters try to take on Bieksa after a hard hit or scrum and then realize that they probably shouldn't have when Bieksa surprisingly pummels them.

No Face No Case

Feb 28, 2012
Henrik = A+
Bieksa, Edler, Garrison,Tanev,Richardson and Santorelli = A
Kesler Higgins Stanton, Luongo= B+
Daniel,Hansen,Welsh, Kassian, Lack = B
Hamhuis, Sestito, Schroeder = C
Booth= D

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I think out of all the Canucks, Beiksa is going to benefit from the coach Tortarella's arrival the most. He's the kinda d-man who can skate, and loves to jump up in the play, and that is Torts system for defence. Offence is a good defence. Kevin is thrilled that Tortarella is here, I can assure you guys of that.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Itd be great if this recent level of play became the new normal for Big Kev. He's going to make his gaffes, bbut you live with them when you have a "gunslinger". Biggest question mark is if Torts can get Bieksa to know the times he just can't be wrong.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Watching that video it's amusing to see so many unsuspecting inexperienced fighters try to take on Bieksa after a hard hit or scrum and then realize that they probably shouldn't have when Bieksa surprisingly pummels them.

But according to some "fighters" he "picks his spots".:laugh: well he does right lol.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Henrik = A+
Bieksa, Edler, Garrison,Tanev,Richardson and Santorelli = A
Kesler Higgins Stanton, Luongo= B+
Daniel,Hansen,Welsh, Kassian, Lack = B
Hamhuis, Sestito, Schroeder = C
Booth= D
We should have a Henrik Sedin appreciation thread. He hasn't been getting enough credit-- Acting/playing like a damn great captain so far this season-- In fact, he's pretty much single-handedly driving our offense right now while playing great defensively.

Last edited:

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
We should have a Henrik Sedin appreciation thread. He hasn't been getting enough credit-- Acting/playing like a damn great captain so far this season-- In fact, he's pretty much single-handedly driving our offense right now while playing great defensively.

He's currently 2nd in league scoring, behind some guy named Crosby.

Betamax*

I think out of all the Canucks, Beiksa is going to benefit from the coach Tortarella's arrival the most. He's the kinda d-man who can skate, and loves to jump up in the play, and that is Torts system for defence. Offence is a good defence. Kevin is thrilled that Tortarella is here, I can assure you guys of that.

That's the underrated part of Bieksa's game. He sometimes gives the wrong impression that he isn't a quick skater because of his "Kasual Kev" tendencies where he thinks like he's Super Mario and likes to slow the game down to his pace. But when he wants to motor, he has shown on many occassions he has pace.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
That's the underrated part of Bieksa's game. He sometimes gives the wrong impression that he isn't a quick skater because of his "Kasual Kev" tendencies where he thinks like he's Super Mario and likes to slow the game down to his pace. But when he wants to motor, he has shown on many occassions he has pace.
This doesn't really make sense, but he always seems slow in the defensive zone and fast in the offensive zone to me, whether he's playing well or not. Maybe it has to do with his agility and forwards/backwards skating?

Lundface*

This doesn't really make sense, but he always seems slow in the defensive zone and fast in the offensive zone to me, whether he's playing well or not. Maybe it has to do with his agility and forwards/backwards skating?

He has poor mobility, specifically when having to go from backwards to forwards. It's the reason you can see him getting burned one on one quite easily... Edler has the same issue but he sometimes can make up for it with his reach..... Tanev is elite in this sense, he impresses me everytime in how fast he transitions.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

I attributed it to him following a more "chase the puck" mentality in the offensive zone, whereas in the defensive zone he's trying to maintain a defensive position (keeping himself between the attacking players and the net, etc.)

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
BhPTQM9.png

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
CASUAL kevin can be a nightmare in his defensive zone. offensively he's very good. he has poor mobility maybe because of his ankle being sliced a couple of years ago? iunno. but i think he should be tried on forward.

NonBruinHatingCanuck

May 28, 2011

don't know if many of you have seen this video a different aspect of Kevin and what he's like as a person... Great Video on KB talking about Rypien

Last edited by a moderator:

ferroid

Mar 22, 2010
CASUAL kevin can be a nightmare in his defensive zone. offensively he's very good. he has poor mobility maybe because of his ankle being sliced a couple of years ago? iunno. but i think he should be tried on forward.

I feel like this is a post carefully crafted to get the biggest rise of out dedicated HFers.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
Whats funny to me is when other teams fans think about the Canucks is they think about Bieksa in the top 5 or so.

We under rate the dude. He is ****ing awesome.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Bieksa rules. 6 years ago you couldn't get me to say that with a gun pointed to my head.

He really has come around, and deserves every heaping of praise he's gotten this year (well maybe not the Don Cherry endorsement but his gist was welcome).

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Whats funny to me is when other teams fans think about the Canucks is they think about Bieksa in the top 5 or so.

We under rate the dude. He is ****ing awesome.

They remember Bieksa because of his pinching, scoring, fighting and being sneaky mean. High visibility player.

Fans remember the flashy plays because we/they don't watch other teams as closely. Willie Mitchell slipped under the radar for that reason, LA fans were surprised he was as good as he was. Garrison "sucked" because he stopped scoring, they weren't watching his steady low event play.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
And this people, is why we are not trading Bieksa. You just have to accept the good with the bad because when he's on, he's bloody on. Still cannot believe he is leading in +/-

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Bieksa always irked me because he reminded me so much of Jovo.

You love him when he's on, can't stand him when he is not.

I think you either love or hate these types of guys just because of the way they play.

While other guys like Hamhuis just play more steady/quietly and go about their business; people don't really sway much from one side to the other.

Bieksa has obviously matured from his earlier days as far as being more consistent and a better defensive player.

Hopefully he can keep it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad