The Star: Kessel wants to finish his career in Toronto - agent

• Thread starter Penalty Kill Icing*
  • Start date

Alflives*

To me it's not how much Nonis will offer, is does he want to stay. He's getting a good raise his next contract regardless where ever he lands.

I hear what you're saying, but at what price does Kessel's cost outweigh his value to the team? Is he worth 5.5 over 8 years?

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
I hear what you're saying, but at what price does Kessel's cost outweigh his value to the team? Is he worth 5.5 over 8 years?

He could probably get more than that on the open market.

You have to take the value of the assets available for him too. Would you rather "overpay" him by a million or lose him for a package of late picks and a mid level prospect or 2?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Excellent question, the obvious comparable Arnott will use is the Parise deal, if he is looking for something similar, I see a problem, I hate 10+ year deals.

rwb

Jan 28, 2013
Excellent question, the obvious comparable Arnott will use is the Parise deal, if he is looking for something similar, I see a problem, I hate 10+ year deals.

Haha good thing we just got a new CBA then, right?

Kessel at 5.5 over 8 years would be a bargain. That's only...what 250k? more than he is making now? Sign me up.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Haha good thing we just got a new CBA then, right?

Kessel at 5.5 over 8 years would be a bargain. That's only...what 250k? more than he is making now? Sign me up.

Yeah good point, that was before the new CBA. 8 year max contracts.

Let's offer him 8 years for 56, see if that does the trick.

He's got to make more than Grabo.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Yeah good point, that was before the new CBA. 8 year max contracts.

Let's offer him 8 years for 56, see if that does the trick.

He's got to make more than Grabo.

He's gonna want much more then that.

Better start to believe more like

68m over 8,,,,,8.5m cash per.

Parise/Suter will be paid 80m cash over their frist 8,,,,10m cash per. Weber is 11.5m cash per over the first 8.

The cap only dropped by what 6m?

Don't think for a second that it's going to be the star players that sacrifice for that, their agents will force it on the 2nd and 3rd tier players, the stars will always get paid.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
The greatest fear would have to be signing him for 6 yr/ 8 per or a 10 yr/ 7.5 per type deal. Unless the cap arbitrarily increases, I just don't think he's worth it.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
The greatest fear would have to be signing him for 6 yr/ 8 per or a 10 yr/ 7.5 per type deal. Unless the cap arbitrarily increases, I just don't think he's worth it.

His agent will demand from MLSE the advantage that they hold and thats the extra (8th) year of term. Of that you should never doubt.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
players who finish top 6 in scoring and are in the top 5 for goals scored in the last 4 years are worth a lot more than 5.5 :laugh:

he should get 7.5mil and id be totally fine with that. theres just no other way we are going to replace his type of production in the immediate future.

all this intangibles and hustle stuff is crap. why do we want a guy with his speed and hands mucking in the corners and blocking shots? every elite team needs a pure sniper and Kessel is one of the best in the biz.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
players who finish top 6 in scoring and are in the top 5 for goals scored in the last 4 years are worth a lot more than 5.5 :laugh:

he should get 7.5mil and id be totally fine with that. theres just no other way we are going to replace his type of production in the immediate future.

all this intangibles and hustle stuff is crap. why do we want a guy with his speed and hands mucking in the corners and blocking shots? every elite team needs a pure sniper and Kessel is one of the best in the biz.

Your going to have to add atleast 1m per to that offer.

He will command 8.5m per over 8, of that i have no doubt. How it can be messaged to adjust for cap hit, is another issue tho.

But know this, he will demand 8.5m cash per worth, over 8 years.

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
Your going to have to add atleast 1m per to that offer.

He will command 8.5m per over 8, of that i have no doubt. How it can be messaged to adjust for cap hit, is another issue tho.

But know this, he will demand 8.5m cash per worth, over 8 years.

Highly unlikely.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
He will get more than Parise, that's for sure.
Parise, in a no-back diving world, would get 8.5 mill a year.
Make's me worried on what kind of money Kessel gets.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Highly unlikely.

OH?, look at his comparables around the league.

Parise/Suter 10m cash per over their first 8 years.

Weber 11.5m cash per over his first 8 years.

The cap only dropped by 6 million.

Who do you think the agents are going to demand feel the hit? The 2nd tier players or the stars?

8.5m cash per over the 8y still puts him 1.5m cash UNDER Parise/Suter and 3m cash per under Weber.

I'm not talking what I THINK his worth is to us, i'm telling you what his agents is going to demand and 8.5m per over 8 is the lowest i could see them going.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
He will get more than Parise, that's for sure.
Parise, in a no-back diving world, would get 8.5 mill a year.
Make's me worried on what kind of money Kessel gets.

No way he gets more then Parise, Parise is pulling in 80m cash in his first 8 years.

Stop confusing cap hit with what they are pulling in cash wise in their first 8 years.

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
OH, look at his comparable around the league.

Parise/Suter 10m cash per over their first 8 years.

Weber 11.5m cash per over his forst 8 years.

The cap only dropped by 6 million.

Who do you think the agents are going to demand feel the hit? The 2nd tier players or the stars?

8.5m cash per over the 8y still puts him 1.5m cash UNDER Parise/Suter and 3m cash per under Weber.

I'm not talking what I THINK his worth is to us, i'm telling you what his agents is going to demand and 8.5m per over 8 is the lowest i could see them going.

10 mill Cash is irrelevant. I don't care if Kessel gets 20 million cash the first few years, it's the cap hit that matters.

Parise's cap hit is 7.5, Suter's is 7.5, Weber's is 7.8.

Top defenseman make more than top forwards, so let's leave Weber and Suter out of this. Parise, arguably a better player than Kessel is only at 7.5.

What basis does Kessel's agent have to demand a salary that would make him the 4th highest paid player in the league?

Last edited:

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
10 mill Cash is irrelevant. I don't care if Kessel gets 20 million cash the first few years, it's the cap hit that matters.

Top defenseman make more than top forwards, so let's leave Weber and Suter out of this. Parise, arguably a better player than Kessel is only at 7.5.

What basis does Kessel's agent have to demand a salary that would make the 4th highest paid player in the league?

his top 4 goal totals ?

how many players have outscored Kessel since he came to the Leafs?

he has 135 goals in the last 4 seasons.

Malkin : 128
Gaborik: 115
Crosby: 124
Nash: 135
Sedin: 131

pretty sure only Ovechkin, Stamkos and a couple others eclipse him.

thats pretty good company.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

What basis does Kessel's agent have to demand a salary that would make the 4th highest paid player in the league?

You mean the 4th highest cap hit, don't you?

The cap hit is what matters to the team not the player and agent.

Can the numbers be shifted so the cap hit is below 8.5m per?, i think so.

What you fail to realize is that teams have been working the systems to reduce the cap hit but the star players are still getting the big cash.

That ability to "hide it" has been lessoned to a great degree but don't think for a second that matters to the star players and their agents.

Another example Koval is pulling in 9m cash per over his first 8 and that was signed in 200/11 season

Last edited:

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
You mean the 4th highest cap hit, don't you?

Yes, which is what it comes down to in the end. And which would be used as the player comparable by agents and GM's, not how much cash in certain years of a multi-year deal different players get.

The cap hit is what matters to the team not the player and agent.

Can the numbers be shifted so the cap hit is below 8.5m per?, i think so.

Uh, they better be. It would be ridiculous for any team to commit the 4th highest cap hit in the league to Kessel. And I love Kessel.

What you fail to realize is that teams have been working the systems to reduce the cap hit but the star players are still getting the big cash.

That ability to "hide it" has been lessoned to a great degree but don't think for a second that matters to the star players and their agents.

Oh, I realize that just fine. It was easy to do that with the God awful 15+ year retirement contracts.

Players aren't gonna be getting 10 million cash on multiple years of their deal anymore because the contract length was reduced to 8 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad