The Star: Kessel wants to finish his career in Toronto - agent

• Thread starter Penalty Kill Icing*
  • Start date

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I heard the interview this morning live on the Fan 590 and this is not what Arnott said. Headline is misleading.

member 147413

Nice, now I'm against trading him, all I wanted was for him to want to be here.

edit: I never read the article, I'm still too lazy to read it.

NewFang

Aug 4, 2008
Great to read that, but then again what do we expect him to say? Money will obviously be a big factor, and I've always had the feeling that Phil would prefer a more low key city.

We'll find out soon enough.

My Sweet Shadow

Sep 5, 2008
Sioux Lookout, ON
Hopefully we can lock him up. He's not a guy who's going to carry the team on his back night-in/night-out, but he's one of most skilled guys in the league. If we can keep building up the team around him into a competitor, then he should thrive.

SteveV*

I noted the agent said they can't "officially" talk about an extension twice, and it was said in a telling way. I took from this clarification that perhaps some initial feel out has already taken place.

I've actually never worried about Phil wanting to leave Toronto, just a bunch of baseless speculation and irresponsible media.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Arnott said exactly what an Agent should say, again I heard the complete interview with Brady today, there was no absolute he would stay here. He also implied Kessel wants to win, so Arnott left that out there....So if Leafs show no signs close to being a contender, Arnott left an out there with that statement.

NewFang

Aug 4, 2008
Kessel is on pace for 12 goals over an 82 game schedule.

I'd do $2M over 5 years. Or $1.5 over 8. Fair?

DaveT83*

Trade him - stop the insanity of trying to rebuild a team around Phil Kessel.

Felstead

Boss Status
Feb 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Trade him - stop the insanity of trying to rebuild a team around Phil Kessel.
We get it, your all for trading him as you have stated numerous times in the past.

Im all for keeping Phil, one of the great RW'ers in the league.

Lets meet him halfway though, sign him and acquire that #1 C and see what he can do with a good talent.

NewFang

Aug 4, 2008
Perhaps saddest of all, I bet you think that's clever or something.:amazed:

If making a point about his performance and that it will impact his next contract is clever, sure. If you choose to take everything literally , that's not very clever.

SteveV*

If making a point about his performance and that it will impact his next contract is clever, sure. If you choose to take everything literally , that's not very clever.

Okay, get out your calculator and project what a almost point a game forward gets paid, since we using this season as benchmark. Let us know Albert.

DaveT83*

We get it, your all for trading him as you have stated numerous times in the past.

Im all for keeping Phil, one of the great RW'ers in the league.

Lets meet him halfway though, sign him and acquire that #1 C and see what he can do with a good talent.

Lets just trade him for a better RWer +++ lots of guys can make creative passes occassionally on the Powerplay.

Then we can draft a 1C if thats what the team neeeds - rather than what Phil Kessel the individual needs.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
He loves Toronto, and wants to WIN HERE. That's what can be reasonably taken from Arnott's statements.

Every player wants to win. That's simple. Phil has found a place to call home, made friends, and enjoys his work in the community, which is good, for a guy as low key as He is. The fact of the matter, is that he wants this organization to go in a winning direction (which is starting to take shape).

You get the sense, as someone has posted before, that initial feelers have been put out, and thus far, things look positive.

Let's get this guy signed when we can, and in the meantime, continue to push forward.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Good, goals haven't come for him so far this season but points are there and he's improving his defensive game (even doing some dirty work).

My Sweet Shadow

Sep 5, 2008
Sioux Lookout, ON
Hopefully, it's somewhere in the $6-6.5M range. On the free market, he could probably get $7.5M or so (similar to Parise or Gaborik), so here's hoping we can have a great year this year and convince him to take somewhat of a hometown discount. ;)

NewFang

Aug 4, 2008
Okay, get out your calculator and project what a point a game forward gets paid, since we using this season as benchmark. Let us know Albert.

Listen dude with the Kessel avatar. Take a step back. Breathe. Relax. Insulting people on the internet is not going to make you whole.

Good now?

Kessel needs to score more goals if he wants a big pay raise. Im gonna stick with that.

dcervi*

trade him now, he wants to win. Leafs wont be a contender for many years :sarcasm:

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Listen dude with the Kessel avatar. Take a step back. Breathe. Relax. Insulting people on the internet is not going to make you whole.

Good now?

Kessel needs to score more goals if he wants a big pay raise. Im gonna stick with that.

Does Thornton get paid for goals? Henrik Sedin?

Guys can put up 65+ assists and get paid too.

The good thing, is for Phil to slump a little, and get the scoring from everywhere, that way it created a middle ground that isn't such a high number, to negotiate to.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00