The Star: Kessel wants to finish his career in Toronto - agent

• Thread starter Penalty Kill Icing*
  • Start date

anderson3133

Apr 14, 2010
Kitchener
I hate the Bruins, but realize Lucic's value to any team goes beyond point totals. (Although he does generate offense too.) I see only a couple of players like him in the league. Players with his skill-set are very hard to get.

Lucic is a hell of a player, that goes without saying. However, you can't easily quantify Lucic's ability to help a team win a game, that's what my point was.

Alflives*

Lucic is a hell of a player, that goes without saying. However, you can't easily quantify Lucic's ability to help a team win a game, that's what my point was.

Agreed. His value is hard to measure. It's nice to see the Leafs now have players who can stand up to him, even though they don't play much of role other than being tough.

Alflives*

Aki and that old skeleton Lumme...the tandem that got the Leafs to the conference finals.

I thought Lumme was a Canuck? I think another poster qualified you as a troll. Did he mean the verb or the noun? I think the latter.

Aki Berg

Jul 3, 2005
Aki-ville
I thought Lumme was a Canuck? I think another poster qualified you as a troll. Did he mean the verb or the noun? I think the latter.

Aki carried Lumme on Aki's back for a season and a half for the Leafs. Lumme made a name for himself off Aki's blood, sweat and tears.

Aki Berg

Jul 3, 2005
Aki-ville

Troll? Look at this poster's start date.

This poster is beginning to think you might be trolling. alflives...if that's your real name.

Aki Berg

Jul 3, 2005
Aki-ville
aki berg

Attachments

• Aki+Berg.jpg
    Aki+Berg.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 5

Aki Berg

Jul 3, 2005
Aki-ville
You mean Barkov is better than Aki, or shall we say his somwhere between Kessel and Berg?

Different positions.

If Barkov was a #6 dman, we could talk.

But yes both are fearless, gritty, and ooze leadership.

Edit: It's too bad leadership doesn't show up on the scoresheet every night.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I'll admit I hate Phil Kessel - rather I loathe him.

You don't say!? Anyone with half a brain could have gathered that from your posts. So never mind, that's only about a quarter of the posters in here.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
5 year, $6m.

Dude, stop living in 2005. You don't have to be the best to get 7-8 anymore.

That's an insult.

I think that is pretty good numbers actually. He is our most dangerous player with the puck but sadly also with out the puck. I do admit he show improvements and are buying in to the system but they said similar things in Boston as well. Go and do a search on the Bruins board for Kessel discussions from his time there. They talk about how weak defensively he is and how soft his play is and then there is several others who comes to his rescue and point out that he is beginning to buy in to the system, that he looks more committed etc. The same discussions we have had here since day 1. But who knows, perhaps he finds the perfect balance between playing a team oriented system and also cheat just enough to keep being one of the leagues best snippers, other players have done it so I dont rule out he can do it as well.

I think he likes playing in Toronto and enjoy his teammates and also that he is well liked among them. So in that regard I do think he have become a lot more mature. But then the demands, realistically, have not been very high during his tenure. We have been a team hoping to make the playoffs but no one demand the team to make it and even less so win it all. How playing under Carlyle effects his goal scoring long term is just as much an issue for him as it is for us seeing as scoring goals is what defines him as a player.

He have some characteristics that is pointed out as weaknesses but that just as well be a strength. When he dropped during his draft year he was often asked how it felt going from #1 to almost out of the top 5 and he said, honestly, that he did not care. After the All star draft circus he made the same comments, and I believe him. The same way that he and others have said that he actually is not very affected by the media, even in Toronto I think that the personality he posses would do well in pressured situations like a playoff series.

But I still think that a 5 year deal is good. No need to commit any longer to a goalscoring winger whose game is purely based around his offensive production and Kessel would be one of the exception if he keeps scoring at the level he have done for more then 10 years in the NHL.

$6m per year, well that can of course be a bit higher, depending on the cap, who else we need to resign etc. But since what he brings is goals and assists but noting else than $6m is fair imo.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Troll? Look at this poster's start date.

This poster is beginning to think you might be trolling. alflives...if that's your real name.

I miss Aki Berg. People like to crap on him but I think he was just over-used.

Jyrki Lumme was slow when he played for the Leafs and it cost him.

That said, I gotta say this post of yours made me think you are a hanar from Mass Effect. Is this true? /nerd

Anyway enough with the OT stuff: Phil Kessel is an excellent player. He isn't the meanest or the most proficient defensive player, but he puts up points. He is by far Toronto's best offensive player and that is worth money in this league. If you think Kessel isn't worth a big contract then IMO you're buying into too much anti-Leaf propaganda on these boards.

I hope Kessel sticks around. We'd better not lose him for nothing though....that would be devastating.

DaveT83*

You don't say!? Anyone with half a brain could have gathered that from your posts. So never mind, that's only about a quarter of the posters in here.

Thanks - For what its worth:

I also loathed Ron Wilson - when 70% of these forums adored him and his extension
I also hated Brian Burke - when 80% of the posters wanted him extended (before he was fired!)
I also have predicted that this team was not good enough to make the post-season every year for last 8. (8for8) - While majority on here proclaim saeson after season that its all but a sure thing.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Phil Kessel holds negative value to this hockey club. It will take too much additonal resources to turn him into a player that contributes significantly to the teams overall win/loss record - than from a player who's individual stats are excellent.

Rarely am I wrong - seems like majority of you are almost always. Thankfully Dave Nonis and company owe no allegiance to Phil the Thrill Kessel and all appear to be well versed in 'Common Sense" so I am confident they will do the right thing and trade him - thus putting this franchise back on track to compete for a Stanley Cup. And endign one of the worst eras in Maple Leaf history.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
If Kessel wants to stay one would think he would sign at a non outrageous number. Also My guess is anywhere between 5 to 7 years at a cap hit of 6.6 or 6.8 million +/- 200k. If he wanted to bolt though 7 up would be my guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad