Kessel to get 8yr/$64M deal

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
Look at it this way.

For what they pay for Kessel and Clarkson (8.0 + 5.25 = 13.25)

We get basically get Bergeron and Chara(6.5 + 6.991.667 = 13.491667) for roughly the same price.

I know who I would rather have.

The Bergeron deal is a really good one, the Chara one is dated. If you were to redo that deal in today's market his value is much higher than 7.5m if he was still in his early 30s. Kessel's deal will likely end up the same and he will still only be in his early/mid 30s when it is ending. A better comparison would be Bergeron and Lucic to Kessel and Lupul or JVR.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I don't like Rask's 8 years either and said it when he was signed. I agree should be money or term for young guys not both.

If I had to choose one of them though I would take Rask at 8 years over Kessel at 8 years only because I believe Goalie means more then winger overall. You can build around a goalie with the potential of Rask you can't build around a guy with Kessels game. While he is a great goal scorer his all around game is not something you can build around in my opinion.

I see where you're coming from but generally speaking I trust the consistency of a star forward over a star goalie for 8 years.

I understand your reasoning though. It's just a matter of preference.

Either way, from my non-bruins/non-leafs perspective, both are good players to build around but neither can do it on their own. To be fair, few players can.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I see where you're coming from but generally speaking I trust the consistency of a star forward over a star goalie for 8 years.

Either way, from my non-bruins/non-leafs perspective, both are good players to build around but neither can do it on their own. To be fair, few players can.

Goes both ways but you don't have to look further then Dipietro. :laugh: Ask Milbury.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA

fair enough and I understand your point as well and at this point Kessel has done it longer so you can use that as a deciding factor as well.

I would still go with Rask as again if you can find that next great goalie he can carry your team for years much more than a scoring winger can in my opinion. so the gamble is more worth it on the goalie for me.

either way I hate long term contracts.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Pavel Bure
Teemu Selanne*
Bret Hull*
Alexander Mogilny
Alex Ovechkin
Alex Kovalchuk
Rick Nash
Paul Kariya

The list is long of wingers who enter the league dubbed as "Franchise studs" but don't ever carry a team to a Cup. I'm still a believer in spending the money on Goaltending/ Dmen/ Centers.

*Won further in their careers when they were considered past their prime & were no longer cornerstones of their franchises.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Pavel Bure
Teemu Selanne*
Bret Hull*
Alexander Mogilny
Alex Ovechkin
Alex Kovalchuk
Rick Nash
Paul Kariya

The list is long of wingers who enter the league dubbed as "Franchise studs" but don't ever carry a team to a Cup. I'm still a believer in spending the money on Goaltending/ Dmen/ Centers.

*Won further in their careers when they were considered past their prime & were no longer cornerstones of their franchises.

Interesting.

bruinsfan001

Apr 2, 2010
Toronto payed about 2 million/year more than they should have. I wouldn't pay Kessel close to what Crosby and Malkin make those players are at another level. I'll go on to say I think those players are overpaid as well, they're worth around 7 IMO.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Kessel makes 1.5 more than Bergy???....

Glad we have the gm we do, gets guys at reasonable rate.

Bergy gets 7-7.5 on open market... Don't think many teams would throw 64 million at PK

Makes me happy Chia doesn't overpay but pays well in most cases.

I do think 8 million is a lot for him and I am not super thrilled with the Rask deal but can see in 3 or 4 years that this could easily be affordable as far as the cap goes.

Kessel is a good player for Toronto-and if they are going to throw huge dollars at a player Kessel is probably a good choice.

bruinsfan001

Apr 2, 2010
man the leafs sure are fond of handing out huge contracts....sheesh. 8 mill?!?!?

I would of said take 6.5 or you can walk. Your a good player but your not worth that type of contract (there are few that are) and we can't afford it with the reduced cap.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
Pavel Bure
Teemu Selanne*
Bret Hull*
Alexander Mogilny
Alex Ovechkin
Alex Kovalchuk
Rick Nash
Paul Kariya

Pat Kane? Jagr? Fedorov? Perry? St. Louis?

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA

all you name had other superstarts along side them where the ones you quoted were supposed to be the go to guy to carry the team.

Kane - had Towes
Jagr - had Lemieux
Fedorov - had Yzerman
St. Louis - had Lecavalier

In most of the above the guy on the right was more important then the guy on the left.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
all you name had other superstarts along side them where the ones you quoted were supposed to be the go to guy to carry the team.

Kane - had Towes
Jagr - had Lemieux
Fedorov - had Yzerman
St. Louis - had Lecavalier

In most of the above the guy on the right was more important then the guy on the left.

forgot you listed Perry as well.

His cup was more due to the fact they had Pronger and Niedermayer on D more so then anyone playing wing being the go to guy.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

Fedorov was a center was he not? and Jagr did really well early on with Lemiuex but never managed to lead one of "his" teams to a cup.

Anyway I sort of agree with the sentiment that you rarely see a team built around a franchise winger manage to go all the way. The common denominator with the teams that do go all the way seems to be lots of depth not just at center but at every position. But then a lot of those teams didn't have particularly impressive goaltending (Osgood/Vernon, Niemi?) so that puts a wrinkle into the argument if we're talking Rask vs. Kessel haha.

RedBruin

Jul 4, 2010
Germany
I guess under the new CBA where you can't add those fake 1m years at the end of a long-term contract this seems like a fair number, maybe a tad too high, nothing outrageous though.
On the other hand, I'm not sure you want to build a contender around a player like Kessel, regardless of whether he deserves that type of money or not. Might be just me, I don't value wingers that highly.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I guess under the new CBA where you can't add those fake 1m years at the end of a long-term contract this seems like a fair number, maybe a tad too high, nothing outrageous though.
On the other hand, I'm not sure you want to build a contender around a player like Kessel, regardless of whether he deserves that type of money or not. Might be just me, I don't value wingers that highly.

For what it's worth, I think they've built the right kind of team around him to be successful. Lots of grit and guys who play their roles well. Bolland and Raymond seem like good additions. Phil gets to be the guy who goes out and just worries about getting those goals and I think Kadri will develop into a very good center for him. When push comes to shove will it be enough? I dunno. They kind of remind me of the 2004 flames in that they were also built around their star sniper and filled out the roster with a lot of sandpaper. The difference is that the flames had stellar goaltending. I think if the Leafs ever get that they'll be dangerous.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I can readily admit that Thrill is a "very good" player, but he's not a "great" one, and while it may be the norm in a few years, I don't give a guy 8 per now unless he's great.

Guys that have been as consistent, as good/better than PK and are in some cases significantly cheaper:

Couture (also a C): $6 mil

Carter: (also a C): $5.3 mil

Ryan: $5.1 mil

Kane: $6.3 mil

Neal: $5 mil

BudMovin*

Glad they spent 12.5 a year on him and his boy Bozak to keep Philly Cheesesteak happy.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
aaaaaand there's the fat jokes.

way to go guys you just insulted the conditioning of a guy who is more successful in his chosen field and in better physical condition than any of you will ever be. And the best part is that your jokes are 100% original!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad