Kessel to get 8yr/$64M deal

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
So... What's the point though?

Perspective.

Although a lot of people thought the Bruins were crazy when they signed Savard and Chara at that time too.

Maybe overall point being, sometimes one has to overspend a little bit to get your franchise to where it needs to be. To get to the point where you don't have to make decisions like that. Look at the Blackhawks when they signed Brian Campbell and Cristobal Huet to big contracts that one season... May not have been good value, but it went a long way to promoting a winning ambition and culture in Chicago.

THE ARS*

Good for you, Phil.:handclap:

BTW, if anyone is in Connecticut, can you swing by and tell Barry Melrose there are not 80 games in a season and the Ross trophy is not for the regular season goal leader?

He keeps saying these things and he's making me crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ron Quixote

Bring all the lovers to the fold...
Feb 15, 2007
The 'Ville - Bullitt County
Good for you, Phil.:handclap:

BTW, if anyone is in Connecticut, can you swing by and tell Barry Melrose there are not 80 games in a season and the Ross trophy is not for the regular season goal leader?

He keeps saying these things and he's making me crazy.
I'm in CT, where are you? I'll swing by and smack you for actually listening to that tool.

*Bonus Smaxâ„¢ if you drive a car with a dog in your lap...

member 96824

I'm in CT, where are you? I'll swing by and smack you for actually listening to that tool.

*Bonus Smaxâ„¢ if you drive a car with a dog in your lap...

Better hope you don't run into a light or THE ARS can rest assured his face is safe.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Look at it this way.

For what they pay for Kessel and Clarkson (8.0 + 5.25 = 13.25)

We get basically get Bergeron and Chara(6.5 + 6.991.667 = 13.491667) for roughly the same price.

I know who I would rather have.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Look at it this way.

We get basically get Bergeron and Chara(6.5 + 6.991.667 = 13.491667) for roughly the same price.

The thing is that you'll still have a 40 year old Chara at 7 M.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Look at it this way.

Not exactly a fair comparison, cuz you're taking two stars on Boston and using one of the worst contracts in the league from the Toronto side. Why not use Kessel and Kadri, or Gardiner or something?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
not a fan of 8 year deals.

good for PK cashing in.

I wouldn't want that contract on the Bruins and wouldn't want my manger building a team around that type of player but again good for him.

As opposed to Rask's 8 year 7 mil per?

Honestly, seems as if some young guys are getting both term and money. You'd think there would be a discount in one or the other.

Kessel is a great player but 7-7.5 would've been more cap friendly. Oh well.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
As opposed to Rask's 8 year 7 mil per?

Honestly, seems as if some young guys are getting both term and money. You'd think there would be a discount in one or the other.

Kessel is a great player but 7-7.5 would've been more cap friendly. Oh well.

I don't like Rask's 8 years either and said it when he was signed. I agree should be money or term for young guys not both.

If I had to choose one of them though I would take Rask at 8 years over Kessel at 8 years only because I believe Goalie means more then winger overall. You can build around a goalie with the potential of Rask you can't build around a guy with Kessels game. While he is a great goal scorer his all around game is not something you can build around in my opinion.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
he's a damn good player but 8 is insane. Like others have said, though, this is a forward-thinking deal...it will be more reasonable as the cap rises.

But really it makes Bergeron's 6.5 look pretty great in comparison. Obviously comparing those 2 as players is like apples to oranges, but I'll take Bergeron at that money any day.

I continue to be impressed with Kessel though. He has proved a lot of people wrong. To produce that consistently with Tyler Bozak as his center is remarkable. If he had the supporting cast of someone like Stamkos I'd argue that Kessel could be a 50 goal scorer as well. And the way he rose to the occasion in the playoffs this year spoke volumes about his character IMO.

inb4 tired fat jokes (b/c apparently this board is full of people in better shape than a world class athlete)

Leaf fan coming in peace, I am surprised by the honesty most of your members have shown about Kessel, I just wanted to post and say I agree with pretty much everything that you say also I think the 8 is even justifiable now after watching Perry, Giroux, Nash, others sign similar deals. Its just the going price throughout the league now wait until Kane and Toews are up for an extension, I am thinking north of 9 mil. Anyways much respect for most of you guys being true hockey fans and open minded about a much debated player in the recent history of both our teams. Good luck this season, but not too much lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad