Kessel to get 8yr/$64M deal

Hawgood_38

Season Tix since '97
Sep 3, 2002
Pumping tires
Visit site
Per multiple sources on Twitter. Kessel to get 8 year/$64M deal.

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 23m
Phil Kessel's b-day is tomorrow. But his gift comes a day early, 8 yr deal with $8 M AAV. Both sides putting finishing touches on deal now

WOW!!!!

I liked Phil as a player here, in fact, got one of his jerseys. Glad he can cash in in Toronto, but that's a lot of dough!

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
He is a good player-not sure if he is 8 million per good but he is a player who I think will walk for money and doesn't take home town discounts.

He fits well in Toronto and he may be pudgy but he can fly on the ice-sometimes his speed amazes me.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
I think he still had another year at least, so it prolly doesn't kick in until next year.

Prolly one of those deals that seems like a lot now, but might be tolerable in a few years, as the cap goes up.

Does seem like a lot, though!

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
He's a good player. He isn't an 8 year - 8 million per year player though. But don't criticize the leafs otherwise you're a "hater".

Given that the contract is 8 years long a figure in the 6-7 million dollar range would be more of Kessel's value.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
People on this board don't want to admit the guy is good. Silly really. He got a contract that was about right for a player with his skill set. Debase the guy all you want, it doesn't change the fact that he's been one of the most consistent goal scorers in the league since he's come into it.

member 96824

People on this board don't want to admit the guy is good. Silly really. He got a contract that was about right for a player with his skill set. Debase the guy all you want, it doesn't change the fact that he's been one of the most consistent goal scorers in the league since he's come into it.

I think 8 is too much RIGHT NOW...but in 4-5 years when the cap is way up...it'll be better.

Kessel is a hell of a hockey player, but he's not Giroux.

norwoodmustang

Jul 29, 2005
Norwood, MA USA
I think what makes or breaks this deal is what the limited no trade clause says. Does he get to name the teams? Are they already named? Is it based on teams who have made the playoffs x years in a row? To me, in a long deal, I want a way to move that contract if I have to do it in 5 or 6 years.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I think 8 is too much RIGHT NOW...but in 4-5 years when the cap is way up...it'll be better.

Kessel is a hell of a hockey player, but he's not Giroux.

People here laughed when he signed his last deal and said he was overpaid. A year into that deal and he was a bargain. I expect the same to happen on this deal. Give it a couple of years and see what consistent goal scorers are getting then.

Habs killer

Jan 31, 2007
somerville
the guy was a legit threat last year in the playoffs and scared the bejesus out of me every time he went down the boards with the puck. he made our D look like turnstiles.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
I miss watching him and Savard play together. I can only imagine what that line would produce now with how much Phil and Lucic have progressed.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
he's a damn good player but 8 is insane. Like others have said, though, this is a forward-thinking deal...it will be more reasonable as the cap rises.

But really it makes Bergeron's 6.5 look pretty great in comparison. Obviously comparing those 2 as players is like apples to oranges, but I'll take Bergeron at that money any day.

I continue to be impressed with Kessel though. He has proved a lot of people wrong. To produce that consistently with Tyler Bozak as his center is remarkable. If he had the supporting cast of someone like Stamkos I'd argue that Kessel could be a 50 goal scorer as well. And the way he rose to the occasion in the playoffs this year spoke volumes about his character IMO.

inb4 tired fat jokes (b/c apparently this board is full of people in better shape than a world class athlete)

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour

Seems to me almost everybody in this thread so far has said he's a goodplayer.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
What does everyone think a 30+ goal PPG player is worth? Everyone knows the cap is expected to go up, 8 million 2 years down the road might be a bargain.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
Kessel makes 1.5 more than Bergy???....

Glad we have the gm we do, gets guys at reasonable rate.

Bergy gets 7-7.5 on open market... Don't think many teams would throw 64 million at PK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad