Kessel to get 8yr/$64M deal

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
When you shell out 8M a year for a guy you expect him to play all parts of the game, IMO anyway.

There's not many wingers I'd pay that kind of money for in the first place though.

or at the least you expect them to TRY and play all parts of the game when they are the higest paid on your team by far.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Anaheim. Andy Macdonald was #1C. Getzlaf was still young and unproven.

As I said before in this thread this might be the closet to not having a #1 center to win the cup but a ton of the cup had to do with the fact they had two #1 D on that team in Pronger and Niedermayer. the two of them make up for the lack of a true proven #1 center.

Having two guys on D of that level is very very very rare.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
You don't pay a winger 8 M to play defensive hockey anyway.

No, you pay a winger $8m to score goals at a pace that Gaborik or Nash did at Kessels' age. Kessel is a great shooter with speed, but he's a glorified 30 goal scorer. If he weren't playing in Toronto & say the St.Louis Blues, scoring his 30 to 35 goals every season, would most fans even notice? We fans are force fed Kessel because he plays in the hockey mecca in Ontario. Imo, he's a one dimensional 30 goal scorer. What else does he bring to the table?? He withers under pressure & physicality.. He's going to be making almost double what Loui Ericksson is making, more than Bergeron, more than Chara!

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
or at the least you expect them to TRY and play all parts of the game when they are the higest paid on your team by far.

I watched the game last night and despite being on the ice for 2 goals early on, he looked like he was trying to do the little things in the 3rd. In the final minute and a half he made two good defensive plays, one of which would have been a surefire scoring chance by Briere if Phil hadn't stripped him of the puck. I do think he's trying, believe it or not. Will it last? I dunno

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
I watched the game last night and despite being on the ice for 2 goals early on, he looked like he was trying to do the little things in the 3rd. In the final minute and a half he made two good defensive plays, one of which would have been a surefire scoring chance by Briere if Phil hadn't stripped him of the puck. I do think he's trying, believe it or not. Will it last? I dunno

I didn't see the game so I take your word for it. I was just going on his history of effort in the D-zone.

If he would only try playing D even if he sucks at it at least try to do it for 60 mins a game then I can see the argument to pay him that kind of money for that long of time.

But for a guy that never got 40 and has been a minus player every year in the NHL except one. I just can't get on board saying he is worth that contract.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
No, you pay a winger $8m to score goals at a pace that Gaborik or Nash did at Kessels' age. Kessel is a great shooter with speed, but he's a glorified 30 goal scorer. If he weren't playing in Toronto & say the St.Louis Blues, scoring his 30 to 35 goals every season, would most fans even notice? We fans are force fed Kessel because he plays in the hockey mecca in Ontario. Imo, he's a one dimensional 30 goal scorer. What else does he bring to the table?? He withers under pressure & physicality.. He's going to be making almost double what Loui Ericksson is making, more than Bergeron, more than Chara!

How you can say this after watching us play 7 playoff games against him is beyond me. As for the goal scoring, you know Rick Nash only ever scored 40 goals once, right?

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Goal Totals in Toronto:

Again, very good goal scorer, but not the best. He is now the games highest paid winger. I'd expect a minimum of 40 goals at that price, considering he does nothing else on the ice. At $6m, he'd be a great asset to have, especially on a line with a franchise $8m centerman. Toronto is at the cap limit, & their top 2 paid guys are Kessel & Phaneuf? Sorry, not a ton of optimism there if I were a Leaf fan.

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
People on this board don't want to admit the guy is good. Silly really. He got a contract that was about right for a player with his skill set. Debase the guy all you want, it doesn't change the fact that he's been one of the most consistent goal scorers in the league since he's come into it.

Not really. In the past few seasons, yes.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Not really. In the past few seasons, yes.

omg, nitpick much? yeah he put up 11 and 19 when he was 18/19 years old. "In the past few seasons" = the last FIVE seasons. 30 goals 4 years in a row and easily on pace for over 30 again in the shortened season. Will almost certainly hit 30+ again this year and for the forseeable future. so yes...really.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Goal Totals in Toronto:

Again, very good goal scorer, but not the best. He is now the games highest paid winger. I'd expect a minimum of 40 goals at that price, considering he does nothing else on the ice. At $6m, he'd be a great asset to have, especially on a line with a franchise $8m centerman. Toronto is at the cap limit, & their top 2 paid guys are Kessel & Phaneuf? Sorry, not a ton of optimism there if I were a Leaf fan.

Not trying to argue anything other than him not being the highest paid winger. Ovechkin and Perry have him beat by a pretty good margin.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Goal Totals in Toronto:

lol what? first of all, right NOW he still makes 5.4. This contract doesn't kick in until next season. Second of all Ovechkin and Perry already make more than him and his new contract is only slightly higher than some of the other top wingers. Adjusted for cap inflation it's not that bad. I agree with others that I wouldn't want to see the Bruins give him that kind of money, but what choice did the Leafs have? It is fair market value, like it or not.

As for doing nothing else on the ice, he's a point per game player which is extremely hard to come by these days. He makes his teammates better (just ask Bozak and Lupul) and is an underrated playmaker. Yes his defensive game is pretty weak, but there is more to his offensive game than just scoring goals. This isn't the Kessel who had 36 goals and 20-something assists in Boston.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Kessel is a really good goal scorer who did not and does not fit in the Bruins system.

End of story.

the only year in his career he was a plus player was the year he had 36 goals and +23 with the Bruins.

With the leafs

30g and -8
32g and -20
37g and -10
20g and -3

I would say if he would have put in the effort the Bruins system is exactly what he needed to make him a great player not just a really good goal scorer.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
the only year in his career he was a plus player was the year he had 36 goals and +23 with the Bruins.

With the leafs

30g and -8
32g and -20
37g and -10
20g and -3

I would say if he would have put in the effort the Bruins system is exactly what he needed to make him a great player not just a really good goal scorer.

Again, which is why he does not fit in the Bruins system.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Again, which is why he does not fit in the Bruins system.

fair enough but he has been in the dog house in Toronto before as well when he went on a long scoring slump because he was not putting in the effort on the D side of the game.

I think effort needs to be part of any teams system.

and even without the effort there on the Bruins he was still a plus 23.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
omg, nitpick much? yeah he put up 11 and 19 when he was 18/19 years old. "In the past few seasons" = the last FIVE seasons. 30 goals 4 years in a row and easily on pace for over 30 again in the shortened season. Will almost certainly hit 30+ again this year and for the forseeable future. so yes...really.

It's not real difficult to understand.

The majority of the posters agree that Kessel is a very good player ($6 mil), just not a great player, and not a guy you would build a team around. I put him in the same category as a guy like James Neal. Real good scorer, but one dimenional, and not the type of player I give 8 mil per to. That is reserved for players that are multi-faceted. Guys that can score, lead, be physical, work on the PK as well as PP. In other words, players like Iginla, Dats, in their primes, guys like Crosby, Stamkos, Giroux, Malkin, Eric Staal now, or a guy like Bergeron, if he was testing FA.

In other words, elite players who can do more than just score.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
fair enough but he has been in the dog house in Toronto before as well when he went on a long scoring slump because he was not putting in the effort on the D side of the game.

I think effort needs to be part of any teams system.

and even without the effort there on the Bruins he was still a plus 23.

Toronto concentrates on defense? :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad