Confirmed with Link: Kessel signs Contract Extension. (8x8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
O'Neill who was ripping into Kessel and his new deal on the radio was pretty silent on TV with McKenzie and Reda.

I can't believe I'm going to have to listen to O'Neill all year. ****in' guy yells, insults and cries at everyone who disagrees with him, and is the biggest hypocrite of a hockey player I've ever heard. Keeps ranting about passion and desire to win, when he was one of the laziest, most selfish players I've ever watched on the Leafs.

EDDIE20*

Listening to Milbury on OTR is just making me facepalm repeatadly. Suggesting the Leafs gave Kessel way to much term and money and the deal is going to servely handcuff them in the future.

Suggesting that they shouldn't be afraid of a player like Kessel walking, and that signing him to this deal Nonis has put his job on the line. Saying he should have signed him ot a 5 year deal. Saying they need to be sure Kessel is an elite type of player who will come to play in a game 7 elimination type situation

If Nonis tells Kessel he's only getting 5 years and he's not getting 8 million type money then Kessel is gone at years end and Nonis will lose his job sooner than later

Milbury is a total idiot

Milbury giving GM advice? Now that's funny.:laugh:

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
some teams woulda offered more...wish he took abit more of a pay cut but glad hes locked up for his entire prime

Mindrust

Feb 28, 2013
Great signing. Really happy about this. Even happier knowing that Leafs haters are hating themselves after hearing this news. :D

Two things I believe swayed Kessel to stay here (among other things):

1) Bozak being resigned.

2) The brawl with the Sabres. Kessel realized he's with a team that will do anything for him, even sacrificing a big chunk of their salary if need be. If he was unsure of staying before this, there could be no doubt in his mind after. Thanks, Scott!

wreckless

Apr 27, 2010
vancouver
wait wow, kept reading and you guys all love this deal.

like, you actually love the 8M -and- the 8yr term.

8M is for elite superstars.. like the 4 or maybe 5 of them that exist in the game, if that.

IMO things are getting WAY out of hand.. why did we shut the league down again?

even my own team.. 4.5 for a nobody like Garrison? Side note, Raymond will be the best 1M you ever spent.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

8M is for elite superstars.. like the 4 or maybe 5 of them that exist in the game, if that.

even my own team.. 4.5 for a nobody like Garrison? Side note, Raymond will be the best 1M you ever spent.

Blame Anaheim. They signed Perry and Getzlaf to ridiculous deals, and that se the benchmark for even more. Kessel's deal is ridiculous, but if you compare it to the others signed, it's in the same ballpark.

wreckless

Apr 27, 2010
vancouver
Blame Anaheim. They signed Perry and Getzlaf to ridiculous deals, and that se the benchmark for even more. Kessel's deal is ridiculous, but if you compare it to the others signed, it's in the same ballpark.

true - this is nothing against the leafs, market value is market value. i just think things are getting out of hand when a top 25 (and IMO i'm being very generous) player gets that kinda money.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Crosby is a 10.6 player when you ignore the artifically lowering the cap by low meaningless calary years on the end. Do the same for Parise and he's >10

8 for Kessel is fine under this CBA, if we had the option to artifically lower the cap hit by adding on 4 meaningless years of 2 million salaries on the end like has been done in most deal in the previous CBA then Kessel's AAV would have been 6

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
I can't believe I'm going to have to listen to O'Neill all year. ****in' guy yells, insults and cries at everyone who disagrees with him, and is the biggest hypocrite of a hockey player I've ever heard. Keeps ranting about passion and desire to win, when he was one of the laziest, most selfish players I've ever watched on the Leafs.

Jeff openly admitted that he's bitter about scoring 40 goals and never hitting an $8 million payday....

Unfortunately for him, if he were to be playing today, he'd top out at 30 goals and 50 points and people would be throwing him under the bus for being an overpaid scrub 3rd liner.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
LOLOLOLOLOL.

you gotta be kidding me - how many 8M players do the Hawks/Kings/Bruins have again?

You might want to save this for when Toews and Kane come off their current contracts. And you may be surprised at those numbers.

The Bruins had a 6+ million player who has had a career high 67 points coming off his entry level contract. When the team thought that he would not live up to that contract, he was sent to Dallas.

The Kings have 0 players with Kessel's offensive production and game-breaking ability. They do have Doughty at 7.5 at the back. Quick will likely be a 7.5+ player.

Isn't Shea Weber getting something like 12 this year? How about the players with the 5 extra years at 1 million to bring their cap hits from 8+ down to the 6 range?

This was a great deal for both parties here.

KLM-Line

May 8, 2007
Munich
Solid deal. Kessel and his dedication in the shortened season pushed him into the 8mil yard. Thanks to both parties for sparing us what would have been an unbereable media gaga through the whole season.

KesselLooksLikeRadar*

It's too bad he didn't take a discount because of the Bozak contract; but still. It's really nice to have Kessel locked up at a good price for the extreme long term

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
this is a great contract, no more of a risk then any other teams and their long term contracts.

nothing wrong here, he's worth it at his current play when hes been trending upwards, opposed to some other players getting ridiculous deals when they are underperforming

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
so, let me get this straight... Stamkos makes 7.5/5yrs and Kessel 8/8yrs?

Kessel made 5.4/5yrs on his second contract, and will make 8/8yrs on his third contract

Stamkos makes 7.5/5yrs on his second contract, we'll see what Stamkos makes on his third contract

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Great signing. Really happy about this. Even happier knowing that Leafs haters are hating themselves after hearing this news. :D

Two things I believe swayed Kessel to stay here (among other things):

1) Bozak being resigned.

2) The brawl with the Sabres. Kessel realized he's with a team that will do anything for him, even sacrificing a big chunk of their salary if need be. If he was unsure of staying before this, there could be no doubt in his mind after. Thanks, Scott!

Good point, I completely agree that if Phil had any doubts on staying a leaf that those doubts diminished completely after the Scott fiasco, the whole team was willing to go to bat for kessel and he knows that

LoveRealHockey

Sep 13, 2010
8mm for Kessel

One thing to keep in mind is that we always talk in absolutes when it comes to salary. However, what agents and players really look at in the end is how much they pocket after taxes.

In Ontario, taxes are much higher then other provinces in Canada and most if not all the states in the US. So the tax bite is higher and impacts teams like the Maple Leafs who have to pay higher salary's to overcome the discrepancy and thus encourage their players to stay (or attract free agents).

So what Kessel pockets in Toronto at 8mm he could pocket the same for a lower salary in, say Edmonton, Pittsburg or Boston.

In that sense, the Leafs are penalized since the cap goes farther for teams like Boston and Edmonton and accounts for why they often have to overpay in absolute salary numbers to attract/retain their talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad