News Article: Kessel May Take Gary Roberts' Fitness Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He really can't turn it around in 2 months. Maybe a year.

Gary will have Kessel a lean mean donut crushing machine in 2mths. Gary fixes all, give to Gary and Gary will give back to you. WWGD etcetera etcetera etcetera.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I find this hard to believe for such a non caring, lazy, fat person like Phil. Until Steve Simmons writes an article proclaiming its authenticity, I shall not believe it
#tradephilnow

:sarcasm:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
He really can't turn it around in 2 months. Maybe a year.

First of all the article and Dreger both say:
Kessel may possibly return to Toronto in July to work with ex-Leaf Gary Roberts.

Kessel may possibly be traded.
Kessel may possibly be retained.

LeafsNation84

Mar 24, 2014
When has Kessel ever been Zach Parise?

Better yet just please give me a player in the NHL that has drastically changed the way they played their game and succeeded.

I don't think he was saying that kessel ever was zach parise just that parise is the kinda of player he'd like to see him play more like but on the topic of players who have had success changing the way they play I think the most recent example would be someone like dubnyk and the whole head trajectory training thing he was doing and ended up going 20-7-3 last season and just earned himself a 6 year contract i mean some of that could be attributed to not playing for the oilers but for a goalitender changing the way you track the puck is a drastic change in the way you approach the game

Metal God

Aug 12, 2010
Toronto
Hopefully this is true. No more looking like he should be named "Full Kessel".

Get in shape Phil so we can trade ya for more!

YearsintheWilderness

Jul 15, 2007
And he might start NOT being a gutless, self-serving, out-of-shape puke.

This 15-line piece of nothingness has people shrieking that everything is now different? :laugh:

The core is still in place. Nothing of significance has been done.

If none of the gutless turds have been shipped out before the season opens, then the rebuild has not begun.

The longer they wait, the longer it will take.

It's amazing the number of invincibly gullible, easily played people who lap up this kind of garbage.

Kessel is toxic in the current situation.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Coach Babcock is a fitness fanatic and he said he expects the Leafs team to be the best conditioned team in the NHL next year.

Looks like Phil got the memo that he had better shape up if he wants to play under Babcock in Toronto.

As one of the highest paid players in the game he should put in as much work in the off season in the gym to come in great shape to camp.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
If Kessel wasn't a multi millionaire I would feel kind of sorry for him. I think there is part of his cancer treatment and fallout that does effect his weight to some extent. He is an extremely talented shooter, but that's about it. He's not arrogant, just a a bit of a goofy simple awkward guy. If Babcock can squeeze some defensive responsibility out of him, and Roberts can transform him, all the better. I still want him traded though, he's the right player at the wrong time. His trade return should help the rebuild and I wish him all the best.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
As I expected, our fanbase seems to have yet again expressed what I call off-season amnesia. We all suddenly forget how disgraceful our players were a few months earlier and the 3 seasons prior to last year's embarrassment.

Some of you guys are buying into this way too much yet again, thinking Kessel will suddenly change just because Gary Roberts will yell at him.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
But the Kessel defenders were adamant that he was actually one of the most well conditioned players on the team. Why would he go to Roberts if what he has been doing was working? :sarcasm:

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
But the Kessel defenders were adamant that he was actually one of the most well conditioned players on the team. Why would he go to Roberts if what he has been doing was working? :sarcasm:

He could be going on the Roberts diet for all we know.

We literally have no idea about Kessel's conditioning except a few tabloids from a glorified blogger.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
First of all the article and Dreger both say:
Kessel may possibly return to Toronto in July to work with ex-Leaf Gary Roberts.

Kessel may possibly be traded.
Kessel may possibly be retained.

shocking how many people ignore this and are acting like he'll be on a flight into Toronto the 1st of July

also why would he need to up his fitness level when Damian Cox said he "heard" he was among the 3 fittest Leafs :amazed:

i do believe if we don't trade him he'll do a fly by with Roberts and half ass it for a week or so just to make it look like he's being serious about his conditioning .

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
He could be going on the Roberts diet for all we know.

We literally have no idea about Kessel's conditioning except a few tabloids from a glorified blogger.

We literally have some idea. We know he looks out of shape, and we know he dogs it late in the season.

ItWas41

Mar 10, 2015
Toronto
I don't think he was saying that kessel ever was zach parise just that parise is the kinda of player he'd like to see him play more like but on the topic of players who have had success changing the way they play I think the most recent example would be someone like dubnyk and the whole head trajectory training thing he was doing and ended up going 20-7-3 last season and just earned himself a 6 year contract i mean some of that could be attributed to not playing for the oilers but for a goalitender changing the way you track the puck is a drastic change in the way you approach the game

Alexander Ovechkin is another example.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
I don't really understand how people can knock our leading point scorer for not producing enough. At the end of the day skill has to play with skill. I'd be floating around like Phil too if my centre was Tyler Bozak for straight seasons and minimal change. It's not encouraging as a player to work hard for a team that doesn't invest in its infrastructure.

The only player that came close to Phil was JVR and he road his coat tails most of the season. Let's relax about a 61 point season in a down year of scoring. If you adjust full year points to scoring trends, he's right on his pace

Hotel Mario

Feb 4, 2013
Thunder Bay
As I expected, our fanbase seems to have yet again expressed what I call off-season amnesia. We all suddenly forget how disgraceful our players were a few months earlier and the 3 seasons prior to last year's embarrassment.

Some of you guys are buying into this way too much yet again, thinking Kessel will suddenly change just because Gary Roberts will yell at him.

Exactly, NOTHING is going to absolve Kessel for his actions last season, absoutely nothing. It's like a permanent **** stain on a pair of underwear, the best Phil can do is wash that underwear repeatedly to fade the stain away. Roberts is wash #1 and that stain still stinks with 99% potency. Moving him is still the better option unless there is crystal clear evidence (to management and Babcock) he is putting in a professional effort to the training and is a good human being.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
I wouldn't look into this more than Shanahan and Babcock telling him to get his stuff together or you're done. Same idea with the Kadri suspension last year, this is making an example of him and management putting their foot down and not letting players run this team anymore.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Phil will go somewhere and be the star that he is.

Fans will love him. A shame it didn't work out here. Hope we hold firm and get max value out of him he is a real talent.

EN4CER

Burn the Boats
Apr 8, 2013
Toronto
I find this hard to believe for such a non caring, lazy, fat person like Phil. Until Steve Simmons writes an article proclaiming its authenticity, I shall not believe it
#tradephilnow
:sarcasm:

Hahaha thanks for the chuckle. I was like, wtf is this guy saying?? Then Simmons came into it haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad