Kessel, JvR, and Kulemin in Sochi

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
It's pretty weird, but so used to cheering for Kessel/JVR.

Just going to pull for those guys when they are playing anyone but Canada. Against Canada I'll hope they take the night off :).

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Looking forward to watching the game on my PVR later .. Kessel and JVR on big ice has lethal potential

Glad to see our southern neighbours are starting to take notice of how good they actually are

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
where can i watch the highlights? i wanna see how kessel and JVR did

I can't find a link too quickly but they played great, Kessel was first star 1g 2a, went to the dirty areas and skated like the wind. I think this ice could unveil him to the rest of the world that only knows him as the guy that Toronto overpaid for and was last pick at the All-Star game. Burke is probably feeling like a king now thinking about that trade lol.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
USA is built like a real team while Canada is more built like an All-Star team

If I had the choice of high powered offense or being built like a team, i choose high powered offense. If one line gets worn down because of the other teams 3rd / 4th line, we should have 3 other lines capable of being the first line

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
If I had the choice of high powered offense or being built like a team, i choose high powered offense. If one line gets worn down because of the other teams 3rd / 4th line, we should have 3 other lines capable of being the first line

The thing about our team is we have TONS of guys that play and are elite at every role. Crosby, Toews, Bergeron, St. Louis are all Selke calibre players. We don't so much have a clear cut top 6 bottom six but with the crop of talent to choose from we have madness on all lines. Perry plays a very physical grinding type game, as does Nash and Getzlaf. We have all the tools we need to succeed we just need some reliable goaltending and solid effort and we can beat anyone, not say we can't lose to other teams since there are a few STACKED teams.

kristenp

Jan 22, 2014
I feel like I want to see JVR perform even better than Kessel. Most people already know Kessel can be an elite player but JVR might have a little more to prove

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
USA is built like a real team while Canada is more built like an All-Star team

The US don't have anywhere near the talent to draw from like we do .

This being said , we have plenty of hard working gritty players throughout the line up . The difference is they're also very skilled.

Canada is also caught in the position of having to select high profile players to avoid criticism if the team doesn't win gold.

I don't see where Tavares fits into this team unless they want him to use him on the pp and spot him here and there 5 on 5. PK is also in the same position if they don't trust him 5 on 5 .

I was disappointed Stamkos wasn't ready and was hoping they'd take Girioux . I can't knock taking MSL but i just think Girioux has been playing very well since his slow start .

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
I hope they are both frustrated by Team Canada in the gold medal game, then go back to the NHL with that extra chip on their shoulders. I think we're all probably unanimous on that.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
I feel like I want to see JVR perform even better than Kessel. Most people already know Kessel can be an elite player but JVR might have a little more to prove

Would love to see him continue to shine, note already having named to the US Olympic team ahead of other NHL'rs should give him that elite status already :)

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
I hope they are both frustrated by Team Canada in the gold medal game, then go back to the NHL with that extra chip on their shoulders. I think we're all probably unanimous on that.

I'm pulling for Canada first and foremost but if they get eliminated and U.S. are still playing, I'll be cheering on Phil and JVR.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
I'd be ok with a 3-2 Canada victory over U.S with Kessel and JVR having two points each lol

TheThrill81*

I don't see where Tavares fits into this team unless they want him to use him on the pp and spot him here and there 5 on 5.

You don't see where one of the best players in the NHL fits on Team Canada? Ok.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
See, the thing is that doesn't mean you're going to win or even have the best chance at winning.In 2010 that high powered offense nearly lost the gold medal game at home to a team that was more built around a system rather than being forced in to fit one. I'm not complaining though, but USA showed that you don't have to pick the best players just because you aren't Canada.

The US don't have anywhere near the talent to draw from like we do .

This being said , we have plenty of hard working gritty players throughout the line up . The difference is they're also very skilled.

Canada is also caught in the position of having to select high profile players to avoid criticism if the team doesn't win gold.

I don't see where Tavares fits into this team unless they want him to use him on the pp and spot him here and there 5 on 5. PK is also in the same position if they don't trust him 5 on 5 .

I was disappointed Stamkos wasn't ready and was hoping they'd take Girioux . I can't knock taking MSL but i just think Girioux has been playing very well since his slow start .
You're right, but the difference between Team USA and Canada is that Team USA has more of a team build than Canada. We saw how they exceeded everyones expectations back in Vancouver and we're only 1 goal away from beating Canada. USA didn't take players based on being the best available(as they did this tournament), they chose their players based on the system they want. They aren't trying to fit 4 centre's to the wing, like Canada does.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
One of the things that make Kessel so good (that unfortunately we've not had a chance to see much of) is that when the games really matter, he has a whole extra level to his game.

₭€$$€Â£ will be money for us for years to come.

Kyle Doobas*

I think Bylsma may have replaced Kessel's smelling salts with something else before that game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad