Kessel, JvR, and Kulemin in Sochi

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
See, the thing is that doesn't mean you're going to win or even have the best chance at winning.In 2010 that high powered offense nearly lost the gold medal game at home to a team that was more built around a system rather than being forced in to fit one. I'm not complaining though, but USA showed that you don't have to pick the best players just because you aren't Canada.

You're right, but the difference between Team USA and Canada is that Team USA has more of a team build than Canada. We saw how they exceeded everyones expectations back in Vancouver and we're only 1 goal away from beating Canada. USA didn't take players based on being the best available(as they did this tournament), they chose their players based on the system they want. They aren't trying to fit 4 centre's to the wing, like Canada does.

They chose players who can play both wing and centre for roster flexibility and in case of injuries .. Actually these are reasons why guys like Eric Staal were left off

And if you've paid any attention to what TC management and coaches said up to the roster selection is that they're looking to build a team - which is difficult when you have so many top line players to choose from

If you love the US so much, go cheer for them .. I don't know why you're bringing up 2010 considering a) Canada won and b) they were stuck with a similar circumstance as they are now

2006 was the year that TC **** the bed on roster selections and iced a team that wasn't cohesive .. TC brass noted that team building and chemistry is very important so selections were based on that .. Do you really think Kunitz would have made the team if he didn't compliment Crosby

Perry-Getzlaf, Sharp-Toews, Bouwmeester-Pietro .. All examples of building a team via chemistry

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
You don't see where one of the best players in the NHL fits on Team Canada? Ok.

We have have a large number of great forwards if you haven't noticed .

I'd go with

Crosby
Getzaf
Toews
Bergeron

as my C's so unless Tavares fits some where on the wings i don't see where he fits in this line up .

Tavares is a hell of an offensive player below the has marks but his skating is just avg and i don't need to see him 20 feet out of position while some one scores the game winning goal against us .

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
We have have a large number of great forwards if you haven't noticed .

I'd go with

Crosby
Getzaf
Toews
Bergeron

as my C's so unless Tavares fits some where on the wings i don't see where he fits in this line up .

Tavares is a hell of an offensive player below the has marks but his skating is just avg and i don't need to see him 20 feet out of position while some one scores the game winning goal against us .

i'd say Tavares' skating is definitely above average.. he has really improved on his overall speed.

i'd definitely take him over Bergeron.

Crosby
Tavares
Toews
Getzlaf

roll all 4 lines

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
You're right, but the difference between Team USA and Canada is that Team USA has more of a team build than Canada. We saw how they exceeded everyones expectations back in Vancouver and we're only 1 goal away from beating Canada. USA didn't take players based on being the best available(as they did this tournament), they chose their players based on the system they want. They aren't trying to fit 4 centre's to the wing, like Canada does.

Why would a team with the arguably the best/hottest goalie in the world at that time exceed expectations . They were playing the under dog card back then but they were a solid team on paper .

Canada has such a large amount of deserving players there's always going to be a debate who they select regardless of whether they win the gold or not .

Last edited:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
i'd say Tavares' skating is definitely above average.. he has really improved on his overall speed.

i'd definitely take him over Bergeron.

Crosby
Tavares
Toews
Getzlaf

roll all 4 lines

JT has greatly improved his skating but he's still an avg skater .

Offensively of course you'd take him over Bergeron but Bergy is a better fit as your 4th line/checking C .

So it comes down to which 2 of Toews-Getz-JT you'd want as your other C's imo .

and i don't roll 4 line when i have the best player in the game on my team

Last edited:

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
USA is built like a real team while Canada is more built like an All-Star team

JT has greatly improved his skating but he's still an avg skater .

Offensively of course you'd take him over Bergeron but Bergy is a better fit as your 4th line/checking C .

So it comes down to which 2 of Toews-Getz-JT yo'd want as your other C's imo .

and i don't role 4 line when i have the best player in the game on my team

i dont see how you dont put the selke winning/nominated center on the 4th line. imo the choice is really only between toews and bergeron. tavares deserves to be on the team but if they are going to take him it should be in a top 6 roll. whatever carter brings to the kunitz-crosby line i would think tavares could do.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
i dont see how you dont put the selke winning/nominated center on the 4th line. imo the choice is really only between toews and bergeron. tavares deserves to be on the team but if they are going to take him it should be in a top 6 roll. whatever carter brings to the kunitz-crosby line i would think tavares could do.

I should have said in my earlier post it was either Getz or JT as our last C . Sid's a given and when you play the top teams you're going to want elite level defensive C's who can also produce offensively like Toews and Bergy ( nhl's 2 most recent Selke winners ).

I agree , if you take JT you want him in a top 6 role and i don't see the big deal with shifting him to the wing with either Sid or Getz .

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Team Japan for women's. It's been a rough start :(

But seriously, it seems every year there is an upset from a hard working team who someone takes lightly. Switzerland seems to take advantage of it.

:laugh: You read my mind, I've been cheering on Japan in the woman's tourney. They need all the help they can get.

I wonder if China will ever go all in for hockey? Over a billion people in that country, you'd have to figure there a few hockey players there somewhere.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Well let's just focus on Kessel and JVR.

Can debate the positives and negatives of Team Canada's selection process another time :).

Hope Kessel just stays hot so he can come back and continue what he's been doing.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Kessel, JVR line was beast and Stastny was money around the net. What are our chances of signing Stastny this offseason?

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Kadri-Stastny-Lupul
Komarov-Bolland-Clarkson

Hot ddam what a lineup.

TheThrill81*

Tavares' skating is above average, and his defensive play has improved vastly.

It's no surprise he had a good game earlier. He belongs on Team Canada, no doubt whatsoever in that regard.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Tavares' skating is above average, and his defensive play has improved vastly.

It's no surprise he had a good game earlier. He belongs on Team Canada, no doubt whatsoever in that regard.

There has never been a problem with Tavares skating, it reminds me of people saying Gretzky was not the best skater.

Both are very ellusive, and have great lateral ability. This is more important than straight away speed and mobility like a Mack Truck.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
As a Brit I obviously have no real ties to either the Canada or the US, so i'm delighted to see Kessel and JVR hit the ground running.

But I think cos I've grown to love the Leafs, I can't help but favour Canada if they meet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad