Sportsnet: Kessel: Classless to throw Leafs jerseys on ice

TML1

Oct 18, 2014
Any true fan like myself wants to throw their Jersey away when the team is this bad but don't because of monetary reasons. Anyone that tosses their jersey has respect from me.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
DID ANYONE ACTUALLY READ HIS QUOTE?

You all are going off and ****, but this is a sensationalized headline. It's click bait!

He said that he didn't like it because you can be upset with the current players but by throwing it on the ice you are disrespecting all the great leafs who have played their hearts out on the ice. That is what he thought was classless.

And I agree with him.

Except the fans arent watching all those great leafs. They are long gone. Retired and many passed away.

They pay money to watch the current humans wearing the Leaf uniforms. They are throwing the current leaf jersey back at the current leafs.

Hiding behind the great leafs of yesteryear is another instance of not taking responsibility for their actions on the ice.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
Fans should have an "inside out" jersey night.

Wear the jersey - don't throw it - but wear it inside out to demonstrate their concerns with the on-ice product.

Eddie Livingstone

May 25, 2014
Porquis Junction
DID ANYONE ACTUALLY READ HIS QUOTE?

You all are going off and ****, but this is a sensationalized headline. It's click bait!

He said that he didn't like it because you can be upset with the current players but by throwing it on the ice you are disrespecting all the great leafs who have played their hearts out on the ice. That is what he thought was classless.

And I agree with him.

This is true, and I normally don't agree with you. Maybe it is a bit classless. Well let's heckle the ***** out of them if deserved. Loud and proud.

hockeyfanz*

So sick of the whiners around here passing judgement on fans who have every right to be disgusted by these losers.

The biggest injustice is being done by the classless and disrespectful hockey team wearing the iconic jerseys.

This deflection of responsibility has to stop. Its the equivalent of blaming the victim in an assault case.

Kessel..shut the EFF up man. Your team is the embarrassment.

On that note...fans are pretty dumb to pay that kind of money for a jersey and for hockey tickets. If you continue to pay top dollar for an inferior product you got nobody else to blame but yourself and also as Calgary Leaf points out...grown men should not wear sports jerseys in public. If you have your favorite players name on the back its double loser.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
It is classless you support your team through the good and bad times. I'm a Leafs fan for life but fans that do this are the fans I hate the most.

Support your team through the good and bad or just pick another team. Disrespecting the players by throwing jerseys on the ice and cheering the other team is not only disrespectful but I'm sure hurts players confidence. If you want to protest just stop buying tickets, but our team is getting worse because the fans are getting worse.

Where is your outrage at the players for their total disrespect of the fans ?

No one's asking them to win every game and the vast majority of fans understand the team will come out totally flat the odd game but this has been like the 5th or 6th game out of 19 the team hasn't even showed enough respect for the fans to put in a decent effort and that's unacceptable .

You can come on here with the rest of your small group and berate the fans for showing their displeasure but it'll only get worse until this group decides their serious about earning their paychecks or are replaced by those that will .

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
Calling the people who pay your salary 'stupid' is not something the Leaf management nor the League take kindly to.

Instead of point the finger at the fans, perhaps Kessel should discuss how it is his team can lose 6-2 to an AHL team then 9-2 at home.
no I'm sure the league and team were praising the guy who did it.

that's why they have said future actions may result in fines and banishment from the rink.

a spad is a spad

if you don't like Phil's answers get those asking the questions to change the question. do you think they asked about the losses and his response was about the jersey?

Beleafer19

Apr 25, 2013
If they put up another performance like the last two games tonight, they should be forced to wear just blue sweaters going forward.

No logos.

This. What's classless is putting on that jersey and playing like you don't give a s*** about the organization you play for, that's disrespectful.

Ace88*

I was obviously over exaggerating. No way would a Nhler get in trouble with the law and the team not find out. Your just arguing for the sake of it. We're done here. Don't respond. Thanx

Or else what, youre gonna call your mom? :laugh: Grow up. You were straight up wrong, be an adult about it. NHL players arent owned by the teams. They arent owned by fans. Offseason time for players is the same as summer for teachers. They can, and do, engage in whatever activities they want and they dont answer to anybody unless they do something stupid and get caught. Period.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
So sick of the whiners around here passing judgement on fans who have every right to be disgusted by these losers.

The biggest injustice is being done by the classless and disrespectful hockey team wearing the iconic jerseys.

This deflection of responsibility has to stop. Its the equivalent of blaming the victim in an assault case.

Kessel..shut the EFF up man. Your team is the embarrassment.

On that note...fans are pretty dumb to pay that kind of money for a jersey and for hockey tickets. If you continue to pay top dollar for an inferior product you got nobody else to blame but yourself and also as Calgary Leaf points out...grown men should not wear sports jerseys in public. If you have your favorite players name on the back its double loser.

He tried that already.

Why shouldn't you wear jerseys? It's been sporting tradition since... I don't even know how long, in every sport. Is it not manly enough?

hockeyfanz*

He tried that already.

Why shouldn't you wear jerseys? It's been sporting tradition since... I don't even know how long, in every sport. Is it not manly enough?

You're right he has already tried that and got reemed for it. But maybe this time he said too much. I don't ever like hearing athletes badmouthing the fans (who in fact pay their salaries, thats all).

And wearing a sports jersey does seem somewhat juvenile, yes. What is that, a fashion statement?

Not piling on Kessel..dont get me wrong. He is one of the few players who actually has shown up on most nights. Cant say the same about the rest though.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
He tried that already.

childish maybe? Do you dress like George Clooney when you watch one of his movies?

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
childish maybe? Do you dress like George Clooney when you watch one of his movies?

And what if I do? Fanaticism has been around for ages. You identify yourself with the team you're cheering for, in colours, jersey, chants or logo. It seems people have too much pride to and think they're somehow less manly because they're wearing someone elses name on a sports jersey

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
And what if I do? Fanaticism has been around for ages. You identify yourself with the team you're cheering for, in colours, jersey, chants or logo. It seems people have too much pride to and think they're somehow less manly because they're wearing someone elses name on a sports jersey

I don't care what people think, I am almost 30 and I will wear a jersey anytime I want. I like them.

moonbal

Apr 29, 2013
Pillsbury Toronto
This was posted in the Toronto Sun about what happens the next time someone at the Air Canada Centre throws a Leafs jersey on the ice.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/11/19/kessel-calls-jersey-tossing-classless

“It’s important to note that a patron throwing anything on the playing surface could be charged with trespassing,†said an MLSE official, “which would see them barred from all MLSE venues for a minimum of 12 months and possibly for life.

So if Stamkos scores a hat trick tonight, all the Bolts fans (with hats) could get banned from ACC? :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00