Sportsnet: Kessel: Classless to throw Leafs jerseys on ice

Tyler Biggs*

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...leafs-jerseys-on-ice-disrespectful-classless/

I agree with him 100%. I know the fans have a right to be upset but to throw jerseys onto the ice is a total lack of class and professionalism. I am really disgusted that this is happening and it needs to stop ASAP.

Throwing a jersey on the ice isn't only disrespectful to the current players and legacy, but the past players who wore the jersey before them. There's other ways to show your frustration to your team. If you really don't want your jersey anymore, instead of throwing it on the ice, donate it to a children's hospital.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
I'm also disgusted by the 9-2 loss yesterday that was in fact, the most goals they allowed since the last TWO decades...

Tyler Biggs*

Anybody who is a true fan would never even think to throw anything, especially a jersey on the ice. True fans stick by their team and respect the players, the organization and the game. I'm sure these people were singing Kessel's praises in the win over the Bruins but when times get tough, they have to act like disrespectful kids!

If you can't take the losses then quit watching, quit paying the obscene prices and quit calling yourself a fan!

Throwing anything on the ice is wrong and should be grounds for ejection from the building and a permanent ban. If you don't like your jersey, give it to a kid who can't afford one.

MajorityRules*

Hmmmm, something tells me the fans are now going to want him to shut up after complaining two days ago about him dodging the media.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I'm a huge Kessel fan, but the most classless thing to happen that night was giving up 9 goals, the most goals we've given up in a game since 1991, to a bottom 10 scoring team the game after giving up 6 goals to the worst team in the cap era and the team on pace to be the worst scoring team in NHL history.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
you know what's funny. People want to throw in "true fans will/should (or aren't): _____________".
you can be a true fan - and be disappointed and frustrated and angry.. actually, you can argue, the fact that people are dissapointed and frustrated and angry is proof that we're true fans.

get mad at the people who go "oh i'm out i can't watch/support the team." don't get mad at people at the fact that people are MAD at the crap on the ice.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Fans are allowed to be angry when they get those kinds of performances from the team - especially on home ice. I do think that throwing the jersey is a classless gesture because loyalties are with the crest on the jersey, not the name on the back. Throwing that jersey on the ice is kind of a slap in the face to all of the great players that have worn it in the past and have done it with pride. It's also a waste of money. That said, I understand people finding anyway to voice their displeasure. You can boo, you can chant, you can throw things or you could simply not pay money to see that live.

It doesn't matter if a player says it's classless or if a player fairly acknowledges the fans frustration - it's past the time for words. Stop talking and start showing that you give a ****.

TheVision

Sep 18, 2011
Classless and disrespectful is tweeting how much you enjoy fishing, while 16 other teams are fighting for the Cup.

What balls to come out at the fans like that the day after one of the most embarrassing moments in the club's history. He went on to say what the symbolism means to the history of the club and it's alumni. Really Phil, the display the night before wasn't a big middle finger to everyone who's ever been involved in the Leafs; fans included!

I will give it to Phil though, at least he tried to direct heat away from the team's horrific performance. The players need to shut their mouths, finally commit to Randy's system, and just play.

If fans want to throw a jersey, I have no issues with it. It's about time this fan base got PISSED OFF! The players certainly don't appear to be.

CalgaryLeaf*

No grown man should ever wear a hockey jersey (unless they are playing hockey) but that's for another thread.:laugh:

The mistake wasn't throwing the jersey on the ice it was walking into the arena wearing it in public.

Last edited by a moderator:

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
I didn't see any jerseys being thrown on the ice when they win?

coincidence? I think not.... much just be classless leaf fans.

not srs

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I'ts been said more than a few times in a few different places now but:

The most disgraceful use of the jersey has been the people wearing them on the ice, not the ones throwing them.

NikoPopp

Dec 19, 2013
Just like a player can lose his cool when he is frustrated and do something stupid, a frustrated fan can lose his cool and do something stupid.

TheVision

Sep 18, 2011
Can anyone think of a more realistic and effective protest?

Are we not tired with absolute mediocrity?

If it takes throwing jerseys to convey to the players that the fan base has had it, I'm all for it. It certainly doesn't change my opinions on any players that have worn it before. Maybe more should view it from another way: these are fans who believe these current players and managers are not deserving of that logo!

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I'ts been said more than a few times in a few different places now but:

The most disgraceful use of the jersey has been the people wearing them on the ice, not the ones throwing them.

If they put up another performance like the last two games tonight, they should be forced to wear just blue sweaters going forward.

No logos.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
the current team is not honouring the leafs heritage and the great leaf players to wear the jersey before them.

throwing a jersey on the ice is insulting to the players but i dont see how it is classless. it is a form of protesting. at least the leafs get people to come to the games. if a team like florida or nashville, or arizona had a track record like the leafs the past 20 years they would be lucky to have franchises.

Ace88*

Classless and disrespectful is tweeting how much you enjoy fishing, while 16 other teams are fighting for the Cup.

I don't think you know what either of those words mean if you think Kessel enjoying his time off is classless and disrespectful. I guess the only acceptable way in your view for the players of the other 14 teams to spend their offseason is to lock themselves in their basements, hang their heads down and feel extreme shame there eh bud? Tell me, when you have time off from work, how do you spend it? Oh, doing fun things and enjoying your leisure time?

Get a clue.

If fans want to throw a jersey, I have no issues with it. It's about time this fan base got PISSED OFF! The players certainly don't appear to be.

Really? Because i'd say that Phil Kessel has looked extraordinarily pissed off at his team's performance the last couple games. He's the only one showing real frustration and emotion. I question your ability to rationally assess things with regards to this hockey team because you are so, so very off the mark. I mean further away than a Leaf stanley cup.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
you know what's funny. People want to throw in "true fans will/should (or aren't): _____________".
you can be a true fan - and be disappointed and frustrated and angry.. actually, you can argue, the fact that people are dissapointed and frustrated and angry is proof that we're true fans.

get mad at the people who go "oh i'm out i can't watch/support the team." don't get mad at people at the fact that people are MAD at the crap on the ice.

Bingo!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad