Sportsnet: Kessel: Classless to throw Leafs jerseys on ice

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
Throwing the Jersey has really changed things? It's a game and entertainment, not life or death! Don't like it, don't go or watch, pretty simple.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
the most classless thing to happen that night was giving up 9 goals, the most goals we've given up in a game since 1991, to a bottom 10 scoring team the game after giving up 6 goals to the worst team in the cap era and the team on pace to be the worst scoring team in NHL history.

well said

to bad Phil and the gang are more upset about the shirt tossing than they are about their lack of effort

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Stop going to the games....or if you are there Boo the whole game...and do not wear your jerseys.

Who shows up with the intent to boo all game? I'm gonna pay this $200 so I an Boo all game..Oh and while I'm at it I'm gonna throw this $200 jersey on the ice.. TAKE MY HAT TOO!!!!

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
the current team is not honouring the leafs heritage and the great leaf players to wear the jersey before them.

throwing a jersey on the ice is insulting to the players but i dont see how it is classless. it is a form of protesting. at least the leafs get people to come to the games. if a team like florida or nashville, or arizona had a track record like the leafs the past 20 years they would be lucky to have franchises.

If it keeps up down the line we should sell this team save for the name. Take on the expansion status operating as The Toronto Maple Leafs and rebuild the organization from scratch A-Z

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...leafs-jerseys-on-ice-disrespectful-classless/

I agree with him 100%. I know the fans have a right to be upset but to throw jerseys onto the ice is a total lack of class and professionalism. I am really disgusted that this is happening and it needs to stop ASAP.

Throwing a jersey on the ice isn't only disrespectful to the current players and legacy, but the past players who wore the jersey before them. There's other ways to show your frustration to your team. If you really don't want your jersey anymore, instead of throwing it on the ice, donate it to a children's hospital.

So Kessel is offended that an offended fan showed that he was offended because of the offending hockey the Leafs have been playing?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Just like a player can lose his cool when he is frustrated and do something stupid, a frustrated fan can lose his cool and do something stupid.

Without a doubt these idiots are heading to the game hoping for the opportunity to throw a jersey. It's in no way spontaneous.

SwollenGoat

Sep 23, 2008
South River
I don't think you know what either of those words mean if you think Kessel enjoying his time off is classless and disrespectful. I guess the only acceptable way in your view for the players of the other 14 teams to spend their offseason is to lock themselves in their basements, hang their heads down and feel extreme shame there eh bud? Tell me, when you have time off from work, how do you spend it? Oh, doing fun things and enjoying your leisure time?

Get a clue.

The difference is we aren't a famous hockey player from the most watched hockey team tweeting this out to the world during the playoffs.
It was bad timing on Kessel's part, I'm sure he learned a lesson about social media after that faux paux.

TheVision

Sep 18, 2011
I don't think you know what either of those words mean if you think Kessel enjoying his time off is classless and disrespectful. I guess the only acceptable way in your view for the players of the other 14 teams to spend their offseason is to lock themselves in their basements, hang their heads down and feel extreme shame there eh bud? Tell me, when you have time off from work, how do you spend it? Oh, doing fun things and enjoying your leisure time?

Get a clue.

Really? Because i'd say that Phil Kessel has looked extraordinarily pissed off at his team's performance the last couple games. He's the only one showing real frustration and emotion. I question your ability to rationally assess things with regards to this hockey team because you are so, so very off the mark. I mean further away than a Leaf stanley cup.

HAHAHAHA.

Well you certainly put me in my place, didn't you! honestly, I could care less what you think of me, but if you think Phil looked pissed off, perhaps you're the one WAY off the mark.

As to his leisure time, i don't begrudge him that. However, after how the last 20 games last year went, and the fact that they should have been in the playoffs, it was in incredibly bad taste on Phil's part to tweet about it and gloat at the time.

You're entire post actually sums up many of Leafs Nation: accepting of mediocrity and still find in yourself to defend pro athletes not even remotely deserving of your loyalty!

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...leafs-jerseys-on-ice-disrespectful-classless/

I agree with him 100%. I know the fans have a right to be upset but to throw jerseys onto the ice is a total lack of class and professionalism. I am really disgusted that this is happening and it needs to stop ASAP.

Throwing a jersey on the ice isn't only disrespectful to the current players and legacy, but the past players who wore the jersey before them. There's other ways to show your frustration to your team. If you really don't want your jersey anymore, instead of throwing it on the ice, donate it to a children's hospital.

Losing 6-2 to the worst team in the league and playing with no effort is disrespectful to the fans, the organization and the players who wore the jersey in the past. Then losing 9-2 the following game is a total lack of class and professionalism. They should be disgusting that we pay good money to go out and watch garbage like that. I am disgusted that this team played with no effort that past few games and got absolutely humiliated and it needs to stop ASAP. If they really want to play like that and call it hockey, play in a beer league.

Ace88*

The difference is we aren't a famous hockey player from the most watched hockey team tweeting this out to the world during the playoffs.
It was bad timing on Kessel's part, I'm sure he learned a lesson about social media after that faux paux.

Doesn't matter. These guys do not owe you, or me, or any of us A SINGLE THING in the offseason. That's THEIR time to enjoy.

A star player in the top echelon of the league actually wanted to re-sign here and all anyone can do is ****ing rake him over the coals for things that are not his fault. It's actually disgusting. I am disgusted with a lot of you. (inb4 all the OH NO THE ONLY DISGUSTING THING IS THAT PERFORMANCE HO HO SO CLEVER posts)

yes, the leafs lost 9-2. Get over it and move on with the rest of the 82-game season. I wonder where you lot would disappear to if the Leafs win the next game 9-2.

MajorityRules*

Doesn't matter. These guys do not owe you, or me, or any of us A SINGLE THING in the offseason. That's THEIR time to enjoy.

A star player in the top echelon of the league actually wanted to re-sign here and all anyone can do is ****ing rake him over the coals for things that are not his fault. It's actually disgusting. I am disgusted with a lot of you. (inb4 all the OH NO THE ONLY DISGUSTING THING IS THAT PERFORMANCE HO HO SO CLEVER posts)

yes, the leafs lost 9-2. Get over it and move on with the rest of the 82-game season. I wonder where you lot would disappear to if the Leafs win the next game 9-2.

I've actually been going back over the years looking at the records of previous Leafs teams. You'd be surprised to see how many times the Sundin led teams put up back to back stinkers even going 2 1/2 games without scoring a goal. It's a long season. In another month this game will be forgotten.

Maximus74

Mar 5, 2006
Ontario
Huge Kessel fan but he is wrong.

Some fans are lucky to go to one game per year and don't earn in a year what he makes in a period. I feel bad for the Dad that took his kid to their one annual Leaf game and spent $100s of dollars too see a bunch of millionaires play like they didn't care.

You play that poorly at home, you deserve it.

SwollenGoat

Sep 23, 2008
South River

Wow, you are an emotional one eh? Sorry to rustle your jimmies pal.

Ace88*

HAHAHAHA.

Well you certainly put me in my place, didn't you! honestly, I could care less what you think of me, but if you think Phil looked pissed off, perhaps you're the one WAY off the mark.

As to his leisure time, i don't begrudge him that. However, after how the last 20 games last year went, and the fact that they should have been in the playoffs, it was in incredibly bad taste on Phil's part to tweet about it and gloat at the time.

You're entire post actually sums up many of Leafs Nation: accepting of mediocrity and still find in yourself to defend pro athletes not even remotely deserving of your loyalty!

I encourage you to go look through all of my posts and see if you can find a single one that is accepting of mediocrity.

You won't, so stop projecting crap onto me, especially things that you have no idea are true or not. Just because im not throwing a completely immature hissy fit over a bad loss doesn't mean im okay with a losing team.

Ace88*

Wow, you are an emotional one eh? Sorry to rustle your jimmies pal.

Emotional, no lol. Frustrated with you guys, yes. Emotional would be crying and lamenting over a pair of nasty losses, running around screaming how the sky is falling like 90% of HF is right now.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Did you mean to say that someone was offended?

Not sure ...:sarcasm: .. I think we moved on to disgusted but I'm not really sure any more... aparently there is a "True fan cook book" .. it tells you how you are supposed to act.... I think I've moved on to confused...

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario

I still can't believe how so many of you think that this team with its current core are going to be a Stanley Cup contender soon. This is mediocre with a bunch of players that don't show up a lot of nights. If this team was any good or cared at all, they would have had a better effort last game. Instead they got destroyed 9-2. Its OK, once Stamkos comes here after next season all will be good. :sarcasm:

Ace88*

I still can't believe how so many of you think that this team with its current core are going to be a Stanley Cup contender soon. This is mediocre with a bunch of players that don't show up a lot of nights. If this team was any good or cared at all, they would have had a better effort last game. Instead they got destroyed 9-2. Its OK, once Stamkos comes here after next season all will be good. :sarcasm:

I can't believe how so many of you think that anyone who doesn't think this is the worst team in history must think they're stanley cup contenders.

i can play the hyperbolic strawman game too

Eddie Livingstone

May 25, 2014
Porquis Junction
I've actually been going back over the years looking at the records of previous Leafs teams. You'd be surprised to see how many times the Sundin led teams put up back to back stinkers even going 2 1/2 games without scoring a goal. It's a long season. In another month this game will be forgotten.

Technically he does, he is paid a lot of money and to come to camp prepared and in shape, that is part of the job. There is alot more to his job description than on ice.And his salary is paid by the fans so he does owe Leafs Nation. Sure you can enjoy your time off, but don't gloat, and poke at an angry fan base.

Throw your jerseys if you please, just not during game play, wait for a whistle at least.

Sorry quoted wrong post. Meant to quote Vor

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
I can't believe how so many of you think that anyone who doesn't think this is the worst team in history must think they're stanley cup contenders.

i can play the hyperbolic strawman game too

I don't think they are the worst team but why so many of you defend this team and keep saying to stay patient with these guys cause they will get better. Too many times has this team taken the night off and I fully understand people being pissed about this team. More fans would be forgiving if this team was losing but at least put an effort to play every night.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Dumb to throw away money like that (wasted money watching a 9-2 or whatever game, on top of throwing away a jersey)

I do understand the frustration, but there are better ways to send a message. Not buying tickets, for one

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Huge Kessel fan but he is wrong.

Some fans are lucky to go to one game per year and don't earn in a year what he makes in a period. I feel bad for the Dad that took his kid to their one annual Leaf game and spent $100s of dollars too see a bunch of millionaires play like they didn't care.

You play that poorly at home, you deserve it.

Hey guys. Tampa fan here. I am hoping you guys want an outsiders POV.

The fans pay for Kessel's salary. They can do whatever they want with their jerseys they shell out $200 bucks for.

When the Leafs get blown away by a team who is obnoxiously trying to get Mc David, then lose at HOME 9-2 , the fans have every right to question the effort level of their hockey team. Fans are ****** off and deservedly so.

Kessel could have said that throwing the jerseys on the ice was a waste of the money and that they will bounce back blah blah

Its not his place to insult the fans and call them classless.

Just my .02

Eddie Livingstone

May 25, 2014
Porquis Junction
You might as well get some enjoyment out of the money you spent on your seat. Toss away. And when your mad your not thinking "oh this jersey is a little expensive, I better not throw it". Your thinking "truck this trucking team and this trucking embarrassing trucking jersey I'm wearing, I'm gonna trucking throw it at them".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad