Injury Report: Kesler out with a broken foot

cotillion

May 26, 2011
PoCo
Abe-Simpson-walking-in-and-out-the-simpsons-7414427-320-240.gif

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
And this is the problem with the North American sports approach that the Cup = everything. The idea that everyone is an equal loser if they don't win the Cup, and therefore anything but near certainty is pointless, sucks all the fun out of being a fan. It shouldn't be better to tank the second you have an inkling your team may not beat astronomical odds.

In the rest of the world, just beating a rival, or qualifying for a tournament, or avoiding relegation is cause for celebration. There are many different things to cheer for. Only here are divisional titles mocked, failing to qualify for the final 4 of a 30-team league seen as "unacceptable", and draft picks preferred to victory in any capacity but winning the lottery that is the Cup.

There is clearly a problem with this system. 29 of 30 teams can't win the Cup, and 26 can't come even remotely close. You can't actually plan to beat those odds, you can only hope for luck. Should we all be miserable wretches then at the league's collective 97% failure rate? Or should we cheer for the best outcome we can, and recognize that there are different tiers of accomplishment?

Gillis agrees with your line of thinking. But of course, the odds are better of winning it all if we're a strong team every year, rather than going all-in during one season and potentially throwing it all away. You just need to contend, and sooner or later you'll break through.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Jesus, this is a joke? How does he break it in dallas and he or the medical staff not detect this?

And now kuzma (andrew ebbetts dad) and others are claiming our answer is to bring ebbett back when were struggling.

Do we have any chance against a kings team saturday thats heating up.

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
At least it's a broken foot which would heal completely and not something that could nag him in the future.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Canucks would finish in third only because they're first in the nw. They're not the third best in the west in my opinion.

People keep saying we got the nw division locked down, team 1040 is bad for this, minny is 4 points behind with a game in hand. Were not a lock to win the nw yet. Especially if ebbett is replacing kesler for 6 weeks.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Gillis agrees with your line of thinking. But of course, the odds are better of winning it all if we're a strong team every year, rather than going all-in during one season and potentially throwing it all away. You just need to contend, and sooner or later you'll break through.

Well the problem is our core is aging, Kesler is breaking down, the Sedins aren't 100 point players anymore, so thinking they will be top contenders forever is just stupid. Gillis needs to go for it before it's too late, if its not already.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
People keep saying we got the nw division locked down, team 1040 is bad for this, minny is 4 points behind with a game in hand. Were not a lock to win the nw yet. Especially if ebbett is replacing kesler for 6 weeks.

Yeah we certainly don't have it in the bag.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
Kesler update: #Canucks centre actually broke his right foot in first game back on Feb. 15 against Dallas, not Feb. 21 in Dallas.

Even worse.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Kesler update: #Canucks centre actually broke his right foot in first game back on Feb. 15 against Dallas, not Feb. 21 in Dallas.

Even worse.

So this went undetected for a whole 7 games?

Jesus Christ... What kind of doctors do we have here?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Mentioned this in the other injury thread, but trading Kesler is now in the back of my mind, even though he is my favourite Canuck. Pretty hard to be effective hurt or on the IR. We pen Kesler in the lineup after the Sedins retire/leave, but I think we should lightly pencil Kesler in the lineup at this point.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
I'm guessing he didn't tell anyone. It's not like they check their feet for damage after every game.

Yeah, apparently he was in some discomfort but didn't think much of it (him and the staff) and then I guess it got worse and the medical staff decided to do a CT scan.

StringerBell

Yeah, apparently he was in some discomfort but didn't think much of it (him and the staff) and then I guess it got worse and the medical staff decided to do a CT scan.

Well they did X-ray it, it just didn't show up until the CT.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I'm guessing he didn't tell anyone. It's not like they check their feet for damage after every game.

Clearly the doctors are at fault here. Doctors of other NHL teams do CT scans on their players' feet after every shift, so ours should be at fault for Kesler's broken foot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad