Injury Report: Kesler out with a broken foot

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I'm guessing he didn't tell anyone. It's not like they check their feet for damage after every game.

Come on man youre just making excuses for management. The technology is readily available.

They could have easily set up an "airport security" like x-ray scanning system. Just have the guys lie down on a conveyor belt.

Last edited:

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
I seriously think this season is just bad luck hopefully they can do what LA did and just shine in the playoffs. Anyways I am not too concerned because they managed well without both Kesler and Booth. Maybe MG will do something at the deadline. (Hopefully)

StringerBell

Come on man your just making excuses for management. The technology is readily available.

They could have easily set up an "airport security" like x-ray scanning system. Just have the guys lie down on a conveyor belt.

His foot was x-rayed. The fracture didn't show up. It's not uncommon, it's just bad luck.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I seriously think this season is just bad luck hopefully they can do what LA did and just shine in the playoffs. Anyways I am not too concerned because they managed well without both Kesler and Booth. Maybe MG will do something at the deadline. (Hopefully)

It's not bad luck, our system just sucks, it's old, and teams know it. I hate to be one that isn't very optimistic but I've been fooled for too long, we're not going to pull what LA did last year. Our system sucks, and every team knows our system.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
His foot was x-rayed. The fracture didn't show up. It's not uncommon, it's just bad luck.

I know. I was being facetious.

I had a similar type of situation a few months back after taking a puck off the foot. Went got xrays and the doctor said no break just a bruise. Took two months for the pain to go away.

Xrays are not the best for analyzing breaks and the foot is pretty complicated with all its bones, ligaments etc.

FelixPotvin29

Oct 21, 2012
And this is the problem with the North American sports approach that the Cup = everything. The idea that everyone is an equal loser if they don't win the Cup, and therefore anything but near certainty is pointless, sucks all the fun out of being a fan. It shouldn't be better to tank the second you have an inkling your team may not beat astronomical odds.

In the rest of the world, just beating a rival, or qualifying for a tournament, or avoiding relegation is cause for celebration. There are many different things to cheer for. Only here are divisional titles mocked, failing to qualify for the final 4 of a 30-team league seen as "unacceptable", and draft picks preferred to victory in any capacity but winning the lottery that is the Cup.

There is clearly a problem with this system. 29 of 30 teams can't win the Cup, and 26 can't come even remotely close. You can't actually plan to beat those odds, you can only hope for luck. Should we all be miserable wretches then at the league's collective 97% failure rate? Or should we cheer for the best outcome we can, and recognize that there are different tiers of accomplishment?

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
And this is the problem with the North American sports approach that the Cup = everything. The idea that everyone is an equal loser if they don't win the Cup, and therefore anything but near certainty is pointless, sucks all the fun out of being a fan. It shouldn't be better to tank the second you have an inkling your team may not beat astronomical odds.

In the rest of the world, just beating a rival, or qualifying for a tournament, or avoiding relegation is cause for celebration. There are many different things to cheer for. Only here are divisional titles mocked, failing to qualify for the final 4 of a 30-team league seen as "unacceptable", and draft picks preferred to victory in any capacity but winning the lottery that is the Cup.

There is clearly a problem with this system. 29 of 30 teams can't win the Cup, and 26 can't come even remotely close. You can't actually plan to beat those odds, you can only hope for luck. Should we all be miserable wretches then at the league's collective 97% failure rate? Or should we cheer for the best outcome we can, and recognize that there are different tiers of accomplishment?

Best post I've ever read on HF. :handclap:

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013

I come from a country that not only puts its hopes on winning a tournament that has a one game, knock out, finals format, a nd only comes around every 4 years, but If we lose a single game in-between this tournament, the whole country goes nuts. seriously the economy has drops every time we get knocked out.

StringerBell

Typical loser's mentality.

Seriously though, great post. Wholeheartedly agree.

Big Naissak

4 8 15 16 23 42
Mar 28, 2012
Edmonton, Canucks.

Nope, win or bust.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden

The absolute most intense games in SEL are the regulation games, not the finals. Who cares about winning the SEL, well it is kind of fun. On the other hand the whole organisation is at danger if you lose the regulation series and the whole ship goes down a tier. It would work on the continent of free competition too, even if major restructure must be done. This is an example of different tiers of accomplishment.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011

Aren't you saying that the problem is that there is only one tier of accomplishment?

stickside

Oct 6, 2007

meh, i get what you're saying but i'm not in agreement. this isn't peewee hockey or community soccer where there are tournaments revolving around holidays that little kids and parents get excited to travel to.

this is the big league, this is the nhl. the only thing that matters is winning the cup. if not winning the cup sucks the life out of you or if you feel like a miserable wretch when your team doesn't win, perhaps you're taking it a bit too seriously?

Last edited:

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Typical loser's mentality.

Seriously though, great post. Wholeheartedly agree.
:laugh::laugh: OK, you totally got me with the light-colored text. I was definitely about to lay into your response.

Nope, win or bust.
What does this even mean? We all want to win. But acknowledging the high probability that we can't doesn't mean we should tank, or that we should view losing the 7th game of the SCF as the same as missing the playoffs. (For the record, the NHL is complicit in this with its draft system. A lottery for the #1 overall that barely affects anyone doesn't in any way correct the perverse incentive.)

Aren't you saying that the problem is that there is only one tier of accomplishment?
Yes, but it's mostly in the minds of the fans. There are different tiers of accomplishment (making the playoffs, winning the division, winning playoff rounds, etc.) This idea that "everyone is an equal loser but the team who wins the Cup" is a pretty recent phenomenon in my experience, probably spread by pointless Internet trash talk. Accomplishment in sports has always been relative, and a reductionist approach like this is just a recipe for bitterness. I mean, when the BC Lions won their first ever game in an otherwise disastrous inaugural season in a tiny league, there were street parties. Belarus issued a postage stamp when they beat Sweden in a single Olympic hockey game. Soccer teams who win promotion from div. 3 to div. 2 are freaking thrilled.

Sports is entertainment, and it's way more fun to have the possibility of sometimes being happy. Yes, the Canucks are not an expansion team, and we're at the stage where we want them to win the Cup, but we can't pretend that not being able to against horrible odds means that we should treat everything as a massive failure and have to "blow it up" every year.

this is the big league, this is the nhl. the only thing that matters is winning the cup.
First of all, forget peewee -- in every pro sports league in the world outside of North America, the Cup is one distinction, while winning the league is another, in addition to numerous other distinctions. All of those fans stick with their club even through relegation to lower levels because it isn't all about one thing, it's about racking up as much glory as you can. In North America, the Cup is the end goal, yes. If it is truly the "only thing that matters" (to the point that you can't enjoy the sport on its own, or be excited when your team does something short of winning the Cup) then it's almost pointless to watch games. And besides, it isn't true: fans clearly care about stuff like division titles, All-Star selections, stats, etc., because they debate them endlessly on the radio and over the Internet.

if not winning the cup sucks the life out of you or if you feel like a miserable wretch when your team doesn't win, perhaps you're taking it a bit too seriously?
Have you seen this place after, like, a preseason loss? I'm not the one who is taking it too seriously -- I am trying to offer some perspective here to counterbalance the "last overall is the same as second overall" mentality. Nobody applies this to their own life ("I'm not the CEO of Exxon-Mobil? I may as well be homeless!"), so it's ridiculous that they would apply it to other things.

stickside

Oct 6, 2007
ok Jyrki21...

if you want to get excited about the differing levels of accomplishment, then the Canucks have a t-shirt they want you to buy. Go for it. (i've never, ever seen anyone wearing one of these btw)

http://shop.canada.nhl.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12850907&cp=3176443&clickid=body_bestsell_txt

i'd rather wait for the one that says Stanley Cup champion.

now that doesn't mean i don't have a certain level of pride in being president's trophy or division winners, but in the end game all i really care about is winning the cup. i'd rather have one stanley cup banner instead of a bunch of divisional title banners

but that's just me.

Crows*

Personally I'm not a fan of the soccer way of cups for every single damn thing. They even had a cup for the pre season in North Carolina.

I know it's about pride... But cascadia cup.. Really? 3 teams? Or the nutr lite cup? 3 teams.... Sorry doesn't get me excited.

Cup or nothing.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C

Yep this is just typical loser mentality at its best. It's just like what the Ontario soccer league is doing with under 12 year old teams, not keeping score so everyone can feel good about themselves so there's no "winner". This mentality is destroying today's society, you can even see it in schools where kids get passed regardless of their grades.... No my friend it's cup or bust.

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
Personally I'm not a fan of the soccer way of cups for every single damn thing. They even had a cup for the pre season in North Carolina.

I know it's about pride... But cascadia cup.. Really? 3 teams? Or the nutr lite cup? 3 teams.... Sorry doesn't get me excited.

Cup or nothing.
Nobody takes friendly tournaments seriously. In Scotland in order of merit it's the SPL (Presidents trophy) - Scottish Cup - League Cup - 1st Division - Challenge Cup - Rest of the Leagues.

After that its a bunch of stuff that's very local and nobody cares about. Friendly cups being the very lowest of these.

I'd prefer a balanced schedule and have the league be the biggest award as it relies much less on luck, and if everyone is desperate to win every game it gives a much higher intensity level than the current regular season.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Yep this is just typical loser mentality at its best. It's just like what the Ontario soccer league is doing with under 12 year old teams, not keeping score so everyone can feel good about themselves so there's no "winner". This mentality is destroying today's society, you can even see it in schools where kids get passed regardless of their grades.... No my friend it's cup or bust.

Haha, worst attempt to dramatize this subject I have ever seen. Congrats, that isn't easy to do around this place. So, to paraphrase, you equate any failure to win the cup - despite there being a guaranteed 29 out if 30 losers - as an absolute negative, and make no distinction between being the cup losing team or the team that didn't win 20 games all season and threw in the towel by Christmas? And this is somehow "what is wrong with society"? Dude, please tell me you don't approach everything in life with such black-and-white absurdity. By your standards the second richest man in the world is just as big a loser as the poorest, by virtue of one person being richer. Brilliant stuff truly!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->