Kerfoot?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Because the team wouldn't have a choice, and thus couldn't hold the kid hostage.

Either you offer an entry-level contract by 'X' date or the kids goes UFA.

Okay so the team offers the absolute minimum contract and the player says no. Now what happens?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Okay so the team offers the absolute minimum contract and the player says no. Now what happens?

Compensation based off size of offer?

If bare minimum 7th round pick. If offer is higher then compensation is a higher pick.

Just a thought.

Edit: Though I see the curve on that getting expensive quick.

How bout a minimum ELC for draftees who have gone the 4 year college route that is higher then the standard? So guy takes it, or as BG said, he sits out a year.

Last edited:

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
There's got to be a simple way of making a compensatory pick a possibility. Granted it doesn't ALWAYS happen but it still kinda stinks for the team. Colorado said no to Butcher but we wanted Kerfoot. There can be something done for cases like that where offers are made. I get that ELCs are all the same for the most part but they can figure something out that's fair.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
There's got to be a simple way of making a compensatory pick a possibility. Granted it doesn't ALWAYS happen but it still kinda stinks for the team. Colorado said no to Butcher but we wanted Kerfoot. There can be something done for cases like that where offers are made. I get that ELCs are all the same for the most part but they can figure something out that's fair.

So once you say no, ever, that's it, then? Butcher wanted to leave school last year and Colorado said they wouldn't sign him, but after Patrick Roy left Sakic has been on record saying that they want to sign him. I don't think the Devils would've signed Kerfoot last summer, are they now out of getting compensation?

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
So once you say no, ever, that's it, then? Butcher wanted to leave school last year and Colorado said they wouldn't sign him, but after Patrick Roy left Sakic has been on record saying that they want to sign him. I don't think the Devils would've signed Kerfoot last summer, are they now out of getting compensation?

If the drafted player is offered a contract and turns it down there should be compensation.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
How bout a minimum ELC for draftees who have gone the 4 year college route that is higher then the standard? So guy takes it, or as BG said, he sits out a year.

That's similar to my thought process.

There's really several ways you could structure it, all of which would forbid the team from unfairly holding the player ransom, while simultaneously preventing the draftee from playing a leveraged form of the "dating game" because he decides he doesn't like his original prom date.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

I think that's a pretty fair balancing detail. Giving some power to the player. Team has to make an offer after year 3, in order to get rights in year 4.

Or maybe even better if a player forgoes his eligibility, by declaring, or signing with an agent whatever, and his drafting team does not tender a contract, player is free to go.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
If the drafted player is offered a contract and turns it down there should be compensation.

The CBA is somewhat murky on this, but according to it in order for a team to retain the rights of a collegiate player, the team has to make a Bona Fide offer each year. I don't know if this means a contract or not, but it certainly seems to.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The CBA is somewhat murky on this, but according to it in order for a team to retain the rights of a collegiate player, the team has to make a Bona Fide offer each year. I don't know if this means a contract or not, but it certainly seems to.

From what I understand, they essentially sign what is like a waiver each year. I don't think it's a contract, but more just confirmation that the team owns the rights and the player is going to continue playing.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
From what I understand, they essentially sign what is like a waiver each year. I don't think it's a contract, but more just confirmation that the team owns the rights and the player is going to continue playing.

It's obviously not a contract - that would be likely be illegal under NCAA rules for a player to sign any sort of contract and continue playing college hockey - but it seems like the promise of a potential contract? I'm not sure what it is exactly.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
It's obviously not a contract - that would be likely be illegal under NCAA rules for a player to sign any sort of contract and continue playing college hockey - but it seems like the promise of a potential contract? I'm not sure what it is exactly.

Not sure either. A local kid was drafted recently and that's what I heard he had to do each year.

I guess it's more technical so the team still keeps that player on their 90 man reserves and owns their rights.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
hah so Kerfoot turned down the Devils because we have so many young centreman coming up he would have to compete with

what a chump; basically saying hes not good enough to beat out the competition so would rather go to a **** show where it will be easier for him to make it

bye bye Kerfoot, wont be missed

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
what a chump; basically saying hes not good enough to beat out the competition so would rather go to a **** show where it will be easier for him to make it

Well that's the correct calculus if you're in his shoes.

For a player drafted in the 5th, 6th, 7th round, THIS might be his only legitimate shot at making an NHL roster. So it only makes sense for him to pick the crappiest team which gives him a chance to get on the ice surface and prove he's not entirely out-of-place in the NHL.

So it's smart on his part; I don't think it should be legal, but it's smart.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
hah so Kerfoot turned down the Devils because we have so many young centreman coming up he would have to compete with

bye bye Kerfoot, wont be missed

That's fine on his part, I'm surprised Devils fans weren't smart enough to realize this and spent months getting worked up about a fringe NHL player.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
He isn't wrong though, so I have zero issues with him being honest. He also said all the right things about management and the team.

It just seems weak to me. Like if you're that unconfident in your abilities to beat out players ahead of you it seems soft.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Kerfoot isn't very good. Most people didn't care about him a year ago.

I will say that Bildo wasn't one of those people, he was interested in him a year ago, so I can sympathize with him just a little bit.

Barely anybody else on here really cared about him a year or two ago. He's never even cracked our top 10 prospects (unless I'm mistaken?), even at the time that we had **** all for prospects.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Kerfoot isn't very good. Most people didn't care about him a year ago.

I will say that Bildo wasn't one of those people, he was interested in him a year ago, so I can sympathize with him just a little bit.

Barely anybody else on here really cared about him a year or two ago. He's never even cracked our top 10 prospects (unless I'm mistaken?), even at the time that we had **** all for prospects.

I agree with all of this. I 100% understand that the odds of him succeeding are extremely small and theoretically Colorado gives him a better shot at immediate playing time. I just really dislike that the teams that drafted these guys are sometimes left in the cold with no compensation. I understand they've earned the right so to speak to do it, but it's still not good. He probably amounts to nothing in the NHL but on that small chance he becomes something more than what he's projected at this point would be annoying.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
It just seems weak to me. Like if you're that unconfident in your abilities to beat out players ahead of you it seems soft.

That's because you're not used to players this young actually having a choice about where they go. Junior players just kinda sign with the team that drafted them, it's very rare since 2005 that they are the ones passing on signing.

All it would take for Kerfoot to fall entirely out of favor here is a slow start, and then the Devils own his rights for 4 more years after this coming season. There's so many other centers here now, most of whom were drafted higher, and most of whom were drafted when Shero was around, unlike Kerfoot.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
So we traded our 2012 5th round pick for Colorado"s 2012 6th round pick and we won.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
So we traded our 2012 5th round pick for Colorado"s 2012 6th round pick and we won.

Seems early to declare a "winner" when Kerfoot hasn't even stepped on the ice after signing his contract.

I hope the kid does well. The league (and fans) benefit from more good players.

Kerfoot wasn't a good fit here, so its makes sense from both sides for him to go elsewhere. The Devils don't need to waste a contract slot on someone with little / no future on the team, and he gets to go advance his career.

I'd really like it if the Devils sign Butcher. I know people aren't particularly high on him either, but at this point, I'll take more lottery tickets for our LD.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
I have no ill will towards him. He made the right choice. Go to a team weaker at the center position and hope to make it there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad