Kerfoot?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
A player like Kerfoot shouldn't be looking at who's winning - all that matters is opportunity. A lot of guys like him never really get a shot in the NHL.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
There's a giant difference. CHL players go back into the draft and NCAA players don't; this isn't hard. Ultimately, yes, it all comes out the same after 4 years, but to ignore that A: most CHL players that end up drafted are eligible to be re-drafted if unsigned and B: re-drafts are quite rare, whereas these August 15th signings are less so - I'd say there's maybe one re-draft a year, and maybe 5 August 15th UFA ELC signings C: CHL players cannot stay there past their 21st birthday whereas drafted college players generally stay until they are between 21-23 if they go all 4 years - and yeah, there's a major difference.

Again, why does that make drafting NCAA guys somehow a challenge (or whatever verbiage you used)? You stated that NCAA guys have buddies that they want to go play with. As I said initially, CHL guys don't have friends that they'd want to play with like NCAA guys? Your initial point I responded to makes zero sense and nothing you wrote here really does much to reinforce it.

Frankly, if anything, NCAA prospects are less of a risk to draft since you have upwards of four years to monitor the player's development. Whether they have friends or not is pretty much meaningless.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Again, why does that make drafting NCAA guys somehow a challenge (or whatever verbiage you used)? You stated that NCAA guys have buddies that they want to go play with. As I said initially, CHL guys don't have friends that they'd want to play with like NCAA guys? Your initial point I responded to makes zero sense and nothing you wrote here really does much to reinforce it.

I guess you should go back and respond to whoever wrote that, because it sure wasn't me.

Merrills Marauders

Jul 20, 2011
New Jersey
Again, why does that make drafting NCAA guys somehow a challenge (or whatever verbiage you used)? You stated that NCAA guys have buddies that they want to go play with. Again, CHL guys don't? Your initial point I responded to makes zero sense.

I think he's saying that of course they have buddies, but that CHL guys don't have the option after 4 years to automatically sign with their friends; they'd have to reenter the draft.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I guess you should go back and respond to whoever wrote that, because it sure wasn't me.

Sorry, for some reason you responded to me and wrote this:

"CHL players who don't sign go back into the draft. If they're any good, they get drafted again. The Devils once drafted the same guy twice."

Which makes no sense to me at all since my initial response was about someone indicating that a player having friends made them a risk to draft. No clue why you responded to me in the first place, frankly, if you weren't endorsing that view.

Your response is about as far away from what a normal response to "Why? CHL prospects don’t have friends?" would be considering the initial point of the poster I confused as you was that NCAA players are somehow draft risks due to having friends.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I think he's saying that of course they have buddies, but that CHL guys don't have the option after 4 years to automatically sign with their friends; they'd have to reenter the draft.

. . . and so what? Re-entering the draft is kinda meaningless in the scheme of things if the plan is to go UFA and play with your buddies. It's not like a player would have to go through forced surgery or to prison or something to get that right.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Phew thank goodness anyone but the big bad Rangers. I wonder what Dano's thoughts on this are?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Sorry, for some reason you responded to me and wrote this:

"CHL players who don't sign go back into the draft. If they're any good, they get drafted again. The Devils once drafted the same guy twice."

Which makes no sense to me at all since my initial response was about someone indicating that a player having friends made them a risk to draft. No clue why you responded to me in the first place, frankly, if you weren't endorsing that view.

Your response is about as far away from what a normal response to "Why? CHL prospects donÂ’t have friends?" would be considering the initial point of the poster I confused as you was that NCAA players are somehow draft risks due to having friends.

You're in six figures posts-wise here so surely you're acquainted with logic. Let's follow the logic train, shall we?

Poster A makes silly point about college buddies that contains a larger point about NCAA players being able to choose their destination.

You ask 'Don't CHL players have friends?' as if to say 'What's different about them and NCAA players?'

I respond to that perceived query with my post which explains the difference, not realizing you already know the difference, then you jump in and 'well, actually' respond to that point as if the vast majority of CHL draftees aren't eligible for a redraft. It was a nice re-education on the finer points of the CBA but not really what the main focus of the conversation was at all.

Now we're here. That's it.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He was looking for a quicker path to the NHL. He probably figured there were quite a few guys ahead of him. Colorado's center depth a little bit more wide open, especially if they deal Matt Duchene. Taking a step back, I think we can understand the financial motivation to make 925K in the NHL versus 70K in the AHL (and yes, Kerfoot does come from an affluent family).

By the same token I don't understand why Vegas wasn't more of a consideration for him, unless they just didn't want him?

Merrills Marauders

Jul 20, 2011
New Jersey
By the same token I don't understand why Vegas wasn't more of a consideration for him, unless they just didn't want him?

I was thinking the same - however I think Colorado might be a softer landing spot believe it or not, with a similar chance of cracking the NHL roster from the start. Maybe living in or near Vegas might be a daunting ask for a 23 year old rookie.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Colorado's 6th round pick from 2012 signed with us, so I guess it's fair that our 5th round pick from 2012 signs with them.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Colorado's 6th round pick from 2012 signed with us, so I guess it's fair that our 5th round pick from 2012 signs with them.

I knew of the Blandisi irony but didn't realize they were from the same draft on top of it. So guess this was the perfect scenario then if he had to walk. And I'll take Blandisi over Kerfoot.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's also amazing that a couple years ago Colorado was supposed to have all these great young forwards and now it's seen as a place where Kerfoot can get quick advancement - albeit they probably have another trade or two coming.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Until we see Kerfoot in the NHL its hard to compare them.

I don't think Blandisi is in our long term plans.

Blender has been given a legit oppurtunity here. He's performed OK. He has skills, but some warts as well. I think the team will give him a shot and keep an open mind.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Colorado's depth chart is a mess. He has a better chance to play there

I keep reading this, and then I compare it to Colorado's forwards on paper:

Nathan MacKinnon
Gabriel Landeskog
Matt Duchene
Mikko Rantanen
Sven Andrighetto
Tyson Jost
JT Compher
Colin Wilson
Karl Soderberg
Blake Comeau
Nail Yakupov
Matt Nieto

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

Nathan MacKinnon
Gabriel Landeskog
Matt Duchene
Mikko Rantanen
Sven Andrighetto
Tyson Jost
JT Compher
Colin Wilso,n
Karl Soderberg
Blake Comeau
Nail Yakupov
Matt Nieto

Agree with you, their forward corps is not bad, quite good actually

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Why would a team let a player who could be an asset to someone else go free?

Because the team wouldn't have a choice, and thus couldn't hold the kid hostage.

Either you offer an entry-level contract by 'X' date or the kids goes UFA.

In turn....

The kid either signs that entry-level contract, or he sits out another year post college graduation before becoming a UFA.

Those rules would greatly cut down on these silly situation.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Nathan MacKinnon
Gabriel Landeskog
Matt Duchene
Mikko Rantanen
Sven Andrighetto
Tyson Jost
JT Compher
Colin Wilson
Karl Soderberg
Blake Comeau
Nail Yakupov
Matt Nieto

Where are the centers on here?

Here's the people who won the most faceoffs for Colorado last year:

MacKinnon, Duchene, Soderberg, Mitchell, Comeau, Grigorenko, Compher

Mitchell and Grigorenko are gone. Jost might be a center, he might not. Compher same deal. Colin Wilson hasn't played center regularly in 3 years. Comeau's only been used as a center by the Avs, the rest of his career he's been a winger.

The minor leagues don't offer up a ton of centers for the Avs either. Rocco Grimaldi is there but he managed only 4 games for the Avs last year.

It's not implausible that Kerfoot could be 5th or 6th on Colorado's depth chart for centers by season's end. Indeed, some of these players will probably be traded before the season's over - Duchene has been rumored to go for forever, Comeau's UFA, Soderberg's been horrid so his position there isn't certain.

It's not where I would've predicted him to go, but it doesn't not make sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad