Kerfoot?

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
Are you guys signing this kid.

Played at Harvard...don't see him in any of your top prospect rankings...just curious what the consensus is on him.

Think he was a 5th rounder 3-4 years ago...

Cheers!

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Are you guys signing this kid.

Played at Harvard...don't see him in any of your top prospect rankings...just curious what the consensus is on him.

Think he was a 5th rounder 3-4 years ago...

Cheers!

99% sure we're not signing him. seems like a decent player, but i'd be surprised if he gets 200 games at the nhl level. from what i've seen, he doesn't really excel at anything, but he could still be a useful 3rd liner i suppose

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
https://sports.yahoo.com/learned-will-butcher-sweepstakes-begins-140510291.html

(Worth noting here, too, that Vesey’s old Harvard teammate Alex Kerfoot is also a pending UFA after refusing to sign with the Devils, but he looks to me a lot more like an AHL guy for a few years at least; teams should look to sign him because he helps the organization, but he’s not making an NHL impact for a while, if ever. Only one NCAA season with a double-digit goal total, he’s also 23, etc.)

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Completely forgot about him to be honest and completely forgot that tomorrow is the day he can sign anywhere. Almost 100% positive he's gone and almost positive he'll go to Vancouver.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Completely forgot about him to be honest and completely forgot that tomorrow is the day he can sign anywhere. Almost 100% positive he's gone and almost positive he'll go to Vancouver.

Vancouver said they're not signing him or something a week or so ago iirc. Something about him not having a clear path to making the NHL roster. My money is on Vegas.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Don't remember who it was, but I think Friedman reported he isn't going there. Seems like he wants to go somewhere where he has a good opportunity to play. Devils center position is pretty packed right now.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Don't remember who it was, but I think Friedman reported he isn't going there. Seems like he wants to go somewhere where he has a good opportunity to play. Devils center position is pretty packed right now.

Vancouver said they're not signing him or something a week or so ago iirc. Something about him not having a clear path to making the NHL roster. My money is on Vegas.

Shows how much I've been paying attention to this situation lol

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Yeah, the best place for a guy like Kerfoot to go if he wants the easiest path to the NHL is Vegas, and it isn't close. They really don't have players like him around - waiver-ineligible 23 year olds who might be NHL quality. Everyone else in the league does.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
It's good for Kerfoot to sign with Vegas.
Howrver, its a shame that we won't obtain anything in return for one of our assets.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
If we lost Butcher and sign Kerfoot, I'd take that trade any day of the week.

Supposedly according to Wyshynski (spelling), Butcher wanted to turn pro after his junior year, Colorado basically said "no we don't want to sign you now," and he is spurning them now because he can.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If we lost Butcher and sign Kerfoot, I'd take that trade any day of the week.

Supposedly according to Wyshynski (spelling), Butcher wanted to turn pro after his junior year, Colorado basically said "no we don't want to sign you now," and he is spurning them now because he can.

Apparently more then a few scouts think Butcher won't amount to anything. Free asset and all so whatever, but some need to pump the breaks in thinking he will amount to anything.

Merrills Marauders

Jul 20, 2011
New Jersey
Apparently more then a few scouts think Butcher won't amount to anything. Free asset and all so whatever, but some need to pump the breaks in thinking he will amount to anything.

But on the flip side, I've read more than one article saying he's got NHL potential, and that puck daddy article claiming he's as good if not better than where Vesey was last year. So, if anyone wanted Vesey last year you definitely want Butcher this year.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010

Yea, I'm not against signing him, but he could be Matt Gilroy and just not turn into anything.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I've read in a couple places that Butcher's skating is what will hold him back from being an NHL regular, so I don't know if that factors in given our focus on speed. Either way I don't really care. It seems like 90% of these guys just end up being AHL players anyway.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Butcher isn't signing here anyway. I don't know why we even discuss it.

i dont know why he wouldn't consider it. we have one of the worst 6 defenseman in the league, one of the better forward prospect pools in the league, and a lot of cap space. i would think that to young free agents, the devils are a team you buy low on now, with the chances of a high payoff later.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I here the Rags are interested since they're a bit week down the middle. If Kerfoot can help out as their 4th line center, they won't have to rush their top prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: