Kerfoot?

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
So you think NJ should not try and sign Butcher & Byron then?

I'm not talking about which team does or doesnt do 'X', I'm talking about the NHL rule in general which governs all NHL teams.

So what happens to a kid when a team doesn't want to sign him after four years like the 25+ other prospects draft picks that turned UFA? They'd have the leverage to bully them into signing an AHL deal, trade them wherever they want, or force them to go overseas.

No!

If the team DOESNT want to sign him, then he's free to be a UFA. Simple.

I'm only talking about these instances where a team drafts a player, the team wants to sign their player, and the player says, "nah, I don't want to play in that town".

Should we not draft any Russians because of the KHL while we're at it?

It's something every GM thinks about. If you take a look at draft results from the last 'X' number of years, numerous Russian players have fallen from where they "should" be picked in true risk/reward fashion. The risk is there.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I

I'm only talking about these instances where a team drafts a player, the team wants to sign their player, and the player says, "nah, I don't want to play in that town".

Why would a team let a player who could be an asset to someone else go free? Likewise what is to prevent teams from offering the minimum ELC to college players because their choice is either to sign that deal or to go play in Europe?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Why would a team let a player who could be an asset to someone else go free? Likewise what is to prevent teams from offering the minimum ELC to college players because their choice is either to sign that deal or to go play in Europe?

How many players after the first round really get anything OTHER than the minimum ELC?

And the player can still have FA for all I care but compensate the team if they make an attempt to sign him.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
How many players after the first round really get anything OTHER than the minimum ELC?

If I had to ballpark a figure I would say almost all of them. I can't find the amount right now but the minimum a player can make in the minors is either the AHL minimum or $35,000. I rarely see players being paid less than $50,000 a year on ELCs. Basically no one gets a minimum contract.

And the player can still have FA for all I care but compensate the team if they make an attempt to sign him.

This has problems I've discussed up the thread. What constitutes an attempt to sign?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

The current compensation for not signing first round picks is the same pick in the second round.

What would be the compensation for a sixth round pick like Kerfoot. Would it be a 7th round pick 6 years removed from the year Kerfoot was drafted? What good would that do to the Devils?

If you start to compensate every drafted college player, then what happens to all the CHL players that are picked and don't get signed?

There's a big can of worms around these types of UFAs and it's a rather small problem. Like I said, most of them are marginal talents aside from the occasional Hayes or Schultz.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
What if Kerfoot never plays an NHL game - Is he still worth receiving compensation?

What if the Devils value a 7th round pick above Kerfoot? It will get to a point where teams intentionally do not sign players just so they can get the move valuable draft pick.

Overall a bad situation for the players who dedicated lots of time to hockey due to them being drafted.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
And that is just it. These aren't high picks walking out.

Any college player really worth their salt sign early and leave college. It is extremely rare for a high talent prospect to stay four years and do this.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
CHL players who don't sign go back into the draft. If they're any good, they get drafted again. The Devils once drafted the same guy twice.

That's not really at all how it works.

First and foremost, whether a player is eligible for a second draft is age-dependent. You may only enter the draft a second time after not being signed if you are younger than 21.

Secondly, teams also only maintain CHL rights for two years instead of four for NCAA players. CHL players become UFAs after their second draft.

So, as I hinted at, the same FA rules apply for both CHL players and NCAA players in that, generally speaking, they will become a UFA after four years (two years + two years for CHL players and four years for NCAA players).

There are some nuances in there that won't make that the same for every prospect, but that's the general rule.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
No!

So drafted players should have zero say in where they play until they satisfy the required unrestricted free agency period (well, the one that would occur after the current unrestricted free agency period that you seem to dislike)?

Interesting.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
That's not really at all how it works.

First and foremost, whether a player is eligible for a second draft is age-dependent. You may only enter the draft a second time after not being signed if you are younger than 21.

Secondly, teams also only maintain CHL rights for two years instead of four for NCAA players. CHL players become UFAs after their second draft.

So, as I hinted at, the same FA rules apply for both CHL players and NCAA players in that, generally speaking, they will become a UFA after four years (two years + two years for CHL players and four years for NCAA players).

There are some nuances in there that won't make that the same for every prospect, but that's the general rule.

I think he knows that. In the majority of cases, OHL players are drafted in their draft year and if they aren't signed, have a chance to go back into the draft.

Only when a guy is drafted in his draft +1 year, like Myles Bell, are they really at the mercy of the team that selected them. Bell was essentially strong-armed into an AHL deal by Lou and his options were limited.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Wow I'm actually baffled at that decision. I thought he was blowing us off because we're rebuilding. Turns out to be the opposite haha.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Funny thing about NYR is they probably had a camera crew on standby to start his "Beginnings" episode so they could once again create the fake news that everything and everyone associated with them is amazing.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I think he knows that. In the majority of cases, OHL players are drafted in their draft year and if they aren't signed, have a chance to go back into the draft.

Only when a guy is drafted in his draft +1 year, like Myles Bell, are they really at the mercy of the team that selected them. Bell was essentially strong-armed into an AHL deal by Lou and his options were limited.

Would make his initial point pretty off, then. There's not some major difference between how CHL and NCAA prospects are handled in terms of time before UFA. I see no reason why "this should raise some concerns with kids coming out of college hockey to get drafted." It's, as I said, he's saying that only NCAA teams have friends. It's a strange take.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Would make his initial point pretty off, then. There's not some major difference between how CHL and NCAA prospects are handled in terms of time before UFA.

There's a giant difference. CHL players go back into the draft and NCAA players don't; this isn't hard. Ultimately, yes, it all comes out the same after 4 years, but to ignore that A: most CHL players that end up drafted are eligible to be re-drafted if unsigned and B: re-drafts are quite rare, whereas these August 15th signings are less so - I'd say there's maybe one re-draft a year, and maybe 5 August 15th UFA ELC signings C: CHL players cannot stay there past their 21st birthday whereas drafted college players generally stay until they are between 21-23 if they go all 4 years - and yeah, there's a major difference.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I think Kerfoot just didn't see an opportunity with the Devils. We do have a ton of young forwards competing for spots. He must believe all of those guys are better than he is? idk

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Wow I'm actually baffled at that decision. I thought he was blowing us off because we're rebuilding. Turns out to be the opposite haha.

He was looking for a quicker path to the NHL. He probably figured there were quite a few guys ahead of him. Colorado's center depth a little bit more wide open, especially if they deal Matt Duchene. Taking a step back, I think we can understand the financial motivation to make 925K in the NHL versus 70K in the AHL (and yes, Kerfoot does come from an affluent family).

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
WQO8QMi.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad