Agostino-Spezza-Korshkov
Gauthier (rotate 4th line as needed)

Rielly-Ceci
Muzzin-Barrie
Sandin-Marincin
Gravel

Andersen
Hutch

I don't know if Liljegren is cap manipulation or not but he doesn't look ready at all.

Reactions: dsred

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Ok, so this will be the roster opening night then? Does this work with the current cap? What happens when Dermott and Hyman return. Who likely goes, Marancin, Shore and Holl?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I probably would have rolled with this;

Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Kapanen-Tavares-Marner
Mikhyev-Kerfoot-Moore
Agostino-Spezza-Korshkov
Gauthier (rotate 4th line as needed)

Rielly-Ceci
Muzzin-Barrie
Sandin-Marincin
Gravel

Andersen
Hutch

I don't know if Liljegren is cap manipulation or not but he doesn't look ready at all.

Lilj looks ready.

Reactions: Morgs

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Interesting decisions. Did not expect some of them. Very happy for Timashov though. I've always liked him since the 2015 draft.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Liljegren was the Marlies best defensive D in the playoffs last spring.

It isn’t saying much but I’d trust him more than Marincin.

Yeah, key words: last spring

I hate Marincin as much as the next guy, but Lilly has been disappointing in the pre-season. Sandman and Marincin have clearly gelled and look comfortable out there (at least so far).

Not fair to Lilly to just drop him into the fire considering he's shown no confidence; he should be sent down and allowed to further season with the Marlies until he's fully ready because there will be no option next year - we definitely will need him up.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site

I hate Marincin as much as the next guy, but Lilly has been disappointing in the pre-season. Sandman and Marincin have clearly gelled and look comfortable out there (at least so far).

Not fair to Lilly to just drop him into the fire considering he's shown no confidence; he should be sent down and allowed to further season with the Marlies until he's fully ready because there will be no option next year - we definitely will need him up.

The leafs brass is obviously placing some weight on his AHL playoff performance.

He was paired with Harpur in the pre-season games who would make anyone look bad.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

I think Liljegren is just getting rewarded with good Marlies play the past couple years. He's going to likely get sent down once Dermott returns, and in the meantime can get an NHL paycheck.

Reactions: ACC1224

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Leafs and Marlies are going to both have monster seasons this year. Too much talent to go around.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I am very happy that Llijegren made the team. I would pair him with Sandin and see what happens. Nothing to lose to start the season. Against smaller teams its Sandin-Llijegren. Against bigger teams its Sandin-Marincin. This of course until Dermott comes back. But you give Lilly a shot in the NHL to gain experience.

Keeping him up for the sake of a spare D is dumb. He plays or goes down.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

What does he have to do? He was a net positive to the team statistically. He was sound defensively. He skates extremely well. If I didn't know better I would say Babs had him hold back and play the simple game. You know Babs even did that with Rielly before swapping with Jake and green lighting him.

If you guys are scouts or casual observers coaches or whatever. I assume a lot here are involved in the sport to some degree, what was he missing? What was the problem?

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
4th line of Shore-Spezza-Gauthier is intriguing.

Big line that can skate and play defense along with PK. All can take draws in a pinch.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I'm not convinced this means Liljegren made the team.

This may have to do with balancing the salary cap to make sure they can get full value out of putting Horton and Clarkson on LTIR.

Until Wednesday night roles around, I wouldn't be so confident that Liljegren has made it.
I dont see why you would assume he isnt going to be on the opening night roster? He will probably stick around until Dermott comes back and then be sent down.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Not overly surprised. I think you could flip a coin on many of the players.

Timashov and Shore over Agostino and Petan. Marincin over Gravel. I'm slightly surprised Shore survived the cut despite not really standing out but he was underrated when he did play. I also think being a natural center helps a lot his case.

I'm happy Liljegren will get a chance to start with the Leafs. He's been very solid.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Timashov looked worse than Agostino, Korshkov, and Petan to me...

He looked the best out of those 4 by far to me. The guy was great all preseason. Korshkov was slow to start and then kind of made it close to Timashov's level at the end. Agostino and Petan have 2 year contracts, meaning they likely won't get claimed, and even then Timashov was better than both.

I'm more surprised that one of them did not stick over Shore TBH. I guess they like Shore's flexibility to play on the wing and at center, as he did throughout the preseason. He should be the 13th forward so he'll be on waivers as soon as Hyman comes back.

Reactions: Cpt Maple Leaf

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Timashov and Shore can kill penalties.

Korshkov will be the first call up for a fourth line role. He was sent down because he’s waiver eligible.

Read seems to be the better overall player. Feels like there will be a rotation from the Marlies to the Leafs when it comes to the 12 and 13th forwards.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'm not convinced this means Liljegren made the team.

This may have to do with balancing the salary cap to make sure they can get full value out of putting Horton and Clarkson on LTIR.

Until Wednesday night roles around, I wouldn't be so confident that Liljegren has made it.

Dregs suggested Babs wants 4 D pairs to match against 4 forward lines in practice.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Not overly surprised. I think you could flip a coin on many of the players.

Timashov and Shore over Agostino and Petan. Marincin over Gravel. I'm slightly surprised Shore survived the cut despite not really standing out but he was underrated when he did play. I also think being a natural center helps a lot his case.

I'm happy Liljegren will get a chance to start with the Leafs. He's been very solid.

Correct me if I am wrong but Sandin is in for Dermott specifically in his spot. That pretty much means when Dermott is back Sandin is down. Lilj and Marincin are up and I don't think its a temp think. Lilj made this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad