OT: kelly sutherland beef with Canucks?

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
Seems to me the large powerplay discrepancy was because the Sharks embellished, a lot. but hey, it worked for them. Their PP was lethal.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
a change as in what? getting rid of players? that won't change anything. getting rid of management? that won't change anything.

Sure it will. Change a good chunk of the roster, the coach, and come to terms with the fact that whining about refs has a negative impact almost always.

It may take a while, but if they change their ways (I think they've started to), they will start to be treated normally again.

The Canucks made some big mistakes when it comes to dealing with referees and they've paid dearly for it. It's not soley the reason they lost, but like it or not it was a majour factor. You can't win with a PP differential like that. You just can't.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
under bettman, the refs rarely never do that. i think some refs learn teh tendencies of certain players and are willing to call them. say burrows/or whoever.

Then its fair to call them unprofessional and biased...two words that shouldn't be synonymous with referees.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Seems to me the large powerplay discrepancy was because the Sharks embellished, a lot. but hey, it worked for them. Their PP was lethal.

Wow I wish people were so forgiving of embellishment and winning on the PP when the Canucks did it... Instead they were attacked and villified for winning the exact same way San Jose did... Funny how that works...

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
Maybe SJS will only do it to us because for what happened in 2011. Who knows maybe their a clean team just not against us.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I'm not really whining though. I just think there is no place in the NHL for unprofessional officials that act childish.

Like I said, I wanted them to lose so changes happen.

I wanted them to win 16 playoff games. I guess fans want different things.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Maybe SJS will only do it to us because for what happened in 2011. Who knows maybe their a clean team just not against us.

not a chance.. They are addicted like crack heads, especially since it worked for them. I do expect them to get called for diving against other teams though.

Hal 9000*

Sutherland is from Richmond, Vancouver. He is just trying too hard not look like he is biased for his home town team that he makes call tougher on Vancouver.

Wasn't there ref from Port Alberni (I think), that was also pretty tough on the Canucks?

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011

The thing is that everyone in the building can tell when these extremely over dramatic dives are going on. We can all see it. The refs are just waiting for a reason to call a penalty on the canucks, especially in this series. When the Sharks are diving all over the place, they know it, but they are calling penalties on the Canucks because they are biased. They know the majority of them are dives. They just plead innocence.'Me? He went down. He was obviously hurt badly'

If a Canuck dives, 'ZOMGZ GIVE HIM A penalty for diving!!'

The bias is loud and clear. The refs aren't Pejorative Slured. They know an overdramatic dive when they see it. Corrupt. Disgusting. I hate this ****ing league.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Some more quotes...
Ryan Clalalassic ‏@ryanclassic 16h
Daniel Sedin was given 4 PIMs in a game twice this regular season. Kelly Sutherland was a referee in both of them.

And Kyro who seems to have been poring over the stats sheets lately:
Kevin Kyro ‏@KevinKyro 16h
15/16 playoff games Canucks have had the 2nd most PP's in those games.
8 of those games Kelly Sutherland officiated in.
Canucks at no point this season had more than a total 12 min diff in PP time over a 4 game span. 30 minute difference for SJ in this series
I've got back 20 years looking at scoresheets. No playoff series has a bigger diff than 10 min in PP time, let alone 30.
Kevin Kyro ‏@KevinKyro 12h
@patersonjeff @TEAM1040 still yet to find another series with a 30 min PP diff. Been looking all night.
@Coreyoke1im looking at box scores from the 70's, and i still can't find another series with such a PP difference
Kevin Kyro ‏@KevinKyro 3h
I am not letting it go, b/c it's an NHL record of PP differential in a series, and it only took 4 GAMES to achieve that record

Dado

Right, so we're on another ref witch hunt.

Great.

At some point we should accept that fact that the common denominator in "it keeps happening to us" is, in fact, "us".

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
Yea...the officiating needs to be looked into, especially this mother****er Kelly Sutherland. 30 minute pp time differential...I can't believe it was that much...

I don't care how many more refs come after him and do the same thing. We should not stop until every one of those ***** ****ers are fired. This refereeing of hockey should not be based on personal feelings especially at the NHL. Its an embarrassment to the game if each time a team plays they have suck to the ****ing refs in order to have a fair game.

Though I still think we would have lost this series even if the pp time was evenly spread.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
To be fair, we were much more undisciplined than the Sharks, this was obvious. I don't know to the extent of the penalties, but we deserved to get more calls against us.

bad calls happen, I don't buy a conspiracy

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Some more quotes...

And Kyro who seems to have been poring over the stats sheets lately:

I wondered about this actually. I could not remember a bigger discrepancy off the top of my head, so it's interesting to see if a new NHL record was indeed set.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
First of all, Bieksa's penalty was not that bad. He is a MORON for doing what he did. Call it questionable all you want, he pushed the guy from behind when he was 2' from the boards. Reasonable penalty! Why did he need to do that? He didn't, and he shouldn't have. Unbelievably stupid penalty by an alleged veteran leader.

Second of all, victory? Huh? You really think the Canucks deserved to win last night? Come on. Total crap. Canucks showed up for 1 period, that's it. The game would've been over in the 1st had Raymond not have gotten that fluke goal.
You have never played hockey on ice before have you?

Bieksa barely touched him and he fell, clear dive.

The officiating was a travesty. Of course it will be a topic.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Right, so we're on another ref witch hunt.

Great.

At some point we should accept that fact that the common denominator in "it keeps happening to us" is, in fact, "us".

If bulk of the problem lies with the team - isn't that a greater indictment on the coach? (eg., gameplan/lack of discipline - AV's "favourites" tend to be the ones that get on the wrong side of the refs)?

You have never played hockey on ice before have you?

Not fair to criticize a person who can't play hockey because they lost their glasses.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Do you guys really think that differential is a coincidence or deserved... of course not.

That reffing was years of embellishing, calling out a ref by name, the Auger thing, Mike Gillis presser about having a ''fair playing field'' we constantly feud with refs and whine to the media and dive all over the place.

We finally got it handed to us.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Do you guys really think that differential is a coincidence or deserved... of course not.

That reffing was years of embellishing, calling out a ref by name, the Auger thing, Mike Gillis presser about having a ''fair playing field'' we constantly feud with refs and whine to the media and dive all over the place.

We finally got it handed to us.

And where is that ref now btw? Right, out of the league because he wasn't good at his job. Gillis' mistake was complaining in public - should've done it behind closed doors.

Dado

Last playoffs, Philly managed to wrack up 28 more PP minutes than their opponent over a three game span. And that's the first series I looked at.

Mr. K is cherry picking stats.

Oh, and by the way, Philly won the series.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
^ Flyers won because Fleury was horse **** in the post-season that year - not like he's changed this season by the looks of it.:laugh:

Talk about extremes - either Fleury is "lights out good" or "Cloutier on a bad day bad".

Castle1*

league is and will always be a ****ing joke as long as bettman is in charge.

The way the league is run and the way the refs supposedly enforce the rules in the playoffs is quite suspect. It does make one wonder if there is some unpublished agenda.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad