OT: kelly sutherland beef with Canucks?

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Here's the thing that really gets me.

Yes, the Canucks have a reputation, and yes, they have earned that reputation to some degree.

But those who watch the Canucks on a regular basis are pretty much unanimous that the team has improved leaps and bounds in these areas. Diving, embellishment, and complaining have all been seen much less than in the past. All players have improved in this regard, with some seeming to cut it out entirely (Burrows).

And yet, have we been rewarded in any way for this improvement? No. So why did we bother moving on from that style of play that everyone else hated so much? Where is the incentive?

Not only were we not rewarded for this, we watched the San Jose Sharks use those same tactics we were hated for and achieve success with them. Yes, we deserved to lose the series, no doubt. But this particular aspect is very frustrating as a fan.

more proof it goes much deeper than "embellishment"

many teams embellish calls...

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
Well, based off everything we have seen, Kelly Sutherland is either blatantly incompetent or officiating games with a personal bias against the Canucks.

Either way, this monkey has clearly proven that he should not be officiating professional hockey games. How many opportunities does this POS get before the league demands some accountability?

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
A short list;

Game 2, WCF, 2011
- Ben Eager - noted for being a goon - clobbers Daniel Sedin with a hit from a behind that could have ended much worse than it did. Two minute minor,

Game 6, SCF, 2011
- Marchand/Daniel incident.

Last season:
- Duncan Keith elbows Daniel Sedin in the face with a blatant headshot. Somehow not ejected from the game.

This season:
- Gives Vigneault that weak penalty for shouting "that's an elbow"
- On yet another Daniel Sedin play, calls him for boarding (yeah...right)

Every single one of these instances was reffed by the same guy: Kelly Sutherland. At the very least, the optics are terrible.

it almost seems like Mr Sutherland has meetings with the apposing team to explain how its no holds barred...

King of the ES*

Team1040's Content Today - Brutal

I have literally just listened to roughly 8 hours of belly-aching and conspiracy theories on the Team1040.

The team gets swept, as the 3rd seed, and the only thing they care about is the calls on Sedin & Bieksa. Nevermind that they really didn't show up for more than 2 periods, nevermind that they were being completely owned in OT and it was probably on the verge of ending at the ES level anyway, nevermind that the series was littered with idiotic penalties by the Canucks throughout, LET'S BLAME THE REFS.

Completely ludicrous. These guys embarrassed themselves and the ref making a questionable call should not divert attention from it.

SHAME ON YOU, TEAM 1040.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
It was mostly matt sekeres, he said he would talk mostly about the reffing on his show, and bmac and taylor mostly about the offseason

RoyalRed

Apr 8, 2013
It's either that or they go on ad nauseum about how the Sedins didn't show up, about the team's yearly struggles to score in the playoffs or about AV's wacky decisions.

At the end of the day, the problem is there really is nothing to talk about with this team. It's the same story every year. I'd rather them just move on from hockey altogether.

digger18

Feb 23, 2009
Williams Lake B.C.
The only person who can be blamed for the Late questionable penalty on Bieksa, and the brutal Sedin boarding call in OT is Kevin Bieksa. He embarrased the officials on live TV with his Monday whine fest about the sharks getting away with too much embellisment. Its called Karma. This is why the NHL is full of cliche interviews....Its not because the organizations around the league want player interviews to be boring, they simply dont want players running their mouths like that, which in turn ends up hurting the club! I really am shocked that this issue hasnt brought up, during all the snivelling going on about the officiating.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
It was mostly matt sekeres, he said he would talk mostly about the reffing on his show, and bmac and taylor mostly about the offseason

Sekeres was talking about the game and the reffing as it was a talking point. Starting tomorrow you'll see him get going on the offseason talk more.

peanutflower

Jun 5, 2011
Yup. I think most Canucks fans are realizing that any hatred brought on by the refs is self-inflicted. Burrows incident basically led to the banishment of one of their bortherhood. Then you have our GMs calling them out, diving reputation and interviews calling out the refs every year.

They hate us. There's a reason for that. Time for change.

a change as in what? getting rid of players? that won't change anything. getting rid of management? that won't change anything.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Those two borderline calls turned a game 4 victory into defeat. Of course they are going to harp on it. The officiating was terrible for the entire series, and it's not just a conspiracy against the Canucks. It's bad in other series too. The quality of officiating has backslid greatly. It's pretty hard to ignore the Sutherland factor here too.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Those two borderline calls turned a game 4 victory into defeat. Of course they are going to harp on it. The officiating was terrible for the entire series, and it's not just a conspiracy against the Canucks. It's bad in other series too. The quality of officiating has backslid greatly. It's pretty hard to ignore the Sutherland factor here too.

Agreed, and it's not like the offseason potential moves aren't going to get discussed and argued and over talked about from now till the draft and July 1.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
Yes he talked about the reffing, but he also stated that is NOT why they lost the series. He made that pretty clear.

King of the ES*

First of all, Bieksa's penalty was not that bad. He is a MORON for doing what he did. Call it questionable all you want, he pushed the guy from behind when he was 2' from the boards. Reasonable penalty! Why did he need to do that? He didn't, and he shouldn't have. Unbelievably stupid penalty by an alleged veteran leader.

Second of all, victory? Huh? You really think the Canucks deserved to win last night? Come on. Total crap. Canucks showed up for 1 period, that's it. The game would've been over in the 1st had Raymond not have gotten that fluke goal.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006

I don't disagree at all, but God forbid this team could kill a penalty.

The other things that pissed me off were:

- Schneider not being able to corral an easy shot from the blueline, and have no idea where the rebound was.

- None of the 3 Canucks in front of Schneider tying up Marleau or obstructing him as he was racing towards the net. They were all watching Cory flub the save.

- The Canucks lack of discipline and not realizing that the team that forechecks harder is the one that usually gets most of the calls.

digger18

Feb 23, 2009
Williams Lake B.C.
First of all, Bieksa's penalty was not that bad. He is a MORON for doing what he did. Call it questionable all you want, he pushed the guy from behind when he was 2' from the boards. Reasonable penalty! Why did he need to do that? He didn't, and he shouldn't have. Unbelievably stupid penalty by an alleged veteran leader.

Second of all, victory? Huh? You really think the Canucks deserved to win last night? Come on. Total crap. Canucks showed up for 1 period, that's it. The game would've been over in the 1st had Raymond not have gotten that fluke goal.

From my perspective it appeared Bieksa barely touched Wingels, and he dove into the boards, but I dont get paid to offical so. I doubt the call gets made, had Bieksa just remained quiet about officiating leading up to the game.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I think you may have accidently posted an email you meant to send to Team 1040 listener feedback on the HFBoards Canucks section. Seriously what do you expect? Unnecessary thread that seems to be a veiled troll attempt.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
from cdc. What Dave Tomlinson said on team1040 was pretty interesting.

- Him and Sutherland were friends exchanged texts, that all stopped after the 2011 Final which Sutherland reffed
- Tomlinson said the way Sutherland reffed that series turned his stomach, he stopped keeping in touch with Sutherland
- Says it was strange how Sutherland was reffing the game and Bettman was present in the Shark Tank aswell

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Yup. I think most Canucks fans are realizing that any hatred brought on by the refs is self-inflicted. Burrows incident basically led to the banishment of one of their bortherhood. Then you have our GMs calling them out, diving reputation and interviews calling out the refs every year.

They hate us. There's a reason for that. Time for change.

If there is "hatred" brought on by the refs that tells you that they are unable to call an unbiased game and shows how unprofessional they are. They are supposed to be calling games by a single rulebook, not separate rulebooks for teams they like and teams they don't.

yoss

May 25, 2011
Get this guy out of the NHL. The reffing is seriously make me consider my NHL loyalties. Always be a Nucks fan, but the reffing this series (and the Boston one) coupled with the lockout, and i have a hard time taking this league seriously anymore.

It's a shame, hockey is such a great game.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
If there is "hatred" brought on by the refs that tells you that they are unable to call an unbiased game and shows how unprofessional they are. They are supposed to be calling games by a single rulebook, not separate rulebooks for teams they like and teams they don't.

under bettman, the refs rarely never do that. i think some refs learn teh tendencies of certain players and are willing to call them. say burrows/or whoever.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002

They consider it a "Guide" book... a "suggestion" book... not a "rulebook". I'm not making this up. Game Management is the goal - and the "Rulebook" is the suggestions to get there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad