OT: kelly sutherland beef with Canucks?

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Let me start by saying. I wanted the Canucks to lose because changes are needed to management and the core group.

that aside.. there is something really fishy going on with this guy and possibly all NHL officiating against this current Canucks team. Not sure if it's a beef with AV, Burrows because of the Auger incident which got him fired, or the entire team. Are Sutherland and Auger best pals? that wouldn't surprise me one bit.

I made this thread to request someone go through the games that Sutherland has worked and see if there is anything to this and maybe create a compilation video.

I'm sure the Canucks are sending something to the league but we'll never see it.

Sutherland should be fired if there is anything to this. if that happens I fear the cycle will continue with someone else though..

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Honestly, the Canucks brought this on themselves.

Instead of focusing our game on the Sharks, we complained that the Sharks cheated on the face-off dot, blame the linesmen...

And just before our elimination game, big mouth Bieksa decides to take a shot at the referees.

It was just one call, yes it was bad, but if we're gonna whine about the refs all the time, then we're no better then the gutless 0-4 Canuck team.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
Bieksa was one of the leaders for this team. To go out rambling like that is just utter senselessness of the situation. If any player on the team I am mad about hes right there on top of the list.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Yup. I think most Canucks fans are realizing that any hatred brought on by the refs is self-inflicted. Burrows incident basically led to the banishment of one of their bortherhood. Then you have our GMs calling them out, diving reputation and interviews calling out the refs every year.

They hate us. There's a reason for that. Time for change.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Honestly, the Canucks brought this on themselves.

Instead of focusing our game on the Sharks, we complained that the Sharks cheated on the face-off dot, blame the linesmen...

And just before our elimination game, big mouth Bieksa decides to take a shot at the referees.

It was just one call, yes it was bad, but if we're gonna whine about the refs all the time, then we're no better then the gutless 0-4 Canuck team.

I'm not really whining though. I just think there is no place in the NHL for unprofessional officials that act childish.

Like I said, I wanted them to lose so changes happen.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I think a lot of Canuck fans need to watch the other playoff series. The officiating has been absolutely brutal for everyone. There isn't a big conspiracy against the Canucks at work.

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
I think a lot of Canuck fans need to watch the other playoff series. The officiating has been absolutely brutal for everyone. There isn't a big conspiracy against the Canucks at work.

This. Officiating has been poor all around.

Though it is very weird how series precedent can be set. In the LA-StL series anything goes.. Regher took 5 or 6 strides before hitting Reaves into the glass DIRECTLY from behind and there was no call, which seemed odd at first, but that's pretty much the standard of that series.

Cool Hand Goof*

its like 66 penalty minutes to 26 in the van san jose series

no other series is like that , None so i think you need to stop pretending your paying attention to the reffing in the other series

your obviously not

Haka

Aug 14, 2007
I believe it was Sutherland who issued AV a bench minor late in a game vs Calgary this year that decided a game against us. I remember him saying he didn't swear and just said, "that's a penalty" or something to the like.

There's an article about it somewhere.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I bet he tried to sign up for the KVOS Canucks kids club in the 80s and his application got lost in the mail and he never forgave them. I will personally send him my autographed oversized Cliff Ronning card if he ends this madness.

Squall

Mar 22, 2013
I think a lot of Canuck fans need to watch the other playoff series. The officiating has been absolutely brutal for everyone except the Sharks . There isn't a big conspiracy against the Canucks at work.

Fixed it for ya

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
Sutherland is from Richmond, Vancouver. He is just trying too hard not look like he is biased for his home town team that he makes call tougher on Vancouver.

RoyalRed

Apr 8, 2013
The refs are the most spineless people in hockey. So a coach complains about the other team cheating on faceoffs. A ref is really going to get all worked up over that?? So much so that he's going to screw over that coach's team in the next game?

It just seems like the refs these days plant themselves on a tall pedestal and one little comment that barely pertains to the refs will have them crying like babies and vowing revenge. They're little children, is what they are. I actually have more respect for Gary Bettman or Brad Marchand than I do for the refs. Spineless wussies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
A short list;

Game 2, WCF, 2011
- Ben Eager - noted for being a goon - clobbers Daniel Sedin with a hit from a behind that could have ended much worse than it did. Two minute minor,

Game 6, SCF, 2011
- Marchand/Daniel incident.

Last season:
- Duncan Keith elbows Daniel Sedin in the face with a blatant headshot. Somehow not ejected from the game.

This season:
- Gives Vigneault that weak penalty for shouting "that's an elbow"
- On yet another Daniel Sedin play, calls him for boarding (yeah...right)

Every single one of these instances was reffed by the same guy: Kelly Sutherland. At the very least, the optics are terrible.

Eesh

Sep 27, 2006
Regina
Let me start by saying. I wanted the Canucks to lose because changes are needed to management and the core group.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories ... but I do agree with this comment.. I was also hoping we would lose.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Kevin Kyro ‏@KevinKyro 3m
HOLY crap. The last 19/20 games Kelly Sutherland has called vs Vancouver, the opposing team has had more PP's

How many games has he called since the Auger incident? What was the PP ratio in Canuck games he called before?

If we are going to witchhunt Sutherland, let's do it right!

Treefingers

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 21, 2006
Vancouver
A short list;

Game 2, WCF, 2011
- Ben Eager - noted for being a goon - clobbers Daniel Sedin with a hit from a behind that could have ended much worse than it did. Two minute minor,

Game 6, SCF, 2011
- Marchand/Daniel incident.

Last season:
- Duncan Keith elbows Daniel Sedin in the face with a blatant headshot. Somehow not ejected from the game.

This season:
- Gives Vigneault that weak penalty for shouting "that's an elbow"
- On yet another Daniel Sedin play, calls him for boarding (yeah...right)

Every single one of these instances was reffed by the same guy: Kelly Sutherland. At the very least, the optics are terrible.

Huh...I knew that Sutherland reffed a couple of those games, but not all of them. Interesting.

BC Ben

Mar 26, 2010
True North
Kevin Kyro ‏@KevinKyro 3m
HOLY crap. The last 19/20 games Kelly Sutherland has called vs Vancouver, the opposing team has had more PP's

Yup... And in most of those games, the calls were valid, BUT not called on the other team. Reminds me of last night's shenanigans.

stevecanuck16

Jul 28, 2009
Here's the thing that really gets me.

Yes, the Canucks have a reputation, and yes, they have earned that reputation to some degree.

But those who watch the Canucks on a regular basis are pretty much unanimous that the team has improved leaps and bounds in these areas. Diving, embellishment, and complaining have all been seen much less than in the past. All players have improved in this regard, with some seeming to cut it out entirely (Burrows).

And yet, have we been rewarded in any way for this improvement? No. So why did we bother moving on from that style of play that everyone else hated so much? Where is the incentive?

Not only were we not rewarded for this, we watched the San Jose Sharks use those same tactics we were hated for and achieve success with them. Yes, we deserved to lose the series, no doubt. But this particular aspect is very frustrating as a fan.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Yup. I think most Canucks fans are realizing that any hatred brought on by the refs is self-inflicted. Burrows incident basically led to the banishment of one of their bortherhood. Then you have our GMs calling them out, diving reputation and interviews calling out the refs every year.

They hate us. There's a reason for that. Time for change.

Ehhh... it's a bit of both imo, but most of the time it shouldn't matter if you've got your squad in order.

The refs are certainly awful. It's not just this season it has been many seasons of just shaddy officiating.

Worst for me was when the Canucks PP was unreal and refs simply refused to call penalties on the opposition for fear of the Canucks running up the score. THAT was painful.

But the Canucks have, typically, complained more openly than other teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad