Confirmed with Link: Kelly Buchberger re-hired and will join OKC coaching staff

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Is re-hired really accurate?

Isn't that implying that he was no longer with the organization but was just re-hired today specifically for this position?

As far as I know he has been in the organization the entire time.. I don't know what his role was exactly but he did not get fired from the Oilers when they made the coaching changes, he was moved into some other role so the OBC could continue their reign of terror.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Well, how else are they going to be able to spin his taking over the Oilers HC duties when they fire Nelson at the end of the season after he doesn't immediately turn things around.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I know everyone is feeling negative and down in the dumps, but is this really that big of a deal?

The knock on Buchberger was that he had done nothing to earn his coaching opportunities, and was given plum head coaching assignments in the AHL/assistant coaching assignments in the NHL without gaining any experience at lower levels first.

...so we move him to an assistant coach/player development role in the AHL and people are mad? This is the definition of the entry level position that he should have had to begin with. If you're replacing a coach on a moment's notice, it makes sense to use a guy in the organization to cover a gap 3 or 4 levels below the NHL HC position.

Don't really see the big deal here. I'm pissed at this team, including all ranks of management, and can barely watch the games anymore. But I've got enough things to be negative about. I'm not going to let the negativity cloud my common sense.

Bucky back with the minor league team or being involved at all is not common sense. It is as simple as that.

ScrillaVilla

Sep 22, 2008
Edmonton
Bucky back with the minor league team or being involved at all is not common sense. It is as simple as that.

The optics are bad, no doubt, and it certainly doesn't run in line with what this organization should be doing, which is purging the old boys club. But it is only on an interim basis. If he stays longer term it should be based on performance. If the team does well and our draft picks show development, I am fine with it.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
eafWT61.gif

There it is! He-yo!

:laugh:

Jun 9, 2011
He is just another tentacle on a bad octopus. We need to remove the Octopus, moving it around in the organization won`t work.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
geez guys, it's the AHL, and he's joining the staff, which I take to mean that he's not head coach over there. Besides, after the team implosion this season I can't see how we can blame our team's poor performance while he was here on him.

Jun 9, 2011
geez guys, it's the AHL, and he's joining the staff, which I take to mean that he's not head coach over there. Besides, after the team implosion this season I can't see how we can blame our team's poor performance while he was here on him.

Visually it`s a bad move.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
I know everyone is feeling negative and down in the dumps, but is this really that big of a deal?

The knock on Buchberger was that he had done nothing to earn his coaching opportunities, and was given plum head coaching assignments in the AHL/assistant coaching assignments in the NHL without gaining any experience at lower levels first.

...so we move him to an assistant coach/player development role in the AHL and people are mad? This is the definition of the entry level position that he should have had to begin with. If you're replacing a coach on a moment's notice, it makes sense to use a guy in the organization to cover a gap 3 or 4 levels below the NHL HC position.

Don't really see the big deal here. I'm pissed at this team, including all ranks of management, and can barely watch the games anymore. But I've got enough things to be negative about. I'm not going to let the negativity cloud my common sense.

lol i'm sure you know where this is leading to...c'mon think about it....yep...there it is. You know in your heart its true. Buchy will come back in a couple years to be our new HC.

Dave

Oct 27, 2009
Is there a company on planet earth that makes decisions that are as constantly bad as oilers? ** and remains in business, let alone successful

This organization is just a joke.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
It doesnt matter minor role or not. The optics are horrible. This organization has no shame.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I think it's pretty obvious Katz told them they weren't allowed to waste more of his money on terribad personnel choices.

All of these changes, reek of 'not spending a single cent' of Katz's money.

I think this might be the final year of the OBC! THe trust is gone!

HORRAY!!!!!

:D

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Progress being shown with your minor league team? Solution, remove the head coach into a gig as a rookie and prepare him to be head coach in the pros. Re Hire your former minor league head coach of one season who was awful and who players hated.

What?

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Progress being shown with your minor league team? Solution, remove the head coach into a gig as a rookie and prepare him to be head coach in the pros. Re Hire your former minor league head coach of one season who was awful and who players hated.

What?

But he's not the head coach. He is an interim assistant. One of their two assistants got the HC position, so it only makes sense the at least temporarily fill one of the AC positions.

And is there any proof whatsoever of players hating him? The "he said, she said" stuff doesn't count.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
If its such an insignificant minor role then why agitate an already irate fan base with what will only be perceived as persistent nepotism?

What troubles me most is that the organization is well aware of how upset this teams fans are and they go and do something like this. Do they lack any sort of common sense to pull the trigger to such a move?

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Believe it or not guys i doubt guys are lining up to take an AHL assistant gig half way through the season on a makeshift coaching staff. Buchburger makes sense as a fill in coach afaik, in saying that i've never been in the room with him coaching so he may be good/awful but at the end of the day he's available and experienced.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad