Confirmed with Link: Kelly Buchberger re-hired and will join OKC coaching staff

Comic Book Guy*

Per Dregs

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger • 2m2 minutes ago
Kelly Buchberger will join OKC coaching staff on an interim basis as Oilers organizational shuffle continues.

Bucky is now going to help develop our minor league players. Musical chairs continue.

Discuss

6f6.gif

**REASSIGNED. Apologies to those up in arms about the title. My intention was not to misinform. It was to make light out of this questionable organizational move.

Last edited by a moderator:

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Literally no one outside of the Oilers organization is happy about this. Assistant coach on an interim basis or not, he doesn't deserve it.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Lol.

That's really all there is too it.

Please god let these idiots be fired in the off-season.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Apparently he was good with players last time in the AHL, but the optics of this are just horrid. Whether he is the right man for the job or not, this team needed to go in another direction.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
He was never fired. They promoted (lol) him to Manager of Player Personnel when he got taken off the coaching staff in the summer.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Apparently he was good with players last time in the AHL, but the optics of this are just horrid. Whether he is the right man for the job or not, this team needed to go in another direction.

That team finished 11th of 14 teams in their conference and outside of Dubnyk not a single player developed into a full-time NHLer.

This organization....... :laugh:

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The Oilers remind of of these cheesy horror show series of movies, where Jason or Micheal Myers or Chucky or Freedy Krueger, they get killed off one moive...but no! They come back for the next one.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Oh good, you put this on the main board with the same wrong information so people can pile on.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That team finished 11th of 14 teams in their conference and outside of Dubnyk not a single player developed into a full-time NHLer.

This organization....... :laugh:

I said good with players, nothing about him being a good coach.:laugh:

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
He was never fired. They promoted (lol) him to Manager of Player Personnel when he got taken off the coaching staff in the summer.

Indeed. That is also what the website says, so I doubt they had to do any re-hiring for somebody that was already on the payroll. Rather than go with one less coach in OKC, they sent somebody with coaching experience that was already with the org. Let's all freak out about something that makes basic sense.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

He wasn't

He screamed at the players the whole time, and the franchise turned into such a debacle in his lone year as HC, that it was on par with the mess of an Eakins led NHL team.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Kelly "Cockroach" Buchberger...can never be killed off

I know he was never fired, but not the least bit surprised they gave them another position in the org.

dude would never be employed by another team

I ain't even mad anymore.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
He wasn't

He screamed at the players the whole time, and the franchise turned into such a debacle in his lone year as HC, that it was on par with the mess of an Eakins led NHL team.

That's how I remember it as well...I'd heard that the players nearly without exception couldn't stand him because he offered nothing but criticism.

The fact that he was taken out of that job within a year of being put in the job was a sign that even Lowe realized what a horrible fit Bucky was as a head coach there.

Alex87

May 26, 2008
Edmonton
I know everyone is feeling negative and down in the dumps, but is this really that big of a deal?

The knock on Buchberger was that he had done nothing to earn his coaching opportunities, and was given plum head coaching assignments in the AHL/assistant coaching assignments in the NHL without gaining any experience at lower levels first.

...so we move him to an assistant coach/player development role in the AHL and people are mad? This is the definition of the entry level position that he should have had to begin with. If you're replacing a coach on a moment's notice, it makes sense to use a guy in the organization to cover a gap 3 or 4 levels below the NHL HC position.

Don't really see the big deal here. I'm pissed at this team, including all ranks of management, and can barely watch the games anymore. But I've got enough things to be negative about. I'm not going to let the negativity cloud my common sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad