Confirmed with Link: Keith Yandle Signs One Year Deal With Flyers ($900K W/ NTC)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Me any time Yanda is on the ice

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Would be a nice 7th dman to work with York or Zamula. Maybe play the offside to give Braun a game off occasionally.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Remember when he actually looked good the first 5 games of the season?
Unbelievable, how quickly the wheels have come off. Yandle and Braun broke down almost at the same time.

That's due to the Ellis injury.

Yandle was highly sheltered in Florida and was fine in the regular season, he was sheltered to start the season, but when Ellis went down, he got Seeler on his right side.
Seeler is a solid 7th D-man asked to play every day on his wrong side with a partner who has skating limitations.

The guy who is really hurt is Braun, his 5x5 minutes have gone up from 14:50 to 15:43 to 16:25 the last three years, and TOI from 17:16 to 18:31 to 19:39. That's too much to ask of him, put him with Yandle and keep his minutes down to 15 a game and I'll bet they both look a lot better.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
The NTC on a nearly league minimum deal remains my favorite part. I know that swayed him to sign, but has any player ever received a <$1MM, 1 year NTC before? SONK.

Man, Chuck was definitely proud of himself on this one.
But it's not a NMC so they can still send him to the minors if he doesn't play well. No harm no foul.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't understand the connection between Ellis and Yandle's individual ability to skate or pass or protect the puck in one-on-one situations.

Ellis out meant Braun is overused and Seeler plays RHD.
Yandle would be better with Braun with fresh legs CYA for him.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I like Fletcher but Yandle has been by far the worst decision he's made.

He is the worst Flyers defenseman I've ever watched in my entire life, and I've watched some bad ones. In fact, it's not even close. There is no way he should be in the NHL.

I figured, hell, what's $900k on a 1-year-deal for a sheltered 3rd pairing blueliner who still has put up excellent power play numbers. He can't be much worse defensively than Ghost. And he'll be good for the locker room.

I'm sure Fletcher thought the same things.

Yeah, well, I was wrong, and Fletcher was wrong. Yandle is a complete disaster on ice, he couldn't find his way around the defensive zone with a map, and the worst part is they are stuck playing him until he breaks the ironman record.

Might as well dress 7 defensemen and restrict his usage to PP-only. Maybe if that's all he has to focus on he can at least be average there.

Reactions: Yandover and SR1919

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I like Fletcher but Yandle has been by far the worst decision he's made.

He is the worst Flyers defenseman I've ever watched in my entire life, and I've watched some bad ones. In fact, it's not even close. There is no way he should be in the NHL.

I figured, hell, what's $900k on a 1-year-deal for a sheltered 3rd pairing blueliner who still has put up excellent power play numbers. He can't be much worse defensively than Ghost. And he'll be good for the locker room.

I'm sure Fletcher thought the same things.

Yeah, well, I was wrong, and Fletcher was wrong. Yandle is a complete disaster on ice, he couldn't find his way around the defensive zone with a map, and the worst part is they are stuck playing him until he breaks the ironman record.

Might as well dress 7 defensemen and restrict his usage to PP-only. Maybe if that's all he has to focus on he can at least be average there.

Really? Worse than a 1st plus for Ristolainen?

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013

It's not a 1st plus for Risto. It's a 1st, 2nd, Hagg, and Ghost.

The Flyers gave up a lot and made their team worse.

I love how some people here thought "they beat Montreal who went to the cup, so they must be a contender" are very slowly walking back from what they posted. The Flyers looked their best during that playoff series when Ghost played. That team got super lucky to beat Montreal and was a dud. I swear some people most only watch the stat sheet.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Absolutely. That trade doesn't bother me in the slightest. I don't think they gave up anywhere remotely as much value as people on here make it out to be. Not all 13th overall picks are the same, and if ever there were a draft to trade the 13th pick it was last summer.

Reactions: Yandover

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

I love how some people here thought "they beat Montreal who went to the cup, so they must be a contender" are very slowly walking back from what they posted. The Flyers looked their best during that playoff series when Ghost played. That team got super lucky to beat Montreal and was a dud. I swear some people most only watch the stat sheet.

Ghost was gone in any case, AV didn't want to play him, and Fletcher didn't want him blocking York and Zamula next year.
Hagg was a throw-in, he's not much different than Seeler, both could be adequate 3rd pair guys with the right partner, but both are fungible.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Absolutely. That trade doesn't bother me in the slightest. I don't think they gave up anywhere remotely as much value as people on here make it out to be. Not all 13th overall picks are the same, and if ever there were a draft to trade the 13th pick it was last summer.

Talk about trying to diminish the value of a 1st round pick.

They either traded the 1st round pick for either zero value (Risto walks), likely diminished value (less value than the 13th pick at the TDL) or double down on their mistake and sign him long term for big money.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Ghost was gone in any case, AV didn't want to play him, and Fletcher didn't want him blocking York and Zamula next year.
Hagg was a throw-in, he's not much different than Seeler, both could be adequate 3rd pair guys with the right partner, but both are fungible.

Soooooo.... if you have a coach that doesn't like the current roster you should negatively effect your roster's ability and cap space/available currency (picks/prospects)?

Let's just say at the end of this year Ghost has over 40 points. You don't think they can't trade him at 1 year / 4.5 and not get back positive value? This was a flat out disaster. Trading value and likely signing a player not worth his next contract.

A good coach can squeeze the talent they have available on the roster out, a bad coach needs specific players.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014

Yeah, trust me, I've read all of the complaining. I don't agree that they gave up much. I absolutely don't agree that it "made their team worse."
All of the Ghost fans who disparaged Ristolainen as the worst defenseman in hockey or close to it were big on citing xGF%, and now that Risto has a higher xGF%/60 rel than Ghost, it's crickets.

Reactions: lancer247

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Soooooo.... if you have a coach that doesn't like the current roster you should negatively effect your roster's ability and cap space/available currency (picks/prospects)?

Let's just say at the end of this year Ghost has over 40 points. You don't think they can't trade him at 1 year / 4.5 and not get back positive value? This was a flat out disaster. Trading value and likely signing a player not worth his next contract.

A good coach can squeeze the talent they have available on the roster out, a bad coach needs specific players.

How much value did Gus have? Or Butcher?
Scoring by defenseman doesn't necessarily create value, you might have gotten something for Ghost with 1yr/$4.5M, but it wouldn't have been a 1st rd pick.

Every coach wants his players, Rutherford cleared out the roster for Sullivan to bring up his players from the AHL.
And most teams have struggled with the flat cap, Zito paid for Zona to take Stralman off his hands.
He gave up a 2nd rd pick and Vladislav Kolyachonok, D, #52 in 2019.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Yeah, trust me, I've read all of the complaining. I don't agree that they gave up much. I absolutely don't agree that it "made their team worse."
All of the Ghost fans who disparaged Ristolainen as the worst defenseman in hockey or close to it were big on citing xGF%, and now that Risto has a higher xGF%/60 rel than Ghost, it's crickets.

Huh what?

One guy is leading his team in scoring and the other guy well... has 5 points.

Now you need to use stats as a way to justify your point rather than actual on ice production? It's pretty comical how much people change their argument point to suit their narrative.

"Stats don't matter"........errr.......... "stats do matter!"

This really isn't a topic that's debatable. It was a bad deal then and it's a bad deal now.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
How much value did Gus have? Or Butcher?
Scoring by defenseman doesn't necessarily create value, you might have gotten something for Ghost with 1yr/$4.5M, but it wouldn't have been a 1st rd pick.

Every coach wants his players, Rutherford cleared out the roster for Sullivan to bring up his players from the AHL.
And most teams have struggled with the flat cap, Zito paid for Zona to take Stralman off his hands.
He gave up a 2nd rd pick and Vladislav Kolyachonok, D, #52 in 2019.

How on earth does scoring by defenseman not create value? Not sure if you're aware but you don't win the game with a goal total of 0 ever. If I'm wrong please cite a game.

Did I say first round pick? I said positive value. (1st round to 7th round pick, prospect, etc)

Teams struggled with the flat cap because they continually make bone headed roster decisions.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad